NYS Overweight permits?

MACKS

Bad news from the dot,I sent them an e-mail asking if this new law would effect my 1996 three axle dump with a grandfathered type two permit,They wrote back YES starting January 1st 2015 every truck regardless of year MUST have four axles and if you add an axle it must be steerable..Now I'm really confused,sent them another e-mail to make sure!!

They don't even know there own laws I'm going by what is written in paper not by what they say on the phone I tried that to they lady said she didn't know and to look it up on line that's when I found exactly what chevy posted that is the written bi laws I'm going by

They don't even know there own laws I'm going by what is written in paper not by what they say on the phone I tried that to they lady said she didn't know and to look it up on line that's when I found exactly what chevy posted that is the written bi laws I'm going by

I sent the e-mail before chevy posted that,think you guys are right,just want to hear it from them..

I received another e-mail today from William J Morris,NYSDOT os/ow permit office,DL unit supervisor,he repeated what the other e-mail said,that is it makes no difference what year your truck is there will be no type two permits for three axle trucks period.He also said he would like to talk to anyone I know that thinks otherwise,here is his number 518 457 0350,I'm not liking this at all...

It's great how they write one thing and mean another thing if you talk to someone. Everyone over there has a different story and different laws they make up as they go its crazy I don't believe that they could cut us down to less then the 66,000 that permit is a regular type 1 and I got it back in 04

He replied to my question and said if I decide not to add a fourth axle I could bank the type two permit weight and apply for a state wide type one permit,as an example a truck with 17 foot wheel base would have a max gross of 63750..I don't think my wheel base is much more than that so I'm screwed!!The formula for the type one permit is 1,250 x wheel base + 42,500

In the mid 80's running salt,,,,you guys used allot of trailing axles (Strong arms) for R permits on the triaxles.

Does NY still recognize them and could you put them on your tandem to get the length you need??

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

In the mid 80's running salt,,,,you guys used allot of trailing axles (Strong arms) for R permits on the triaxles.

Does NY still recognize them and could you put them on your tandem to get the length you need??

I see a few trucks with them mostly ready mix trucks,I would rather add a drop axle then have one of those hanging on the back of my truck..

• 2 months later...

Well you guys are just catching up to the rest of the country now, in TN a tandem is good for 66,000 on state roads and federal bridge law chart for fed. Roads (interstates) Tri axles are good to 74,000 and quads 80,000 secondary. The fed bridge on the interstate for my 04 Granite was only 56,500 ( everybody runs secondary road weights till they get caught).

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Does anyone know if this is going into effect in NJ too? I'm looking to purchase a Mack RD tandem to haul 70k but I may reconsider and buy a tri axle if I won't be able to!

It's not in effect yet but it's coming at some point. I know it changed for the lowboys in Jersey with their permits and such.

Cheers, Rob

• 8 years later...