Frame question.

VPZINC

Not really sure where to put this so I figured why not here. When our tractor was purchased, my father wanted a short truck so it can be maneuverable. What he didn't think about was with a short wheel base, you can't legally haul the weight that we need. My question is can a frame be stretched? I'd like to streatch the frame and add a lift axle to the truck. If that is do-able, does anyone know shops in NY,NJ,PA,CT,ect that do this kind of work? Being that the truck is a 2007 and only has 18,000 miles on it, I can't justify buying a new truck when mine is still practically brand new.

try Riverview industrys in cold spring,n.y. ask for kevin. You can also go to etc customs in Elizabeth,n.j.

Well sometimes I'm driving for Gulino so check out my gallery. If I'm doing work for myself then I'm in my International. I got tied in with this builder/contractor from Garnerville that does a lot of renovations so there is always some hardscaping or landscaping to be done. Plus I'm trying to do more in Rockland county.

My shop is in Garnerville. It's not a big town, I probably know who ever it it.

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

"Old Macks never die, just get new generations of drivers"

That red Superliner with the rear tag is something not many people do, I have pondered setting a tandem up to accept a pin on axle for a lowboy that way you can pin it on use it then when you dont need it just set it off and your back to a tandem and the shorter wheelbase. A steer tag in front of the drives is best but it means stretching the frame and makes the wheelbase longer so the truck gets a little harder to get into tight spots. From what your describing and the areas your working in if it was me I would go to a dealer that sells lowboy trailers and pin on axles and price a pin on and the work to add the brackets and wiring/air line connections. I think that would give you the maneuverability your looking for and the ability to haul more weight when needed. Remember whichever way you go once you have three rear axles you'll need the fifth wheel slider to be able to set over the center axle to distribute the weight right so it will probably need to be moved a few inches too. An added bonus to the pin on would be no real added weight when it was off the truck so you keep your payload, with a tag and a stretch you'll add about 2,000#or more to the truck.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

A lift tag will get in the way on the back and New York will want it to be steerable so it has to go in front of the tandems. That would be the better set up. You know it's going to be a big job VP. How about Sanchez (TS Limited) ? They have been doing a bunch of tandem stretching making them into tri axles for Breen and Verniero. I would give them a call. They are in Ledgewood NJ.

You could do the rear lift. it may get in the way but they do have steerable. A small jo-dog would work also. Or just have it on the back none liftable it will be down all the time but won't get in the way. Can't find the info on the single axle jeep

You could do the rear lift. it may get in the way but they do have steerable. A small jo-dog would work also. Or just have it on the back none liftable it will be down all the time but won't get in the way. Can't find the info on the single axle jeep

He should really just do the traditional setup around our area with the steerable lift in the front of the tandems. The area VP is in sucks ass for getting around. I've seen the rear tag with steerable. The add on rear tag on Hudson's truck I've seen quite often here in my area with the Canadians coming up from the ports into NY state with heavy haul. I had some pics somewhere. There are a lot of companies from Quebec that have that and they have to stop in Hillburn to get cleared from the NY state troopers to go ahead. Sometimes they are there for a couple of days parked up.

Cheers, Rob

Also a thought his goose neck isn't going to be long enough if he puts that pin on tag to the rear. VP's business is excavating and he probably moves machines many times a week so having to pin on and off all the time as opposed to just having the setup permanent I would think would be better so he is ready for any type of haul. I could see the pin on unit for like what sleepwalker does when you are set up for a specific haul over a distance like these Canadians are doing.

It doesn't. It's trying to find the lesser evil of his options. He has to change his set up to haul his bigger machines as per the weight laws of NY. VP is going to be screwed either way no matter what he does with his area. Maybe like Sleepwalker said a steerable rear tag would turn good kind of like what they do in Europe on their 6x2's.

He should really just do the traditional setup around our area with the steerable lift in the front of the tandems. The area VP is in sucks ass for getting around. I've seen the rear tag with steerable. The add on rear tag on Hudson's truck I've seen quite often here in my area with the Canadians coming up from the ports into NY state with heavy haul. I had some pics somewhere. There are a lot of companies from Quebec that have that and they have to stop in Hillburn to get cleared from the NY state troopers to go ahead. Sometimes they are there for a couple of days parked up.

Cheers, Rob

but putting the axle on the back he will still have the same wb to turn on. Could get a high humped neck made for the rear lift. But he will get 60k or better on the trips and if he pushes down with lets say a 25k axle he may get more then 14k on the steer.

I don't understand how increasing the wheelbase make it easier to "get around".

,As long as the drives are still in the same spot he should have the same turn. May have to get a longer neck or move the kingpin forward to get more reach to keep the trailer closer or get the weight on the steer. On 7 should get min 132k 12,60,60k get the reach more then 12 on the steer. Always got options

My trailer is a 2007 Rogers 55 ton tri axle. The last axle is an air operated lift axle. This is what my set up now is.... post-12925-0-62720400-1364695610_thumb.j

It has absolutely no problems handling the weight, just looking at the legal side of things I'd like to be there too. Especially with work starting to spread out and us traveling farther distances and looking in other places I'd like to have 1 less thing to worry about.

