GMC General at abandoned house

JTFormula

Should be a sticker somewhere on engine that says what HP it is. Could be like 430 or 475? Should run like a raped ape bobtail'n.

If it won't build air at all, then I'd look at the governor. Simple fix if it's rusted up. Just replaced mine, like $12.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Got my plan for tomorrow. We are going to drain the main tank ( passenger tank is just about empty already ) of the old fuel ( only about 15 gallons if that in there ) then back flush the lines install the new filters and put in new fuel. I have a feeling that may solve most of my issues. It won't hurt.

Ahhhhh, another Detroit disciple is born!!! FWD eat your heart out! Lighting up your first diesel of any kind is really cool, kind of breaking into uncharted territory. Ben's video with his 8V71 first start is evidence of that(although he thinks that he's an old salt at it!). Fuel and air is all a Detroit needs, did you check the air cleaner for nests prior to starting? I'd hate to see the inlet side of the turbo clogged with schmutz.

Good luck and see you at Macungie, Tim

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

My buddy's son is a diesel tech. He's going to come by on Tuesday to go over the truck so it will run right and check everything over. More videos to come.

I am still astounded it fired up instantly.

Where on the DD does it tell the HP rating?

Should be on one of the sides or edges of the Valve covers. usually on or around the serial plate (the blue plate). If its a reliabuilt reman engine there will be a serial plate on the block near the head passenger side usually. Great find, Best of luck. Silver V892's were usually 435hp and 475hp that I can remember. Congrats!

Ahhhhh, another Detroit disciple is born!!! FWD eat your heart out! Lighting up your first diesel of any kind is really cool, kind of breaking into uncharted territory. Ben's video with his 8V71 first start is evidence of that(although he thinks that he's an old salt at it!). Fuel and air is all a Detroit needs, did you check the air cleaner for nests prior to starting? I'd hate to see the inlet side of the turbo clogged with schmutz.

Good luck and see you at Macungie, Tim

I did check the air cleaner housing. I also left the hood of the housing off it when I fired it up in case I had to cut off air if it started to run away from me.

As for HP I believe the paving co told me it was 475 but ill check around tomorrow for a tag.

I haven't been around in a while. Just read this thread from beginning to end. Great read! Congrats!

City boy!

Nope, just hate Ticks. Blood suckers!

Ok tonight my buddy's son came by to give me a hand. We drained out 30 gallons of nasty amber colored diesel mixed with water. I got 10 gallons of fresh fuel, new filters, filled the filters with new fuel and installed them. Also put in two gallons of oil as it was barely on the stick. She fired right up as usual but died out again. He said its losing prime. We took the filters off and they were empty. It seems to be running on the fuel in the filters until its dry. Any ideas? Unfortunately he hasn't worked on any Detroit's so he was at a disadvantage.

Good news is the brakes started to make noise so that's a good sign but the valve under the pedal is sticking. I hope a liberal dose of PB Blaster helps loosen it up.

I am thinking I might just have it towed back to my shop. This way it's out of there and at my shop so we will have power and air to use. Plus I can take my time to make sure everything is right and safe.

The fuel line may be collapsed from age or plugged up with debris. Undo the line at both ends and put a little compressed air to it. 10-15 psi will let you know if there is blockage.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Yup I'm guessing a collapsed or plugged line- check the crossover line if you have tanks on both sides, too. Also, just for shits and giggles, check for a closed valve somewhere between the tanks and the fuel pump- I know many guys that used to put in valves (easily reached) that they could turn off if the parked for the weekend; that way if someone decided to steal the truck, she aint going very far. It's a long shot but I have been stumped by sillier stuff.

Yer gonna pay a few bucks to get her towed......I would try one more time or two to get your fuel problems solved, then check for roadworthyness, and if the tires, brakes and lights are all ok, drive her back to your place- IIRC it's not very far, correct????

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Take the line off the pump and stick in a gallon can of fuel and see if it continues to run off that. Then you will know if you have issues back to the tanks. Better to narrow things down so you can start in the right direction.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

There are many ways to go on a fuel supply.

For example you can put a can upper then the pump and let the fuel go by the gravity.

I used another method on the one of my R's to start as a temporary but the second one is equipped that way by the previous owner as the constant solution.

The matter of - putting a car fuel injection electric pump into truck's supply line. After a tank and before a high pressure pump. Light it up from a battery and you'll hear the sound of fuel going to a hp pump and backing to a back line. I drive my "drivable" R this way with no actual mecanical pre-pump. And with no issues.

Congrats on your first one!

I noted your new avatar, had been surprized why you used Superliner pic while looking for a B.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

It's not a Superliner in my avatar but the GMC General. They look similar. My old one was a B model wrecker I had seen in the junkyard a few years back. I still want to buy a single axle B but this is going get my feet wet. Ill probably play with it for a while then sell it for a good b61 down the road. Or add to the collection.

One of the nicest Generals i've seen was at the ATHS show in Colfax,NC last year,very nice truck!...............................................Mark

There's a video of that one on YouTube

This one was at Gerharts last year. I was really diggin it too. How odd that I wind up with one.

IMG_0595sm.jpg

• Like 1

Does it have a cable shut off or an air shut off. I had a problem with a 6V92 doing the same thing, would start right up, but once it started building air it would pull in the shut off and kill the engine. Once the air bled off it would start right up and run again till it built up about 50 lbs of air. If it does have the air shut off, remove from the shut off arm then try it, or just watch it as it builds air.

Edited by MrCat

Mike Pacitto

Chelmsford Mass