2 Valve Engine Brakes

I picked up an 'O' ring and piston rebuild kit from them.

Also a switch kit.

My 'B' had nothing and I'm slowly gathering stuff up.

They seemed to be nice guys and had a bunch of stuff for fixing and rebuilding.

Would I go back?

Yup!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Had a big cam Cummins come through the shop with a set on, they seem to be pretty much identical to the jacobs brand,

From what I was told Jacobs is the original "jake Brake"

Tec is the Mexican Knock off....

Pac is the Canadian Knock off.. I'm sure some on could correct me if i'm wrong...

I have installed alot of pac and tec but have not seen any tec in a while and they seen to work about the same untill you get into the latter models and the jake brake may be better. The tec was some cheaper for a cummins i do remember that. glenn

glenn akers

We've sold lots of TEC Brakes for the Mack 2 VH...haven't heard anything bad. All Jake parts and TEC parts are interchangeable.

I purchased one of Barry's TEC engine brakes. Parts quality looks really good. Packaging was really good and solid.

My understanding is that all of the parts are interchangeable with Jacobs brakes of the same model.

And these kits will work on any of the two valve, six cylinder Mack diesels.

What probably swayed me more than anything else is that new parts are currently available.

We have a couple of older Jake units. Occasionally when a solenoid fails or something breaks, parts can be a hassle.

On the hobby trucks that is not such a big deal, but on a work truck parts availability is an issue.

I have not used PAC brakes, so I can't comment on them.

Other than the fact that, once again, I really do not like buying something from out of the country, I think the TEC brake is a good replacement for the obsolete Jacobs unit.

Barry, I hope you can see your way clear to inventory a new TEC brake for your stock, to have available for sale.

Paul Van Scott

Thanks for the info Guys! I hate being a lab rat for aftermarket parts, but the price is right and I dont see many/ any alternatives. Sounds like a reputable company and a quality product. I will post my results once installed on the 285 and in the truck, hopefully before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info Guys! I hate being a lab rat for aftermarket parts, but the price is right and I dont see many/ any alternatives. Sounds like a reputable company and a quality product. I will post my results once installed on the 285 and in the truck, hopefully before Christmas.

Speaking of being a lab rat - has anyone tried a PAC exhaust brake with their old diesel?

It sure looks like a simple and effective way to help the service brakes.

I know Williams was a big exhaust brake manufacturer, but I haven't found any information about their current products.

We just had a rented straight truck for moving some work stuff - an Isuzu with a six cylinder diesel, and a factory exhaust brake - really nice, smooth and quiet braking. The brake would automatically shut off at about 15 mph. It was plenty strong enough to hold a steady speed down a pretty steep grade, and to slow the truck before a curve, rather than using the service brakes.

And - it looks like about half the cost of a Jacobs or equivalent TEC engine brake.

Thanks,

Paul Van Scott