A model parts source?

Thinking about buying a '51 A40... I see Watts doesn't list any A model stuff. Is there any source for restoration pieces for one of these trucks? I has a 160 Cummins, which I have also had little luck in finding any info on.. Is there a Cummins dealer or shop that deals with parts for the older model engines such as that? Any info would be great.

Thanks

Jason

Good luck. I hate to say my experience is that these beauties are tough to find parts for. I believe that the cab is exactly the same as the E series, the nose is quite a mongrel. I do not think the power plants even interchange with other series.I have even toyed with the idea of losing the hood and fenders and making a Mack roadster for novelty (sorry purists) Mine has a blown EN377 and I want to drop a DT466 in it to modernize it. so I can use it to pull a trailer to shows. Good luck because all that said, I think they are one of the neater looking Macks out there. The first step would be Macungie if you are anywhere near it. Good luck!

theres an A model nose and fenders on Craigslist right now in CT or Mass. they arent terribly hard to find parts for just a little harder than a B or R model. most any B model engine i believe would fit in an A model with a little work, i have even seen a 237 in one somewhere. the A models had the same basic overheard Valve block that some B models used so its not that hard to retorfit another engine in one, as far as i know a DT466 IH engine will not even fit in a B model without major modification. the water pump is too long to fit in a B model unless you move the engine back and modify the firewall.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

The engine is supposed to run great, has good oil pressure, etc... The front sheet metal is also supposed to be pretty decent. I realize there is going to be stuff I gotta make, but parts trucks aren't exactly growing on trees around here either!

Jason

After talking to the guy I don't get the impression he would scrap it, he has a few Mack's including a W71 cabover.. It really is exactly what I'm looking for price wise and the kind of shape it's in. Runs/drives but needs cosmetic attention.. Was just hoping there would be a source for truck parts or older model cummins stuff. Local cummins dealer has no listings for anything that old.

Jason

I recieved this list from Don Schumacher from the MACK Museum. There are a few A model suppliers there. Paul

http://www.macktrucks.com/assets/mack/Corporate/MackMuseum/PARTSSUPPLIERSFOROLDTRUCKS.pdf

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ya I have no intention of changing engines... It fires right up and carries 80lbs of oil pressure! Looked through the parts listing...looks like all private individuals and used parts. I'm going to need new stuff like weather stripping and a windshield seal, rear window seal, etc.. Any idea on a source for that type of stuff?

Jason

I have had good luck with Restoration Specialties for w/s, rubber plugs, grommets, rubber mat material for the floor, etc.

They have a few things that are Mack A model specific but most items you will have to match up and get close.

www.restorationspecialties.com/

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Thanks for the link... Ill check it out.. Can't wait to see some more pics of this thing. Really hope I can work out a deal on it and get it home. Tooling around town in an A model is going to get some looks, I've never seen one in person anywhere around the Midwest.

Jason

I have never had a real problem finding items for my A model. Mechanically I have found all the parts I needed to completely re-do the brakes and rebuild the rear end and transfer case. Body parts: I used a set of aftermarket headlights that are basically identical to the originals and the aforementioned Restoration Specialties had the hood lacing, fender welt, and hood corners I needed.

As long as the basic sheet metal is sound you shouldn't have any problem locating any small items you need.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thats my dads A model I will post some photos on here , The Fenders, Hood and Grille are blasted and in etching primer in the garage and need minimal attention. The cab is really good ,the hardest part would be the glass but most glass shops should be able to cut glass and hook you up with the rubber . This thing is a walk in the park restoration compared to our w71 lol