GMC General at abandoned house

JTFormula

**Weds Update**

I spoke with the lady who owns it. The truck belonged to her uncle who passed away a few years back. She got my letter in the mail and the fact that I wanted to clean the truck up, do some restoration work and use it again made her want to contact me. Most guys just wanted to part it out or scrap it. I told her it was too cool to cut up. I am going to meet her tomorrow at the old house and she is going to let me check it out and I am going to make an offer. Being on this site, it seems like scrap price is the going rate to offer on something like this. $1,500 sound about right? She lost the keys so that is an issue and the title is lost but if I have an old registration or insurance card, we can get a duplicate. I have to ask the DMV since she was the excecutor to the estate, maybe there is some form she can fill out to get a copy of the title as well. But if all goes well, I will be the owner of the GMC by next week.

Sounds like a fair starting offer,does it run? what shape are the tires in? lost keys are not much of an issue,its a whole lot easier to change an ignition switch in a truck then it is in a car. As long as the paperwork aspect pans out (i know what a PITA Jersey DMV can be) looks like a pretty solid sound truck,especially for what you're looking to do with it,and not many Generals around anymore!...............................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Mark,

The truck did run. The only reason why it wasn't being used was the guy died. The lady said someone who wanted to buy it got it running a couple years ago but then backed off after finding out there was a missing title. I'll usually do cash and carry but in this case I think I will give her a $100 deposit based on her getting the title, which I can assist her in getting. If the title can be had, she gets the rest of the money. If not, I get my deposit back. I am meeting her tomorrow so lets see what happens. You never know, there might be a hidden key somewhere too.

• Like 1

I would not let the lack of a title kill the deal on a truck I really liked. If the price is right you can always find a way to get the paperwork.

The price changes if there is no title. Its too much of a pain in the ass to get a title in NJ. Jump through firey hoops, greesing hands, etc and still you might not get one. I have a 1989 Suzuki Katana I got from a friends boyfriend who was the original owner. 1,300 original miles, garage kept but sitting since 1992. He moved, the finance company sent the title to the old address and he never got it. Now I am trying to get a title for this bike over the past 4 months. I had an old registration to get a dup title but since the bike was financed, they needed a letter of payoff. Since this was 20 years ago The bank was going to send a payoff letter or a letter stating they have no longer have a financial interest in the bike, which they said can take 8 weeks. I still haven't heard from them and there is no one to speak with. Just fax the request, hurry up and wait.

Myself & my family has ran our fair share of GMC 9500's ,Brigadiers, & Generals w/ Cummins & Detroit next to the Autocar DK 64 , B Mode (old dog)l, R Models & DM Model Macks we had through the years .

Bad Dog Your on the right track There Brother Volvo (the 5 letter cuss word in my book) Bought White Motor Company in the early 80's Then GM Heavy division round the late 80's ;) look @ the last Brigadiers & Generals they have the blue WhiteGMC Strip across the front of the hood . im surprised they didn't put that damn diagonal line across the grill .

Tom on the Pic of the ole cannonball jimmy & that "Brand X" How did we go from the cannonball jimmy to Brand X? IT'S CALLED THAT DAMN V%*V$ INFLUENCE The Influence that reduced my other brand of truck (Autocar) to a low cab over garbage truck :(

Im also a fan of 671 brigadier videos . it reminds me of our ole 74' GMC S/A Lowboy tractor we had for years w/ a 5&2 & bellyblower exhaust .used to know when Don (the driver)& lil jim was close to the job site bring in equipment (if I wasn't behind the lowboy in Service truck) Used to love to hear that 238 in a hard pull . NOTHING LIKE THE SOUND Of a 238 ;) .

