How old can an active fire truck be?

GearheadGrrrl

Well, after our old fire service provider doubled their annual fee from $247 to $500, we ended up switching to another nearby town that offered us a year's service for $250. I haven't seen their equipment, but one of the other council members is a firefighter and says their fleet is no worse than the previous providers. I hope we don't have to use their services, and if I get rich I'm gonna leave these volunteer fire departments some Macks!

Well, after our old fire service provider doubled their annual fee from $247 to $500, we ended up switching to another nearby town that offered us a year's service for $250. I haven't seen their equipment, but one of the other council members is a firefighter and says their fleet is no worse than the previous providers. I hope we don't have to use their services, and if I get rich I'm gonna leave these volunteer fire departments some Macks!

GearheadGrrrl:

$250 a year; is that per household? Are you served by a subscription fire department? I've read that some subscription departments will fight a fire in a non-member's property and then send a

bill while other departments will not fight a fire unless the subscription has already been paid. Having worked for a tax supported fire department this is a foreign concept for me but it might be good to

know in advance for those who may be served by a subscription fire department. Mack fire trucks automatically make the department better.

bulldogboy

$250/year for our town of 39 people. Both departments are public volunteer departments headquartered in larger towns about 6 miles away. Each provides fire service for their own town and several surrounding smaller towns and townships. They ask each of these surrounding towns and townships to make a small contribution.

GearheadGrrrl:

$250 a year; is that per household? Are you served by a subscription fire department? I've read that some subscription departments will fight a fire in a non-member's property and then send a

bill while other departments will not fight a fire unless the subscription has already been paid. Having worked for a tax supported fire department this is a foreign concept for me but it might be good to

know in advance for those who may be served by a subscription fire department. Mack fire trucks automatically make the department better.

bulldogboy

Yup- completely foreign concept to me as well. I have read many many stories about how someone does not pay the "subscription" and the calls the FD when the shit hits the fan, the FD shows up and says "Oh sorry you didn't pay, you're shit outta luck" and then watches as the person's entire universe goes up in flames- I for one could never live with myself if I were a part of something like that. Duty calls, I do what I have to do to get the job done in and efficient and orderly military manner.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I agree, but I see both sides. If the local government is too cheap to provide for a basic public safety issue like fire protection than what choice do the VFD's have? If no one pays than there is no service for anyone and if you don't stick to the "no pay, no play" rules what incentive is there to support the service until you need it. After all, you can't just conjure up a fire truck when you need it!

Can the folks that live on Long Island, NY refuse to pay their fire tax, even if it pays for unneeded apparatus and Taj Mahal fire houses? Why is a subscription fee any different?

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 2 years later...
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2013 at 8:49 PM, MADDOG93 said:

Like it was said , If you can't drive them then at least you can look at them when you open the doors. Here are two of my fire engines in the barn, 1958 Ward Lafrance and the 1957 Mack B-95 both X Port Chester New York and then another 15 years or so in Alexandria N H. They have been together now for 55 years. Bulldogboy look on Gregs list to see the 1957 FWD that was in service in Alexandria at the same time frame. It must have been in storage for at least 10 years.

Hybernating Mack & Ward 001.jpg

Was sitting here dreaming about the Mack B fire truck that I used to have (and mentally kicking myself - again - for selling it), and my thoughts drifted back a few years to when I worked at a camp in Hebron NH, and took a spin out to Alexandria one day to check out their B Model.  Talked to one of their officers who told me how much they liked it - especially its power climbing the hills in the  mountainous region.  So I googled it to see what I could find, and ended up at this thread.  Maddog - do you still have it?  If you do, and ever want to sell it, I'd love to become its next caretaker..... 

I've posted this on another thread; the photo is Alexandria, NH's former Mack "B-95F" pumper. The photo was taken around 1998 when Alexandria replaced this engine with a

1998 IHC/Valley pumper/tanker. The chief at the time said that they would liked to have kept the Mack but needed the FWD due to its all wheel drive capability. Alexandria

is the second largest community in land area in New Hampshire and is very rural and hilly. Alexandria Volunteer Fire Department photo.

bulldogboy

Scan0004.jpg

• Like 2

Mack8B42 and Bulldogboy the B-95 is still in good hands and now that I am retired I have the time to get her out and about again but only limited to local shows in upstate New York as gas is still a killer at 3 miles per gal . May put a diesel in her to get her out more but will see , really don't want to do that but what good is it if I can't get her out .

post-2754-1168385870.jpg

• Like 2

Fire trucks don't put out fires!!! When looking at your fire protection don't pay attention to the trucks...pay attention to whats riding in them.  Just my $.02

It takes five things to deliver effective fire suppression: A properly trained crew; adequate staffing on each apparatus to do the job; the right apparatus for the job; you must arrive in time to do the job; and you must have enough total apparatus and staffing to do the job. Take away any of the five and the likelihood of a successful outcome is just a crap shoot.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I am working on a new project trying to determine market size and market segmentation for the different fire fighting vehicles in the US and Canada. This project consists of different types of trucks and number of axles that are on the trucks. The make of the truck would be helpful as well. This report will not take into account any vehicles that do not have axles. Does anyone know of any resources where I might be able to obtain this kind of information?

Paul

Edited by Azingo

11 hours ago, Azingo said:

I am working on a new project trying to determine market size and market segmentation for the different fire fighting vehicles in the US and Canada. This project consists of different types of trucks and number of axles that are on the trucks. The make of the truck would be helpful as well. This report will not take into account any vehicles that do not have axles. Does anyone know of any resources where I might be able to obtain this kind of information?

Paul

Say that in english, please. 

The number of axles are determined by individual State axle weight regulations, not by market demand. Some states exempt fire apparatus from axle weight laws, some do not. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS