Those FWD COEs

kscarbel

I used to see a guy on U.S.13 in Delaware with an FWD C.O.E similar to the one pictured,i caught up with him one day down at Moneys truckstop on 301,and struck up a conversation about the truck,IIRC it had been bought new by the Harrington? or Greenwood?,DE fire dept.and was used to pull their tanker trailer,8V-71 Greenleaker,13 speed,etc. the man bought it when it was replaced by a newer truck, the one thing that stuck with me was the cab was ALL steel,this thing musta weighed a ton! may still even be around,i don't know. It was all dark green with some fancy gold pinstiping,and dual straight-pipes prolly the only FWD cabover i remember seeing in person.......................................Mark

post-5836-0-35025100-1366420638.jpg

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Was not a big fan of the ForWarDmover C.O.E. but the later one wasn't too bad of a looker.I still have the same brochure featuring the new C.O.E.'s & conventionals from around '73-'74 in my collection. The older conventionals used a Dodge cab,the newer ones used a cab of their own.Might have shared the cab with like a Pacific or Hayes maybe.Was aluminum/fiberglass composition.We had several FWD mixers at work.All gone now,but the drivers really liked them.When you locked 'er in all-wheel-drive,they said something big was gonna happen! Either you were going to get to that foundation or driveline failure/inability to steer was likely to occur!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I used to see a guy on U.S.13 in Delaware with an FWD C.O.E similar to the one pictured,i caught up with him one day down at Moneys truckstop on 301,and struck up a conversation about the truck,IIRC it had been bought new by the Harrington? or Greenwood?,DE fire dept.and was used to pull their tanker trailer,8V-71 Greenleaker,13 speed,etc. the man bought it when it was replaced by a newer truck, the one thing that stuck with me was the cab was ALL steel,this thing musta weighed a ton! may still even be around,i don't know. It was all dark green with some fancy gold pinstiping,and dual straight-pipes prolly the only FWD cabover i remember seeing in person.......................................Mark

There used to be one of that style parked in front of a house on Rt 14, west of Harrington. I haven't been that way since 2008, however.

Jim

Used to be a FWD cabover tractor with the forward slanting windshield in a trailer park behind the shopping center across from the Pine Cone on old WI 29 in Schofield, WI. Was visible from the road, wonder if it's still there?

See if you can spot it in a satellite view.

They had lots of trucks parked there, One of the employee's was a wheel of time member and owned several old vintage rigs from time to time. They also used to have a vintage GMC big block V6 truck there too.

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

FWD's earlier conventional cabs were produced by Checker Cab for both Dodge and FWD.

The ForWarD mover conventionals appear to have used a Freightliner cab.

The final FWD conventionals used an International cab.

And still yet, we see a Ford Louisville cab on this snow removal model.

Love the bottom picture.I work for the company that bought that outfit.Told my boss about the posting of that picture(his family started McHenry Ready mIx).He smiled!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

• 8 months later...