When Mack Trucks roamed Asia

for some reason old school mack guys never liked the ch cab . me being younger dont have a problem with the ch cab its wider, quieter and had nicer interiors than the r model cab . i dont see why people didnt like it ?

The current cab is based on the CH cab. The original Maxi-Glas door shells which I preferred, shared with the MH Ultra-Liner, were replaced with cheaper steel doors.

The CH cab entered the scene in 1988, supplied by Sheller-Globe.

Connecting the dots to the current supplier CVG, Sheller-Globe purchased Motor Panels of the UK and then put the Norwalk Mack cab plant under its new Motor Panels division. Then that division was sold in 1989 to UK-based CH Industrials, which was sold in 1991 to UK-based Mayflower Vehicle Systems, which was sold in 2005 to CVG (Commercial Vehicle Group, which has acquired Bostrom and National seating).

So currently, CVG stamps and assembles the cabs under contract in a run-down plant in Kings Mountain, North Carolina, originally located there to supply the Winnsboro, South Carolina plant.

Volvo Group owns the worn-out last generation technology cab tooling (CVG just uses it) and refuses to invest in any refurbishment because the narrowed North American version of the new Volvo global cab platform is in the pipelne.

Every day, these 25 year old cabs are shipped 500 miles all the way from Kings Mountain to Macungie.

I have to agree with you that the Maxi-Glass doors were superior to the daylight window steel doors. the internals I feel have been cheapened in the steel doors and they only have an automotive style door panel not a steel panel to enclose the door internals. My biggest complaint is the horrible door stop that with little time gives out and lets the door hit the A pillar when open. This is a big problem in dump truck applications where the the door is constantly being leaned upon when rolling tarps or opening tailgates. You could support your entire body weight on an R model door hinge that never wore out. The external Maxi glass stop was much better than the joke that is offered now.

• Like 1

i grew up in the r models and superliners too but ill tale the CL ELITE INTERIOR that i have now over the old gray vinyl and steel of the r cabs. plus after 12 hrs in a CL i feel much less tired than a driving an old r series. i will say the dash panels suck on the older ch style. our titans look to be a better set up and they have a dead pedal to rest your left foot on i also think the CH type cab doors "the steel ones dont rot out as bad as the old r series doors. we just sold a 97 CL and the doors were just starting to rot . our 89 superliner doors were both rotted out by by the year 2000. so 16 yrs on the CL vs 11 yrs on the RW

I like the R because it's cozy. But the room in a CL/CH is nice. I agree the old CH dashes were retarded. The new layout is much improved. For our dump truck applications in our area of Jersey/tri state area the R cab had just enough room for you and your personal shit. Bring in a passenger and you were screwed. LOL! I had everything in just the right place but if somebody jumped in my space it was mayhem. :pat:

Cheers, Rob

True story, we got our first CH in the early 90`s to start replacing the R`s and Superliners, THE first time it rolled into the shop we all looked it over and the old head Mack mechs hated it in 5 minutes..I was 28 at the time, but had been around Macks since the B Model, and their hate most likely lasts until this day. It wasn't rugged, it wasn't tough as nails..we done like it..To me it kept the Mack name out there in volume..

Still the Greatest Name in Trucks...Bulldogs rule, The rest drool....

Member ATHS and ATCA...

True story, we got our first CH in the early 90`s to start replacing the R`s and Superliners, THE first time it rolled into the shop we all looked it over and the old head Mack mechs hated it in 5 minutes..I was 28 at the time, but had been around Macks since the B Model, and their hate most likely lasts until this day. It wasn't rugged, it wasn't tough as nails..we done like it..To me it kept the Mack name out there in volume..

i dont know ive been driving my CL for almost 10 yrs over some very rough roads. have you been to vt in the winter ? frost heaves and rough woods roads and the cab of my truck hasnt had any major issues with it falling apart. only the cherry wood dash panels have been a pain in the butt as the inserts stripped out. i think alot of guys just didnt like the looks of the ch series trucks so they didnt give them a chance. i swear theres alot of old school mack guys thatwould rather have a 78 r model with a 300 6 speed and get blown off the road all day long than to have new chu or titan and actually keep up to traffic lol.

i dont know ive been driving my CL for almost 10 yrs over some very rough roads. have you been to vt in the winter ? frost heaves and rough woods roads and the cab of my truck hasnt had any major issues with it falling apart. only the cherry wood dash panels have been a pain in the butt as the inserts stripped out. i think alot of guys just didnt like the looks of the ch series trucks so they didnt give them a chance. i swear theres alot of old school mack guys thatwould rather have a 78 r model with a 300 6 speed and get blown off the road all day long than to have new chu or titan and actually keep up to traffic lol.

Pennsylvania roads and banging them around construction sites and batch plants with bulk cement trailers..they did pretty well..

Still the Greatest Name in Trucks...Bulldogs rule, The rest drool....

Member ATHS and ATCA...

• 2 weeks later...

I was sent this pic recently more becuase of my work on the Volvo NL types for this market

I can tell you the NL,s were for Caltex.. they were built with Allison HT750 Trans usually with a retarder..

I worked on them maybe around 15 yrs ago - supplied from the Volvo Factory in Australia

For the Mack sorry no info but maybe its sign its still in use

post-3299-0-72938400-1373630842_thumb.jp