GMC General at abandoned house

JTFormula

Good for you!! you got a good truck.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Looking forward to seeing (and hearing) some video of this new rig! Love the sound of a two stroke detroit.. Just something you don't hear going down the road these days. Nice save and sounds like a good deal as well..

Always nice when doing the legwork like you did to find the owner actually pays off!

Jason

Nice find,good luck,I new a guy years back had a General ten wheel dump with Mack 58 rears,not sure what engine but it was the fasted truck around,havent seen it in years but I know it's still around and running,you Long Island guys must have seen it years back,anyway have fun..

Nice find,good luck,I new a guy years back had a General ten wheel dump with Mack 58 rears,not sure what engine but it was the fasted truck around,havent seen it in years but I know it's still around and running,you Long Island guys must have seen it years back,anyway have fun..

That's cool with Mack rears.

I called around to the local dealers. None of them were running deals on batteries. The local parts store is giving me a good discount on 4. Retail for a group 31 was $135 a piece, my price $98. I am picking them up tomorrow.

Well, I had a productive day. Got 4 new batteries from NAPA and a new ignition switch and installed them. Then set up my Canon and the GoPro in two different spots to capture the first fire up (or failure). SOB fired off immediately! Ran for about a minute then stalled. Oil pressure went to 20psi then when it was starting to drop RPMs before it stalled, it went to 10psi. Its got some leaking at the oil filter when it first fired off and something leaking from the drivers side of the engine. I think there is a fuel issue. After I let it sit for a couple minutes, it will run again for 30 seconds then stall again. I am going to get new filters tomorrow and install them. How long does it take for the air pressure to get to around 120? The gauge didn't seem to move much if any but I did hear air when I hit the parking brake release. Also there is a lever on the steering column that has air lines running to it with a warning label that states "Not for parking" - What the heck is that for? Brakes are locked up (not enough pressure yet) so I couldn't get it to roll. I tried to slide it into gear with it running and it was grinding. If I put it into gear, then press the clutch and fire it up then start to let the clutch out it does grab and want to go. What would prevent me from putting it into gear when its running first even with the clutch depressed?

Here is the video as promised - Warning, explicit language (I am dropping F-Bombs like crazy):

http://youtu.be/-2eNwZ7e4hE

post-11944-0-44697400-1367184270_thumb.j

post-11944-0-82622000-1367184271_thumb.j

post-11944-0-88418800-1367184272_thumb.j

• Like 1

Awesome video. That engine sounds great. Driptroits have a distinctive sound.

The lever on the steering wheel is the "trolley" brake....manual trailer brake. As for air pressure, it takes a few minutes especially at idle. Once you get it running without stalling, run it up to 1200-1500 rpm and the air pressure should start to build. Once you get some air pressure, I would open the drain valves on the air tanks to blow out any accumulated water/moisture.

Change the fuel filters (fill the new ones with fresh fuel). You might want to back flush the fuel supply line to make sure it is not plugged.

Others on here will likely have better explanations and suggestions than me.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

It could be a broken spring on the clutch, but the clutch brake's probably worn out, you should be able to get it in gear easily when you push the pedal all the way to the floor. What it does is stop the gears from turning in the transmission, and when a driver pushes the pedal all the way in when the truck is moving it tries to stop the whole truck, and it wears the clutch brake out in no time. I see lots of drivers in fairly new trucks sit and grind then finally just jam it in gear when they start off because they've worn the clutch brake out.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The lever on the right of the steering column is indeed called a "trolley valve" it is mostly used to check trailer brakes when first hooking up to a trailer,and as has been noted can be used to hold you on a hill. BUT just as it says,it is NOT for parking,it does not have a positive lock/engaged position,so it will bleed off air,and the truck will roll away! And as also stated,best to change all the fuel filters,fill with fresh fuel,especially as long as its been sitting,the old fuel has a tendency to "varnish-up" and loses some of its lubricity properties.Also,especially on a cold start,once running,just let it idle for a while before giving it any throttle,wait till you get up to operating temp.good oil pressure,air pressure etc.as far as not building air quickly,could be any number of factors,cracked lines,loose/worn fittings,oil/water in the air system,etc. do you know if the truck is equipped with an air-dryer? if so,it to should be serviced. No mistaking the sound of a greenleaker (or silver in your case) ! good luck with it,hope to see it at Macungie! hope i was of some help!.....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

CLutch just may be stuck or rusted from sitting. If you can get it in gear with the engine off bump the starter or if you got room start it with the clutch depressed in gear let it roll and bump the throttle. If it is just stuck it will release

When it first started with 1/4 turn of the flywheel I said to myself "you gotta be fuc#!n* kidding me", and then there was this echo coming from the video. :)

Sounds good. Do you know what hp rating is for the engine or did I miss that somewhere?

Jim

Congrats on the new family member... may there be more...

on a personal and very friendly note... if you are going to indulge in class 8 air braked trucks can I advise you take an air brake course, part of a CDL, as this will give you information on how an air system works, how to do a pre-trip, how to check low pressure buzzer and governor cut-in etc.. worth the small expense and helpful to the rest of the motorists you mingle with.

DD 2 strokes usually lose their prime after a long storage period, starting on less than one turn is normal as that is 4 firing strokes on a 8V92... change filters one at a time and fill first, best aid is a fuel pressure gauge added to the secondary filter, that will show you how well things are going, oil pressure will always be high on start-up and will slowly drop as it warms... I've seen 92's idle hot at 5 psi with no issues...

I work on green and silver leakers, 92 and 71, pretty bulletproof, 92's have coolant in oil issues so watch oil until you get used to the engine, generally consumption should be under 1 gal per 1000 miles, if dipstick never drops or even goes up you may have fuel dilution. First oil change should be after long shutdown, crack the drain and see if coolant drips out... and only use CF2 40wt, do not use CF4 or 15W40.... Detroit reversed their opinion on 15W40 years ago but some shops still use it.

If maxi's were 'on' you may have shoes stuck to drums... billybobjoe would dump it in gear and giverrr, just wind back the slacks and tap/lever the shoe or a 5lb hammer to drum edge, it should "ring" if shoe is released.

and as said before, jam your fingers in the door and drive it angry..!!!!!

BC Mack

• Like 1

My buddy's son is a diesel tech. He's going to come by on Tuesday to go over the truck so it will run right and check everything over. More videos to come.

I am still astounded it fired up instantly.

Where on the DD does it tell the HP rating?