"sittin" plates in PA.

I live in SW PA and I have an 85 Superliner(Magnum according to the markings). The township in which I reside has suddenly changed ordinances. Now,despite the fact that I own 9 1/2 acres(most of it wooded and not visible from the road) I need to get a license plate and inspection on this truck-pronto. Inspection would be no problem as I have replaced every brake,suspension and steering component on it over the past few years, and it hasn't gone anywhere to wear anything out. Plates on the otherhand mystify me...the only part I get about them is they are ex-pen-sive!!. The plates I had on it back when I worked the truck cost $1200+ if I'm not mistaken. I do realize I could plate it down to a point, but I don't think I could go lower than the tare of the truck without raising eyebrows :o. The next step on this truck was to be cosmetics(a little paint, a little putty, a little polish). I mention that because I hear horror stories about trying to get classic and antique plates if the truck isn't in pristine condition. Most of these stories are from guys who want to get this truck cheap,or the code enforcement guy---who has a friend that wants this truck cheap <_< . I see a bunch of fellow Pennsylvanians in here-so- I'm all ears. Help!!! I'm at wits end here! Thanks

If you don't have insurance, you may get away without a plate. I cancelled the insurance on my brother's car (when he passed away) and on my mother's car (when she went to the Home). I was told to send in the plates otherwise I would be subject to a fine - licensed vehicle with no insurance. I am finding PA has some dumb laws.

Seems "local government" makes their own rules.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I have my 1979 R model tag in PA with antique tags,I did have to paint it but was going to do that anyhow.You will have to have antique insurance on it that cost about $200.00 a year.If you don't drive it at all why would you think of tagging it,since you have 9 acres.

It is the abandoned vehicle code. Most municipalities in PA have one. All vehicles must be licensed, registered, insured and complete. If not the land owner can be fined $100 per day per vehicle. Each township enforces the law differently. Some only act on it if there is a complaint. Some roam the township looking for infractions. My township will tag anything that is visible from the road. I am moving to a township that only tags if there is a complaint. I had 11 vehicles tagged two years ago. We moved most of them out of view. We sold some. We are in the process of cutting up a B85F and a B42S. If you insure it antique and get an perminent antique license you should be ok, but maybe not if it has a flat tire or something else that makes it unpresentable. Good Luck, Mike

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/gallery/image/10005-nuisance-vehicles-sticker/

PA does not require pictures anymore for antique or classic vehicles. But you do have to have insurance on the vehicle to get the plates. I tried a few years ago for the plates but they rejected them because my B-model was lettered on the door. I got the plates now, cost $130.00, one time deal. If you are not going to haul anything, this is the way to go.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

in New York state you CANNOT put antique or historical plates on anything thats not 25 years old dont know how Pa is but every state seems to have idiots in offices that have to justify their jobs. i know my cousin has a pristine 88 R model single axle and he is keepin it in his garage cause it costs too much to just run for fun until its old enough to put historical plates on.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

in New York state you CANNOT put antique or historical plates on anything thats not 25 years old dont know how Pa is but every state seems to have idiots in offices that have to justify their jobs. i know my cousin has a pristine 88 R model single axle and he is keepin it in his garage cause it costs too much to just run for fun until its old enough to put historical plates on.

88...this is the year! OH is 25 years for Historical plate. I only have 4 more to go on my MH.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Macktrucks4,I think that you can haul a trailer behind your antique truck as long as it's not for profit.I was always told that i could haul my other antique trucks and caterpillar tractors to and from shows.

Yes, you are correct. You can pull any trailer as long as it is NOT for profit.

WOW!!! You guys are the best! I was away from the computer for a couple days and I come back to all this great info! It seems you folks have answered each others questions as well and have a good grip on the details of this attack I'm experiencing. @MACKTRUCKS4- If you don't mind, could you enlighten me on the finer points of getting the plates? according to my math, she's old enuff for either type of plate. Any tips or tricks I should know about?? I assume I can get insurance reasonable if I do the antique/classic plate thing? I don't mind having insurance on it-as long as it doesnt cost an arm and a leg. This whole ordinance change thing was dropped on me about a month ago...something about BOCA laws.They claim it doesn't matter if the truck is sittin in the middle of my land in the woods, behind a fence,invisible to all, it is still illegal. On the other hand, it could be parked next to the road, if it is under a carport(roof only) visible to all-go figure. The road I speak of is an easement road which cuts thru 7 properties,3 of which I have bought thru the years,with only 2 past me,and I do lots of free work for everyone out here,so it better not be a neighbor complaint. Sorry,Just trying to paint a picture of the total absurdity-which is only made better when they gave me 15 days to comply to the new code after living here 29 years. I would also think it to be least unethical if not illegal for the code enforcement guy to be tryin to broker a deal with me,because his buddy wants to buy the truck-cheap-small town(ship) politics-eh?? I have a heavy frame for a carport here,just need some tin for a roof I guess,but I would like to drive this beast sometimes too. Again,you guys are very helpful, I truly appreciate all your suggestions/comments. I hope that somehow I might be able to repay your helpfulness-George

I have full coverage on two antiques I have. First one is valued at $30,000, second is valued at $5,000.00 through JC Taylor. Last year was $318.00 for a year. Take proof of insurance and title to a notary with a check. Cost me $130.00 for the plate. You can probably get insurance cheaper for just one vehicle but full coverage is nice to have incase anything would happen while it's parked (fire, theft, etc.) Antique do not have to be inspected so better way to go. The restriction aren't much different for either one but classic's have to be inspected.

Does the notary have to send the stuff (proof of ins.,forms,title) in to PennDOT before anything happens,or can they issue the plate or temporary papers right then and there? Yes you are right,it would be good to have some ins.coverage-esp. at that price. Thanks again for the additional info

GEOD998-

Post the last 6 numbers of the VIN and I will check the database and see if it was built as a Magnum. I also sent you a PM.

Unless things have changed, J C Taylor will not write new policies for "big" trucks. Their website will offer a price quote and when you call they will tell you that they won't write the policy. They do continue to renew existing policies.

phildirt- I PMed those numbers to you-thanks @leversole-good to know.Do you have any temp. papers during that time

?-I suppose for my purposes (township BS) the stuff from the notary would work while the the plates are on the way. Well,it's off to the Magistrates for me-again :(

It never took that long for me to that long. I often have plates in a week or so using a courier survice. If you go to PennDot in Harrisburg with the title and proof of insurance they will give them to you on the spot. They will mail you the title with antique brand later. If you plan on working the truck later you do not want to put antique tags on it. I am told it is very difficult to convert it back unless it is sold. It used to automatically convert to regular. You can bet temporary tags, but they cost the same amount as normal tags for whatever weight you use. Mike

When you use the messenger service, you get your registration papers, which is legally saying your vehicle is registered, alsways hoped if I got stopped, the officer would "buy" that story...Maybe if you show that to the town or whomeever, tell them you are awating plates in the mail!

Good point Leslie. Hopefully they are not being that hard on you have to do something immediately. My township ordinance says the vehicles must be in a fully enclosed structure. Just a roof is not good enough. All of this is a property rights issue. I can see both sides. I don't like when the neighbor burns the casing off of wire. He doesn't like looking at my trucks. Mike