1000 Scania V8

mack mhe9

Its a shame that with the joint history of Mack and Scania that the two couldnt have been partnered up now, rather than Volvo. After looking at Scania's web site and seeing their own planetary axles and transmissions, Scania seems to be focused on "balanced design" just like the Mack of old. Besides a revamped E9 in a new Mack, a Scania V8 would sure fit the bill better than a MP10!

• Like 1

thanks for the information, I had heard about 143's so that must be him, will get in touch with them for a chat.... yes, there are Scania's in the Toronto area owned by legacy transport of woodstock ontario... IIRC the have 142 and 143 tractors, may talk to DOT and RIV about importing an age compiant vehicle as I can register them as a 'collector car' here in BC .

I was trolling the internet a couple of years ago looking for a 3 axle tractor, either an F89 or 141 but the prices are getting too stupid with barn find relics from Greece and Spain hitting the tens of thousands if they still have a tin worm free cab... I do enjoy my MH613 E9 and if I could acquire both of the EU trucks I would be a very happy man... but very broke. :whistling:

BC Mack

You're welcome BC. I hope you are able to acquire an import. That would be really cool. Super Show Rigs,com has a pic from last years Englishtown of their R Series if you want to check it out.

Cheers, Rob

When I worked for Atlas Van Lines,we once had a Scania "loaner" truck while one of the Whites was in the shop,i drove it a few times,but much like Volvo,the European symbols are hard to read/understand,and it had some sort of goofy 7 speed direct trans that would NOT come out of gear till a "shift indicator" light came on! very hard to shift,never got a good "feel" for it. I don't remember what model it was,but it was a single axle,integral sleeper like this one,it did have good power,pickup not a V-8 but a turbo in-line 6 IIRC..........................Mark

I sat in a new Scania that Franks GMC had at Englishtown. I didn't like the exhaust brake controlled by the brake pedal and I didn't like the shape of the gear lever. The rest of the truck was pretty cool.

Other than displacement there seem to be few similarities between the E-9 and the scania v-8. Individual cylinders and heads etc.

v-8 animations

The same engine was built up two different ways. Scania utilized the individual cylinder head design (favored in Europe at the time), while Mack used a two-cylinder head design (four heads total). Also, Mack used a dry sleeve liner design while Scania chose wet sleeves.

I sat in a new Scania that Franks GMC had at Englishtown. I didn't like the exhaust brake controlled by the brake pedal and I didn't like the shape of the gear lever. The rest of the truck was pretty cool.

I assume that truck was an older 3-Series? Step ahead to the present and drive the New R-Series. It will take your breath away.

After looking at Scania's web site and seeing their own planetary axles and transmissions, Scania seems to be focused on "balanced design" just like the Mack of old. Besides a revamped E9 in a new Mack, a Scania V8 would sure fit the bill better than a MP10!

Scania and Mack easily forged a decades long relationship because they shared the same "balanced design" philosophy. They identified mutually beneficial synergies that at the same time never encroached on the uniqueness of each truckmaker..

• 2 years later...