650 Maxidyne Superliner at Museum:

Ok not looking to start any fights yet I've seen in the past when some one asks about turning up there 350 some say not much more or there's block issues. I've see the marine spec. HP numbers and I'm sure they are using factory blocks. So at 650 did they cast a block with more webbing or better then average metal? Or is there a certain casting you should look for? Just wondering. Thanks

I've had conversations with some of the old timers in my area and I respect their opinion and they said with the 350's not too much with rack of the pump, injectors, etc. When I worked for Gulino he did the cam and mains on his 350 as well as the pump and it was probably putting out 400 or better. It made a difference. The truck ran like a raped ape for a tandem dump.

Cheers, Rob

I've seen a few of the mid 80's 350's that were turned up break the webbing out of the block, but I 'be seen a lot stay together too. I guess there are a few variables there, probably a lot has to do with how it gets driven after you turn them up.

I read on the card in front of the truck that the engine was built by the ''Hagerstown Boy''s and ''put together from components'' .. seems like they built a prototype? and it also said it was a built glider kit.

it said on the sign that the truck was originally a glider. and like matt said if you looked at the sign in front of the truck when it goes down through the specs of it next to engine it said "Hagerstown Special"

Brian

1959 B61T

They could have reinforced the cylinder block with internal ribbing, and added a lower steel ladder reinforcement to strengthen the engine's main bearing area. Nowadays, we'd make the block out of Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI) for greater strength (and other benefits).

But when mentioning the high horsepower marine adaptations, it's of course important to note they're operating at constant rpms.

They could have reinforced the cylinder block with internal ribbing, and added a lower steel ladder reinforcement to strengthen the engine's main bearing area. Nowadays, we'd make the block out of Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI) for greater strength (and other benefits).

But when mentioning the high horsepower marine adaptations, it's of course important to note they're operating at constant rpms.

This is very true

Ive heard everything from 8% to 28% for driveline loss and I cant ever figure it out so I just guesstimate unless I can get someone to tell me what they think they are making. I would guess it was closer to 500 than 560 flywheel but it was a bad dude for sure. I gotta get STAXX going on putting my 85 on the rollers to see some before and after turbo and injector numbers, if my clutch holds out.

since Idk what is at the crank the truck is factory 600. dyno'd when the crank was put in and 553 to the rear wheels, Only mod is pittsburgh power exhaust manifold and small muffler.

marine engines operate less frequently (typically) and for shorter bursts of power often at a constant RPM. less use, less time revving allows for higher HP. its a trade off like all things in life. more power=shorter life, lower power=longer life. exceptions to all rules of course.

I imagine this truck was built by the dealer as a promo using select marine parts and a little advice from hagerstown