Mack MH Freedom Series trucks

• 4 weeks later...

On the subject of the MH Mack Cabover,I used to drive for a Ryder lease customer AC Delco batteries, and Ryder at the same time hauled those little Coleman pop up campers with an MH single axle and a double deck trailer.There was a single lane restriction in one of the tunnels on the Pa turnpike Allegheny Mountain I think. A KW Cabover with a load of 55 gallon drums of some product drifted into the MH drivers lane and they hit head on at about 35mph! The KW driver died at the scene, but the MH driver while seriously injured to the point of having to retire from driving recovered! I actually had a conversation with him at Ryders Pittsburgh terminal. The Mack engineers were so impressed that they traveled from Allentown to view the wreckage of the MH! They towed away the wrecked MH before I ever got to see it, but obviously the composite aluminum/ fiberglass construction of the MH must have been very strong! A couple years later I drove a single axle MH with an aluminum drop deck, It was the best riding Cabover I ever drove and it even was spring ride!

• Like 2