Vintage pics

41chevy

Hey Mark, Where had the New Jersey been? I thought all WW2 battleships were decommisioned long ago and sent to scrap or in museum parks.

mike

Mike,the New Jersey had been in mothballs in Bremerton,WA for many years after being decommissioned,but the decision was made to bring her home where she belonged.The ship is now a museum,open to the public,and quite impressive! my brother and I took the tour a few years ago,really have to see it in person to get an idea of the size of this thing! it is huge! hard to get a good picture of it,because you can't get far enough away to fit it all in.....................heres an article that tells the history of the ship,which is the most highly decorated Battleship in U.S.Naval history,something to be proud of being a native New Jersean!.....................................Mark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_New_Jersey_(BB-62)

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I'm digging the GTO! I sure like seeing the "when new" pictures,my alltime favorite musclecar 65,66,67 GTO.............................................Mark

Not so much the '65, but the 66 and 67 GTO's were some of my all time favorite cars, a fine looking automobile indeed.

post-1374-0-26442400-1368289473_thumb.jp

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I've been on board the USS Alabama several times. Last time I saw her in 2003 they had built a coffee dam around her. I'm assuming they are painting the bottom and possibly putting it on dry land. Yes Mark it does make a person proud of their country when you see what giant machines were made by our country men and women. It amazes me how many were aboard these vessels. It was a city on water. I found most amazing the was the powder room and men wearing white anti-static suites, boots, hoods and gloves. The powder rounds for the 16 inch guns looked like the size of 2 fifty gallon drums. That should lob a shell about 20 miles.

mike

• Like 1

Excellent pics from the past, thanks for sharing. I've heard of the USS Recruit before now.

Van Sise Farms looks exactly how I remember it. The last time I went past there was probably in the 80's. I found what I think was it on Google Earth from 1994 but later photos show it was replaced by a small strip mall.

Jim

Excellent pics from the past, thanks for sharing. I've heard of the USS Recruit before now.

Van Sise Farms looks exactly how I remember it. The last time I went past there was probably in the 80's. I found what I think was it on Google Earth from 1994 but later photos show it was replaced by a small strip mall.

Now they are a small up scale "purveyor of blue ribbon vegetables"...yuppies.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

cat1_zps260c1bab.jpg
poilujkhm_zpsf38148fd.jpg
armstronginternational_zps28fa19bb.jpg
bmodelfiretruck_zps7a84ca85.jpeg
bmackside_zpsf642cddb.jpeg
honda_50_us_zps60063991.jpg
hygfdsa_zps3a649c08.jpeg
IHcrawlwers_zps2b4c2393.jpeg
IH1_zps67685ba7.jpg
1957-walesmass_zps1ecb539c.jpg
TrkAtShovel_zps2282ec1d.jpg
TrkWiMan_zps19af0fc5.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

INDOOR 1/8 MILE DRAG RACING CHICAGO MAR 1963

indoordrags21964_zpsafe71c02.jpg
indoordrags11964_zps20071523.jpg
HOME OF JUNGLE JIM LIBERMAN AND JUNGLE PAM
goodiesjungle_zps4040bc5b.jpg
SMOKY YUNICK DRAG CAR WHEN NASCAR SPONCERED DRAG RAcing
CarLaunching5_zpsd39e30cd.jpg
bodiddley_zps624faf85.jpg
Eisenhowe-Nixon-1952CampaignFlier_zpsb1c
Naples1951_zps5e471a7c.jpg
1953naples_zps87307cb1.jpg
fotomat1_zps082a48d7.jpg
stanfrank1_zpsb79c2bf0.jpg
seafordli_zpse794bd0c.jpg
June7-1954_zpsbbd85b9d.jpg
Indianmotorcycle_zps87221de3.jpg
roadog_originalpic-Copy2_zps388f2b10.jpg

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Mike,the New Jersey had been in mothballs in Bremerton,WA for many years after being decommissioned,but the decision was made to bring her home where she belonged.The ship is now a museum,open to the public,and quite impressive! my brother and I took the tour a few years ago,really have to see it in person to get an idea of the size of this thing! it is huge! hard to get a good picture of it,because you can't get far enough away to fit it all in.....................heres an article that tells the history of the ship,which is the most highly decorated Battleship in U.S.Naval history,something to be proud of being a native New Jersean!.....................................Mark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_New_Jersey_(BB-62)

Here is a photo I took in 2000 when she was in Philadelphia for restoration work before she went to Camden. This is taken from one of the 3 inch sponson guns on the USS Olympia

olyversesussnj.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE

I think this one is my favorite,it was in the local papers on the 4th of July a few years ago,courtesy Todays Sunbeam Newspaper,Salem County,NJ.............................Mark

post-5836-0-60079600-1368841766_thumb.jp

I remember when pretty much all the little shopping centers- that's what we called them, before they invented the malls- had a photo booth in them, and an ice machine, where you could buy a big block of ice that you took home and made smaller pieces of ice out of with a tool called an ice pick. Then you made home made ice cream in a hand cranked ice cream maker.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the the traffic control (or lack of)

I know the traffic control is great, can you hear the foreman. "Just pull up and dump off the edge", ok shift 10 times and nose across the highway and dump. Must have been fun back then.

Back then people did not drive like idiots and had some common sense (at least most of them did).

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Back then people did not drive like idiots and had some common sense (at least most of them did).

Newest vehicle in the photo is a 1964 Ford so here's my slant

No Third World drivers.

Courtesy, Respect and Patience still valued as an asset to living in society.

More Blue Collar than White collar....The trades were still a respected path to take.

Real consequences for breaking the law and Police and Firemen were looked up to .

No Cel phones, I pads and GPS or other aides.

Paul

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

Newest vehicle in the photo is a 1964 Ford so here's my slant

No Third World drivers.

Courtesy, Respect and Patience still valued as an asset to living in society.

More Blue Collar than White collar....The trades were still a respected path to take.

Real consequences for breaking the law and Police and Firemen were looked up to .

No Cel phones, I pads and GPS or other aides.

Paul

I sure miss those days!................................Mark