GMC General at abandoned house

JTFormula

Sorry to hear JT,

Just a suggestion, I would replace all the flexible aeroquip lines and make sure the tanks are clean first.

The supply pumps on Detroits don't usually give you much trouble.

Look on the bright side, it happened before you were halfway to Macungie!!

Ron

Probably just needs to be re-primed from running out and/or sucked some junk or algae

Yep check any and all braided/aeroquip lines for internal collapse. Also dump some fuel treatment/algae killer in there, never know what's growing where.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I did drop some treatment in there. My first thought was with the new fuel maybe I picked up crap in the tank that got churned. Not sure but I don't want to risk breaking down again in a truck that has only gone 19 miles in past 8 years (all in the last year). Hopefully by the Etown diesel show ill be set and ill get out to Gerharts with it.

Saw this for sale on E Bay. 1987 General.SBA with Big cam Cummins. Never saw that type of nose before. Paul

87setbackaxlegeneralk_zps7bc0b515.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

It was under Ended Auctions yesterday morning.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I went back in to my computer history and the listing came up as canceled and a list of suggested similar items. Those lights seem to be 1987 and up.

Paul

post-3242-0-25725600-1401986888_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-94963600-1401986898.jpg

post-3242-0-00841500-1401986910.txt

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Maybe you have done this already but in case you haven't. A lot of Detroit powered trucks had a tire valve stem drilled into the fuel cap. That way you could pressureize the tank to push fuel up to the engine. Becareful not to put to much pressure. We have a 84 8V92 silver that is mean to get going if you run her out of fuel. Just a thought. Hope it helps

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

Thanks for the tip ws721. I don't have a schrader on my fuel caps. Sucker ran perfect to the Hess station. It's when I left getting fuel it crapped out 1/4 mile down the road. I am really thinking it has to do with crap in the tank that got churned up.

Well there was two quarts of transmission fluid to lube the injectors in theremixed with about 10 gallons of fresh fuel from last year. It obviously had an amber hue to it. Now it has another 26 gallons of fresh fuel added to that tank. Depending on my findings, I may have to clean the second tank first, then transfer this fuel there and clean the main tank. Next week ill see if I get a chance to do some investigating.

If your tank was low when you put fuel in it may have "drawn" the fuel away from the pick up tube. Once the pickup tube sucked air Detroits can be real mean to bleed. Not saying that was your case but worth looking into

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

Did my eyes deceive me or have you decided to sell this truck?

I did put an ad up at Macungie for giggles. When I was printing up the ad for my 1978 F150 I figured what the heck, let's see what happens. If someone bites I will use the money to buy a rollback, which I really need. If no interest ill continue to fix it up. I also got the idea again to convert the General into a rollback. I have to call a couple towing dealers and see what kind of investment it would be.

Just bouncing around some ideas. That's all.

• 1 year later...

That temporary electric pump isn't a bad thing at all.

My R model had its original supply pump ruined long while back and previous owner installed electric one of the type fuel injection cars have. Easier to say Bosch pump off some old Mercedes. He either had to remove the rest of the mech pump and put a hand made cover in place it was.

Since that the truck runs with electric pump and I saw no issues with it. Additional bonus I don't need to worry about any air soakings in the lines wich aren't of a fine condition. When I get myself to restore my R or at least revise the engine I would probably like to make all the things stock. But I see no reason to go off that electric pump until that moment. It mounted stationary on the side of the fraim rail though.

Good luck with the trip, hope you'll have more chances to get you with your truck. Seems like experience comes fast. I tell that as a man who was never dealing with big rigs just 4 years back and has about four thousands km driven to the moment.

Sorry to hear about your job interruption.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 1 month later...

I think I know the former owner of your truck. Big Ed Wilburn. He drove a lowboy for a friend of mine. He lived in the house across from Ramtown-Greenville Road in the south end of Howell. He was a nice guy and a good driver. A very large black man. He told me when he retired he was going to pick up a day cab tractor and see if he could make a couple bucks with it. I believe he had been an owner operator before. If you think of selling that truck, I'd be interested. Ed was a really good guy. - Tom

• Like 1

The General was built before the CH, so the CH looks more like a General. I don't remember but did the General predate the Superliner? The initial design of the CH resembled both the General and Louisville.

If you look closely at a GMC General, you can see they actually used a cut-down Astro cabover cab. Similar in concept to the Mack MH/ CH relation.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had a 8v92 in a 359. It was a stock 475 hp. Schizophrenic engine. It would impress the hell out of me by complete surprise, lugging like a Mack when I was certain it was gonna fall on its face, and falling on its face when I had her wound up like a banjo string. 4.10's and a 13 speed. I felt the top side split was an utter waste of time with the 2 stroke. Old timer told me I should have hunted for a Spicer 14 or 16 speed. . . they're like hens teeth.

My 2 cycle guru said the 8v92s were hell on the valvetrain. 71's and even the 6v92 didn't hammer the top-end nearly as bad... no real explanation given though....

Exhaust clamp got loose and rubbed a hole in the aluminum tank one day in suburban Pittsburgh and ran out of fuel. Sweated like a whore in church that day (Fuel all over the place, cops on the way etc etc..). It was a bitch getting her primed up. I think we took a piece of milk hose and attached it to fuel pump. Stood on top of engine with a funnel and force fed the bitch. When she caught, there was no let-up 'till I pulled the stop 50 miles later....

Sargent Trucking in Cuba, NY owns her now....... Good memories! Everyone knew when I was coming home!

• Like 2

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.