• Like 1

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

"Old Macks never die, just get new generations of drivers"

Also a thought his goose neck isn't going to be long enough if he puts that pin on tag to the rear. VP's business is excavating and he probably moves machines many times a week so having to pin on and off all the time as opposed to just having the setup permanent I would think would be better so he is ready for any type of haul. I could see the pin on unit for like what sleepwalker does when you are set up for a specific haul over a distance like these Canadians are doing.

if the neck on that lowboy is too short to run on a triaxle tractor its not made for loads that heavy its under 50tn, Ive had my time with a lowboy and I have never seen a 50-55tn that didnt have a long enough kingpin setting to get it over the center axle on a triaxle tractor. With the pin on rear the wheel base stays the same until its needed and if you have it on to get down the road when you get into the tight stuff you just dump the air and it doesnt change the turning radius. Also the pin on saves weight to keep the payload up when its not needed, you just drop it on your yard then you are back to your old tare weight, seems a permanent tag would either extend the wb making it harder to maneuver in tight areas(in front of the drives) or extend the length of the tractor and therefore the combo, by needing to slide the 5th wheel back to the center of the rear drive axle to clear and distribute the weight properly. Seems like you need a second truck that is a tri axle, a jeep, or a pin on tag to solve this issue, Guess which is cheaper? Adding a pin on to the trailer gets you some more payload but you will be over on your drives if you get scaled since your dividing the trailer weight by yet another axle and dropping the ground pressure on each then adding cargo weight and the resulting added gp goes where? the drives!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Almost forgot, nice truck, its rere to see a CL down here they are almost all gone, most of the companies either went to a set forward CH for bridge length or another Brand for price.

Re: post #2

Yep!

My trailer is a 2007 Rogers 55 ton tri axle. The last axle is an air operated lift axle. This is what my set up now is.... attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It has absolutely no problems handling the weight, just looking at the legal side of things I'd like to be there too. Especially with work starting to spread out and us traveling farther distances and looking in other places I'd like to have 1 less thing to worry about.

Not saying you have a problem handling the weight. But you are to short to get more weight or for whatever reason. Another axle will give you the more weight without compromising the turning radius of the truck. Short truck going to have to put the axle behind, Or add it to the trailer and yes you can turn but tight turns suck and it is alot of rubber to drag

If you don't have a long enough neck your pissing in the wind. Also slide

Pic 1 I am close but not as close as I can get. 19500 on the steer

Pic 2 4 teeth showing. 20400 on steer with 110 pounds in tag axle

Pic 3 neck extentions work wonders. you get the reach and you can move 3 to 4k forward or backward just moving the kingpin and not sliding. Ditch the Rogers and get a Fontaine. Also there is 6' of slide there. I can move weight where I want and scale damn near what I want. 104k on the deck 20,60,80 on the money. Might want to relook into the config you have. Not saying you do not have enough truck or trailer but you do not have the bridge. Ergo you do not have enough truck or trailer. Move the kingpin forward think it is a couple grand to do. put it at the very front of the neck if it is not there. A few inches or a foot make a big difference.

if you are close on your drives now then adding a 4th is not going to help on the trailer as once you pin a 4th in place on the trailer it shoves 4 k forward. ergo you need the neck. It is a never ending battle just my 2 cents

post-8266-0-30788400-1364731199_thumb.jp

post-8266-0-95699000-1364731227_thumb.jp

post-8266-0-59654800-1364731314_thumb.jp

If you don't have a long enough neck your pissing in the wind. Also slide

Pic 1 I am close but not as close as I can get. 19500 on the steer

Pic 2 4 teeth showing. 20400 on steer with 110 pounds in tag axle

Pic 3 neck extentions work wonders. you get the reach and you can move 3 to 4k forward or backward just moving the kingpin and not sliding. Ditch the Rogers and get a Fontaine. Also there is 6' of slide there. I can move weight where I want and scale damn near what I want. 104k on the deck 20,60,80 on the money. Might want to relook into the config you have. Not saying you do not have enough truck or trailer but you do not have the bridge. Ergo you do not have enough truck or trailer. Move the kingpin forward think it is a couple grand to do. put it at the very front of the neck if it is not there. A few inches or a foot make a big difference.

if you are close on your drives now then adding a 4th is not going to help on the trailer as once you pin a 4th in place on the trailer it shoves 4 k forward. ergo you need the neck. It is a never ending battle just my 2 cents

Your right. He can't do it with his setup. He would have to get a trailer like you have with the extendable goose neck and the way you have the fifth wheel pushed up to get more weight towards the front. Cheaper to hire out to move the big stuff maybe if you are not moving them that much?