Timing Marks

jaked92

Hello

I am trying to find timing marks on my 402 Mack gas engine,, the one on the crank pulley is obvious however the one on block or whatever eludes me,,,Is it the 3 dots on the bottom of crossmember,,or the 3 scratches on top of the crossmember?? I can find absolutely no information on this engine,,points gap,,plug gap etc...any help would be greatly appreciated..I do know the timing is 3btc

thanx

Hello

I am trying to find timing marks on my 402 Mack gas engine,, the one on the crank pulley is obvious however the one on block or whatever eludes me,,,Is it the 3 dots on the bottom of crossmember,,or the 3 scratches on top of the crossmember?? I can find absolutely no information on this engine,,points gap,,plug gap etc...any help would be greatly appreciated..I do know the timing is 3btc

thanx

Try through the hole in the bottom of the flywheel housing. There is a pointer and the marks are on the flywheel.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Mack 402

Breaker Gap .022

Spark Plug Gap 0.25

Timing 3 BTC on Flywheel

Dwell 31-37 Degrees

Valve Clearances Intake .010 Ex .020 Cold

.010 .018 Hot

Firemack

350 rpm idle speed, (hot).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Try through the hole in the bottom of the flywheel housing. There is a pointer and the marks are on the flywheel.

Rob

Rob,,there is no hole in bottom of my flywheel cover other than a very small 3/8 for greasing throwout bearing I suspect...If the timing marks are back there does this mean #1 firing piston is at the firewall? Currently the truck won't start,,although I did have it running a few months ago.

Rob,,there is no hole in bottom of my flywheel cover other than a very small 3/8 for greasing throwout bearing I suspect...If the timing marks are back there does this mean #1 firing piston is at the firewall? Currently the truck won't start,,although I did have it running a few months ago.

I will post a picture when I'm back at the shop. There are a couple of other places that the timing marks could be but the bottom was the most common place.

Rob

I will post a picture when I'm back at the shop. There are a couple of other places that the timing marks could be but the bottom was the most common place.

Rob

Try looking at the front of the flywheel housing on the driver's side of the truck. It should be a hole with a pointer under a cover unless it is missing.

Rob

Check the bottom of the bellhousing, mine has a small plate with 4 bolts that cover the timing mark pointer. once you remove the cover plate you will see the timing mark pointer, then rotate the flywheel until you see the marks next to the pointer. I check my timing with the truck running (brake on, wheels chocked, before I get under it.)

Firemack