I Still find it hard to believe my granddad traded that ole truck for a new Kawasaki BIG BEAR 4WD 4 Wheeler . I didn't talk to him much for a month (& remember we lived under the same roof) Makes me want to go to the backwoods of W. Memphis, AR & see if LIL Jim is still there or not . id love to have that ole truck back & slam a dump bed on it . ;) 1 of the 1st trucks (next to old dog) I learned to drive I still like to hear an ole 238 Detroit "LOPE" On a cold winter morning till its warmed up . ;)

Jt good luck on the General bro . It looks like a nice project .

yall have a safe one

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Just met with the woman tonight who let me crawl all over it. Really nice lady. The truck Is all there and she said in November she had a guy who wanted it for parts. He put battery's in it and jumped the ignition switch and it fired up. That's a good sign. His wife said no so he went away. My wife couldn't care less. Unfortunately the only reg and insurance card was from the previous owners. I am going to ask my title girl when she goes to the DMV to find out how the executor of an estate can procure a tile. I also want to do a title search and see who's name the truck is in.

If its still in the paving co's name then I have an old reg and insurance card and they can get a dup for me.

Big thing is everything is still in place. 11r24.5 Tires have lots of tread, rears are Bandag retreads. Engine was cleaner than I thought and its got 366,000 miles. I'll post more pics late tonight after my last run to bring crap to my spot at the Etown swap meet.

Just met with the woman tonight who let me crawl all over it. Really nice lady. The truck Is all there and she said in November she had a guy who wanted it for parts. He put battery's in it and jumped the ignition switch and it fired up. That's a good sign. His wife said no so he went away. My wife couldn't care less. Unfortunately the only reg and insurance card was from the previous owners. I am going to ask my title girl when she goes to the DMV to find out how the executor of an estate can procure a tile. I also want to do a title search and see who's name the truck is in.

If its still in the paving co's name then I have an old reg and insurance card and they can get a dup for me.

Big thing is everything is still in place. 11r24.5 Tires have lots of tread, rears are Bandag retreads. Engine was cleaner than I thought and its got 366,000 miles. I'll post more pics late tonight after my last run to bring crap to my spot at the Etown swap meet.

You may have posted it before and i missed it,but what are the specs. engine/ trans etc.?....................................Mark

So much easier in N.Y. When I bought my Marmon went to DMV with a bill of sale from executor of the estate, a tracing of the VIN, an old registration and a copy of the owners death certificate (very important paper) . NY DMV issued me a 1 year nontransferable title and tags. After a year I got a new transferable title. Maybe N.J does something similar. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul, not the same here. I'll find out on Tuesday what black magic needs to be performed but ill get it done.

Mark - Detroit Diesel 8V92 (Silver 92), hp unknown, rears are 38lb 4.10 gear, front axle 12k, Fuller 13spd (rto 146). I took pictures on the specs printed on the sun visors so I can figure out what this thing has.

Some more quick pics:

attachicon.gifgeneral_dash.jpg

attachicon.gifgeneral_int.jpg

attachicon.gifgeneral_eng1.jpg

attachicon.gifgeneral_eng2.jpg

attachicon.gifgeneral_engtag.jpg

attachicon.gifgeneral_frnt.jpg

attachicon.gifgeneral_rear.jpg

I was trying to figure out what this was. I am thinking it's a wetline set up?

attachicon.gifgeneral_wl.jpg

I don't see the hoses but it has the tank. Best bet is look at the trans and either it will have a pump hanging off of it or it will have the pto and a small driveshaft going to a pump.

Toggle switches. If you look in the one interior shot you can see a lever mounted between the seats. I assume this was for the wet kit. There's a PTO pull on the floor I think I remember seeing.

A buddy of mine said even if she didn't get the title he can help me get a legal title through NJ. When I get back from this swap meet I am going to throw an offer to her and see where we end up.

Silver 92, they made alot of power with the large nozzles, and a lot of rpms, sound really nice with a gutted muffler or 2!!

Gotta agree with that! i was thinking it was probly a Cummins or CAT with the single exaust............................................Mark

Good luck! Hope you get it! Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE