Registry: MACK DM800

paul roncetti

To build a heavy body like what is on the old Rizzo truck would be big bucks. Would look awesome and I would do it if I had the means. The last heavy body when I drove for L.Demarino was on his newest RD in 99 and that was a Bristol Donald 14.5 ft with all 1/4 inch T1 with an 8 panel 3/8's gate no heat full cab shield. It was over $20,000.00 then. Of course I don't know what you are going to do with it you could get away with mild steel if it's for show. Lembo is in Newark NJ, So is Bristol Donald. Also you have Steelfab in Paterson NJ. I'm sure somebody in New England can build something similar.

Cheers, Rob

• Like 1

Hi j, Yes you're right. Even building it with a friend, between his shop and mine, labor and material would be in the 10 to 15 grand range just for the body mounted on the present subframe and lift.

See I told you. That's about right if you were to go to Lembo or somebody it would be at least 20 grand. The cab shield on the B81 you could reconfigure it and bring it down some and still have the look of the Bristol Donald. Some of those pics you guys were posting of those older DM's had huge cab shields on them. I love the one pic of the Rizzo truck and you can see the bogies and even with the big rubber the bogies have spread on them. Breen from Hackensack down here had a bunch of DM's from Kentucky that had 58 rears, big rubber and spread on the bogies. It was cool.

Cheers,, Rob

Hi RFCD, I knew you were right, even though I have capability to bend 1/2" steel plate 14 feet long, the labor can kill the whole deal. As far as the LI B81 with the DM body on it, I bought it for the very reason of the cab protector, didn't care if the rest of the truck was junk, LOL. Everyone tells me same thing about that cab shield and tell me I could have had one made cheaper than buying the whole truck and could sit in a chair and looked at it. My standard answer is that it never occured to me to do that, LOL

RONCETTI

The picture of it on the trailer was taken when I first got it. I changed the sheet metal and had some motor work done before the other picture was taken. I thought about keeping it as a dump truck but, even though the body was pretty straight, it was going to cost over 3k just to clean it up and 5k if I wanted a new tailgate and pan (which I did) so I decided to make it a tractor. 375hp V8, 12 speed, triple frame, 23k front, 80k rears on new 12R24 when finished.

That sounds awesome!

• Like 2

Matt

Hi Paul!

I noted different avatar of yours and was interested in.

Read this tread with pleasure.

Haven't heard you have dump business so suppose you need a bunch of work to paint and polish those giants for a show.

All the trucks above look great with the bodies they are with.

So don't see hard matter to change them.

Although idea about roof mounted AC seems interesting and easy on my mind.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Hi Vlad, Red DM800 is my latest buy. I bought the 1964 B81 with the big body and cab protector just for that very look even though I have to withstand a lot of comments about it. Last time I ran trucks for hire was in 1971. Since then I have been running my tool & die business as I am a tool designer by trade but have this truck sickness, LOL..........Paul

RONCETTI