Dynatard vs Jacobs

jonk32000

Loved my Jake on the 6nz, never used the brakes, can't say much for the powerleash on the 05. I have to roll down the window to see if it's working,the brakes will be changed often I believe. Maybe they are better on the new Mack/Volvo engines. I sure do like the new Macks and what I have been hearing about them. Seing alot on the road lately, the new Petes and KW's are a nightmare of troubles. Mack CH mid roof forward axle is a pleasing eye full!!!

go with a jacobs engine brake and that exhaust brake and you would be REAL happy, most people think the exhaust flow slows with the engine brake on but it has the opposite effect it speeds up thats how you build boost with it on, theres not as much cylinder pressure when the intake valve opens so the pressure differential is such that you dont make as much boost but it helps.

Can't put a Jake on a DTA 466 so that's why I have the Blue OX. You're right the exhaust brake builds back pressure. Oh I also on the first rebuild put heavier valve springs in her.

The jakes on the 3406e cat 550 I drove at work was awesome. If it was raining out and was bob tail you could not safely use the jake above 1600rpm. it would try to lock the rears and the abs would detect it and kick it off.. Going over most interstate hills I could maintain direct or one gear lower, 35-45 mph @ 1900 rpm and it would hold the truck back @ 73k gross...

This 400 Mack I drive now..I don't think the jake would hold me back at 10mph 2100!

deffinately the mp series have the best engine brake mack has ever had. i was talking to an older gentlemen who loves cummins and he said the mp8 powerleash is as good or better than an n14 cummins, the mp7 is rated at 420 brking hp the mp8 is rated a t 425 brake hp and the mp10 is rated at 575 brake hp

The jakes on the 3406e cat 550 I drove at work was awesome. If it was raining out and was bob tail you could not safely use the jake above 1600rpm. it would try to lock the rears and the abs would detect it and kick it off.. Going over most interstate hills I could maintain direct or one gear lower, 35-45 mph @ 1900 rpm and it would hold the truck back @ 73k gross...

This 400 Mack I drive now..I don't think the jake would hold me back at 10mph 2100!

If its that weak it needs to be rebuilt and or adjusted, they aren't the best but I could pretty much use the Jake on my E7 400 to stop the truck.
  • Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

i think alot of people bad mouth mack engine brakes but if they had to drive a mack with out any engine brake at all they would see that they arent as bad as they say. we had a 87 superliner with a e6 350 and a dynatard that kept shorting out. it was a big differance between no dynatard and atleast having it work

• 6 years later...