Registry: MACK DM800

paul roncetti

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifpost-1527-0-95579700-1364043594_thumb.jpgIs it possible this is an ex Rizzo truck?

Paul those 2 Rizzo trucks were 1972s 1 went to Horan way back in the late 80s and was the very first truck I was assigned and the other one went to New York Dirt. Rizzo also had 2 1983 Dm 800s that went to Horan around the same time

• Like 1

Local 282 Union Service

Blackdog you are 100% correct , Paul the 2 1983 Dms did not have the high bodies that the 1972's did. The 83's had longer lower bodies maybe Bristols. I can find out where they went after Horan sold them. That yard was all Mack at one time trailers and 10 wheelers. Now I think there might be 6 Superliner 10 wheelers and 1 granite and all the trailers are KW and Petes. Not sure where your DM came from but the paint colors look like Russo wrecking from over by Kennedy Airport . Pretty sure they had DMs . I think the short wheel base with the high dump body made Rizzos trucks look so big. He had a huge picture in his office with a row of DM-800s as far as you can see. In the later years the trucks that ran out of his Franklin Sq yard were all Horan R model tractors that were stretched into 10 wheelers, Good luck with your fleet of workhorses

• Like 2

Local 282 Union Service

I don't think it's one Paul. Gotta be two on a setup like that. Maybe the other piston has oil on it and is darker in the pic. I wish the pic was bigger. If it was one it would be pretty huge and the pic would show it as far as scale wise.

Cheers, Rob

• Like 1

In response to many of the AJ rizzo inquiries i will try and clarify as much as I can. I worked for AJR for many years and pretty much knew all the DM 600s and 800s that passed through the gates in Franklin Square.

The ones in the photos are 1972/73/74 versions with Cresci heavy excavation bodies. The the ones with the side boards where just over 16 yards (waterline) capacity and the newer ones without side boards where just under 18 yards capacity. All of these had inside the rails/center mounted dual lift pistons connected to the roller cam scissor arrangement which was a marvel in mechanical advantage and compactness.

The later trucks that Milkman refers to had either Gallion or Steco bodies and were 22 yard capacity with dual telescoping side mounted pistons. These where deceiving to look at because while lower than the Cresci bodies (top of the side board was about eye level with the top of the cab) they where longer and much wider (9'-0"). I am not sure where they went after Horan but I did see an identical truck for sale on a Latin American web site a few years ago. Many of the AJR DM 600s went to Castillo in Staten Island and owner operators on LI. I think the DM 800s went to NY DIRT (among their first trucks) and Horan. They were pretty much standard issue in the early/mid 1970s for the contract/hire trucking companies. The Cresci bodies were indestructable and offered the best flexibility to meet the neeeds of a truck that one day could be on hire in Manhattan loaded with blasted rock, the next day at a Whilestone asphalt plant, the following day working on LI carrying broken concrete slabs and the day after making three round trips running materials into Manhattan from Long Island. 65K# rears, 5 speeds on main with 675 Maxidynes and lots of range when it came to good old pull up through 60 mph.....these were great fleet trucks. I haven't been in the seat since 1985 but when I look around I don't see much on the street that compares.

• Like 2