GMC General at abandoned house

JTFormula

If you fasten that box too rigid in that position, it will break apart in no time. There is too much frame flex in that area.

Take this from somebody that mounted a aluminum hyd tank in a similar fashion. After fixing cracks several times, I finally got wise and moved the tank.

You may get by with a flange clamp with some springs on the bolts. Only issue you might run into is it walking around due to it not being positively fastened.

I got all the plumbing done underneath to the new locations of the air brake components done tonight. Also got the front supply tank mounted permanently to the inside of the passenger side fuel tank brackets. I had to make some bolt plates because the bolt heads would be inaccessible when the fuel tank was in place. If i ever had to take the trans out, i would have to remove that air tank and I wouldnt want to have to remove the fuel tank as well. Tomorrow night a friend of mine who is a bodyman is going to swing over to assess the cracks in the hood and the large dents in the back of the cab. im hoping to borrow some tools this weekend to get the dents out of the cab and the fuel tanks.

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

• Like 2

post about the dent pulling in the tanks.

i will definitely try to document my process in detail because I've learned as i researched how to do it, that either nobody has real success, or if they do, they don't post results. I don't have high expectations, but I am curious to see how much of a fight they put up.

Do you work on old Hahn firetrucks?

I'll work on anything. i just like tinkering. I dont have much experience with anything outside of General Motors though lol. Actually this is my first large truck. i told the wife I needed a larger truck to haul the tractors before we had a kid. I've always worked with light duty trucks like my 1 ton or my 3/4 ton. It is refreshing to work on this big stuff because its much more forgiving and less tightly packed than the small stuff like the Duramax's. Also on that note, If you guys see something that i'm doing that looks "fishy" please chime in and say something. You guys have a lot more experience with this stuff than i do, and I would like it all done right.

I've been brainstorming since i got the battery box on how to re-arrange the air lines so they wont be in the way of it. Tonight i played around with what seems like my best idea so far. During the great re-route of the utilities under the cab i moved the rear air lines to the driver side of the frame and made a steel plate for all the bulkhead fittings. i welded that plate to a piece of angle that bolts to that rear cab crossmember. I set the top of the angle flush with the top of the frame rails. i figure i can drill and tap two holes in the top of the angle and then make a solid aluminum deck plate "filler panel" to bolt down to fill the space between the cab and battery box to cover the air line plate i made, and to provide a thick surface to put the two trailer airline bulkhead fittings through. Dont worry, that piece of angle will be dressed a little more in its final state. The last picture is how the air lines were originally routed.

IMG_1537_1.jpg

IMG_1538_1.jpg

IMG_1540_1.jpg

IMG_1394_2.jpg

Edited by DieselDeere
  • Like 2

This is probably a longshot, But we used to have a '78 General. In the early 1990's, we needed a couple of windshield wiper motors for it. Westfall GMC in Kansas City was where we finally found some. At that time, they had a lot of new Old Stock parts for the Generals. I don't know if they might still have anything stored away, but it might be worth a shot if you needed anything body/interior wise...

• Like 1

This is probably a longshot, But we used to have a '78 General. In the early 1990's, we needed a couple of windshield wiper motors for it. Westfall GMC in Kansas City was where we finally found some. At that time, they had a lot of new Old Stock parts for the Generals. I don't know if they might still have anything stored away, but it might be worth a shot if you needed anything body/interior wise...

jim price chevrolet in charlottesville va has a decent line of gmc older stuff also. most parts have to be ordered though and all at premium price

Damn, been painted a few times! Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I got the stacks almost finalized tonight. Really wish i could find a driver side cab stack mount, but i'm sure ill come across one. now the next decision is what to do for toppers on top of the mufflers. I'm thinking just flat top 5" to keep it somewhat original. I'm not a huge fan of turnouts, so my other option would be a pair of mitres, which im not opposed to. Nothing is finalized yet (which is evident by my ratchet strap fixturing haha) so any input is welcomed.

image_4.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

• Like 1

Miters would look best IMO. What do YOU like? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE