GMC General at abandoned house

JTFormula

I contacted Paul White, a local mobile diesel tech who also has a restored B Model. He is going to come out on Monday and go over the truck with me. I would rather have a pro check it out so I know its fixed right. So it will cost be a few hundred bucks but its better money spent then to have it towed and then still might need him to come out. Money well spent in my opinion instead of risking driving it and something go wrong, especially with the brakes.

• Like 1

Good way to go JT.

I understood that's not Superliner when started to read this post.

On my mind you are doing good dealing with this GMC. She's solid truck with good chances to get on the road without hard investments.

So you take a big piece of automotive iron for the money you was glad to spend for. It's not a B although this is your first big truck and she would be able to give you full-colored emotions of trucking and lots of new practice you'll need in the future. I'm a newbie also and shure know you're on the right way.

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Vlad - Thanks for the kind words. I am not going as far as you are with your restoration project but I think its a good truck and it needs to be saved. The funny thing is the more I am talking with locals about it, everyone knows about the truck. Its like a silent celebrity. The one dude even said "Wow, thats so cool you got that truck. I have always looked at it and hope it wasn't going to be scrapped" - No sir, its not.

• Like 1

JTF

two possible causes of your problem have been outlined already...

even with crap fuel it would still run...

algea blocking the primary is very likely..

if you have an air operated shut-down it can operate as you start to build air... pre-charge air system first.

losing prime, find a garden sprayer approx two-three gal, remove the wand and add a fitting.. connect to the secondary filter with a shut off if possible. Pump up sprayer and then fire up.. the gear driven pump needs some time to pull fuel from the primary which is probably blocked....

if it runs ok on the sprayer check back to the pump and primary...

you should pull the valve covers and disconnect the rack on both sides, a stuck injector would ruin your day but you most likely you have the newer shafts with individual relief springs, but it will still cause your heart to jump.

the DD fuel system is different to most other trucks as you will find out.. most of the guys with DD 2 stroke engines in bus conversion RV's set up a small tank of fuel and a 12v pump near the engine as long standing will allow the fuel to flow back to the tank and the pump has insufficient pull.... losing prime.

BC Mack

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I have the guy coming on Monday so ill see what he is doing. I am completely new to large diesel trucks so I felt the best thing I can do is get someone who knows what they are doing. I'll play with it on Sunday by checking shut off valves and maybe dropping the fuel line into a can of fuel to see if that makes a difference but anything beyond that, I will be at a disadvantage.

I just realized last night I have owned this thing for a week now and haven't brought the wife to see it. We're going to pop over tonight.

Oh and all those comments on how DD were oil leakers I thought were exaggerated until I owned this thing. With only running for the short time it can, there is already a 5" circle of oil under it in two locations.

Oh and all those comments on how DD were oil leakers I thought were exaggerated until I owned this thing. With only running for the short time it can, there is already a 5" circle of oil under it in two locations.

I dont joke about ecological disasters. Everyone thinks that the oil in the Gulf of Mexico a few years ago was from a busted well head- They're wrong, GM (owned by the Gubmint) didnt want everyone to know that the oil was from all the green leakers powering the equipment on the drilling platform.

You know the difference between a green banana and a green leaker? They're not worth a shit until they turn (Cat) Yellow!!!

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

And the silver series was "supposed" to have the oil leak issues resolved. Guess not.

JT - As for the wife...you know the saying about a new house....you going to "break-in" the General? :whistling:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

A freind of mine said you only need to worry about a DD when they aint leaking, so you are off to a good start!

Back in 1988 or 89, I popped the hood on my truck and was checking it out and I asked a guy I was running with if he was going to check his oil, he looked under the front and seen some oil drips and said yep she got oil in her she is all set. It was a very leaky cummings engine.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

And the silver series was "supposed" to have the oil leak issues resolved. Guess not.

JT - As for the wife...you know the saying about a new house....you going to "break-in" the General? :whistling:

No sleeper but we'll make due.

Certain things a man doesn't share. But when I got over there last night this girl wanted a ride. I told her it wasn't road ready and sent her on her way.

spicylingeriestore_2248_12705736377.jpg

good for you, that's what i'd have done too.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

So I went by tonight to show the truck to wife up close and to a friend who wanted to see it. I tried to fire it up and it just cranked for a couple seconds. I waited the tried it again and it fired then stalled. I figured the fuel filters were empty from the last run the other day so I didn't want to push it. But I said let's try one more time. It fired up and then ran, and ran, and ran. It idled for at least 8 minutes. I revved it up a little to 1200 rpm then backed off. As soon as I did that it stalled. I fired it back up and it idled fine. At least i have progress.

I can hear an air leak at the foot valve so it didn't air up so the brakes are still full on. I tried to push the parking brake in but it kept popping out. I can hear air releasing when I do this though.

I was able to slide into gear this time. I made sure the clutch was ll the way down. Last time I guess I had another 1/2 inch to go. It doesn't want to move forward yet but I am close.

Tomorrow the mechanic is coming so I should have answers then.

JT,

You are making progress. The air brakes will not release until you build up minimum pressure until then it will keep "popping out". Don't quote me but I think it is 60-70 psi. A major air leak will definitely keep you from building pressure. Someone on here mentioned the air compressor governor, that could be stuck (governor regulates 90-120psi).

Did you have oil pressure?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I do have 20 psi of oil perssure at idle then it goes to 40+ when I throttle it. I know there is at least one air leak at the foot valve. I maybe able to cut the line back and install a new fitting. I'll post more after I am done with the mechanic.

Cool!!! Burning off a little of that 8 year old fuel there maybe eh? Hahah. Cool. My iPhone takes good videos. The videos of the RD I took with my iPhone 4. I'm going to ask for a Go Pro for Christmas, yeah that's a long ways away but I can wait. I want a Hero 3. With a suction cup mount. Then I can put it on my U model, and in my helmet when I romp around on the three wheeler and go snowmobiling.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Looks (and smokes) good, JT. Hope you don't follow that closely when you're driving her! ;o)

BTW, my theory - nothing ever, ever breaks on that first drive home. I always tell people leave their new old thing tied to a tether running around in circles in the back yard. Don't shut it off, that's when the problems start.

• Like 1