1933 Mack Type 50...more questions then answers!

TRFD1933

Anyone have an idea as to what the torque spec might be for the valve covers? I looked through the shop manual and could not find any indication. I believe when the manifold comes back to the welder, a safe torque of 40 lbs should be adequate. Thanks again!

Just a GUESS on the side covers would be 10 lbs. I can't imagine it would be too much at all.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

The side cover torque will depend on what you are using to seal them. If you go with modern sealants, i.e. silicone, then I would torque very lightly (10-20 ft/lbs)and then check for leaks. Re-tighten if it leaks. If you stick with old school tech than you will have to tighten them more to start with. I would use modern sealants in addition to the gaskets.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 1 month later...

I wrote this some time ago wih no response, but still hopeful someone might have an answer.

This rod was connected to the exhaust manifold, which when moved would pre-heat the gas/air mix in the intake manifold. Does anyone know where the other end would have gone? The only place I can find that might work would be onto the throttle linkage, but that seems obsurd to me.

If anyone has any knowledge of this system, please let me know.

Thanks again for everyone intelligence and help getting the old girl up to snuff!

post-15089-0-33268300-1379525784_thumb.j

Edited by TRFD1933

• 1 year later...

Very nice!!

The pre heat linkage, when I get back to Virginia an a month, I'll look at my 1934 AC 6 and see if it has it. If so,I'll take a few photos of it.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Very nice!!

The pre heat linkage, when I get back to Virginia an a month, I'll look at my 1934 AC 6 and see if it has it. If so,I'll take a few photos of it.

Yes please do! We made a plate and a baffle for now to keep the gasses flowing out. Just had no damn clue where the other end of the rod goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Looks like on paint once before after it left the factory! Appears to be a nice job on it. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Looks like on paint once before after it left the factory! Appears to be a nice job on it. Paul

Fortunately we had original paint under the pump gauges we were able to color match to.

Fortunately we had original paint under the pump gauges we were able to color match to.

Was it MACK Code 400? If so was the match mixed in PPG , Dupont or? Could you get the new paint number? Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Was it MACK Code 400? If so was the match mixed in PPG , Dupont or? Could you get the new paint number? Paul

I will have to look into the paint code for you. I believe its a PPG epoxy paint.

If you write to the Mack Museum to ask about the linkage they should be able to supply you with shop drawings of the original and most probably what it was connected to.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I want to say that I did inquire with them on that and the gentleman at the shop couldnt answer that. The example they had there did not have the preheater. Apparently most of the examples of manifolds with the preheaters have long since rotted away.

Linkage and locations between the AC 6 and your engine are different, but the components used are the same. This is what the AC 6 has. An AK series may have the same set up. (I don't have an AK . . .yet) Best I can do is give you an idea of what and how it works. From what I gather the parts are interchangeable. Paul

click pic

post-3242-0-30278700-1437771613_thumb.jp

P.T.CHESHIRE

Just saw this thread today. Very nice truck. In reading the posts, last year you said finding a rebuild kit for the carb, SF3, was impossible. Not so. Call Treadwell carburetor in New York. Very nice folks. I bought three rebuild kits for the SF3 last year from them, as I have these on some AC's I own. Very reasonable price, and they can overhaul your carb (or just about any other, old or new).

Just saw this thread today. Very nice truck. In reading the posts, last year you said finding a rebuild kit for the carb, SF3, was impossible. Not so. Call Treadwell carburetor in New York. Very nice folks. I bought three rebuild kits for the SF3 last year from them, as I have these on some AC's I own. Very reasonable price, and they can overhaul your carb (or just about any other, old or new).

Thank you for the connection. Luckily my father and I rebuilt the carb and were able to make a duplicate gasket. So far running like a top.

Just now saw this post, great story and pictures. My truck is a "BB" model, and was converted from a chassis/ cowl to a fire truck. It has a Prospect pump, bed , and seat adapted to the truck. It is currently apart, restoring it complete from frame up.

I recently got a carb gasket set for a carb like your off ebay for a carb off a 1923 Ahrens-Fox front pumper that I am working on for the Vintage Fire Museum in Indiana.

Does anyone have any idea what was stamped on the back of our Stewart Warner Spedo / odometer? I see the A.8 and the 09, but unsure where the paint has fallen off near the tamper device. I believe it is a BG-0 then unsure.

post-15089-0-90943800-1438107554_thumb.j

Sorry I'm not a helper for a fire stuff, just want to say you work with the beautiful truck!

Seems like a lot of job.

Good luck on the project!

Vlad

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 2 months later...

Siren Help!

Looking to see if anyone may have some knowledge as to where I may be able to locate a Sterling Siren as depicted on the images. I was a week late in acquiring one from ebay Damn it!

Looking at the original factory photos, I believe this is the type that was mounted to the rail on the drivers side. Thanks!

post-15089-0-55702200-1443810185_thumb.j

post-15089-0-10215200-1443810215_thumb.j