When Mack Roamed Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Western Asia

2 weeks ago i had seen a white Mack DM (probably 690-s, tanker version) in Zemmoura, Relizane, west Algeria. it had Turkish license plates on it, i tried to take a picture but unfortunately i couldn't because my phone was lagging when the truck was coming on the opposite side of the road, the truck was in excellent condition and it probably belongs to a Turkish construction company, this is the first time* in my life i see a Turkish registered vehicle in my country and how great that it was a MACK !

*(except for another yellow Turkish registered Mack and a Dodge AS-Series i have seen only on the Internet)

5Nbdm89.jpg

You captured a great looking truck and one that seems well cared for.

It is great to see an old dog so well taken care, most of the exported Macks you find on the internet are in terrible shape.

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello this is some other pictures, i think the company is called Yertaş, i searched about them on Facebook and i found this page which included 2 pictures* containing Mack trucks of their fleet appearing randomly, awesome how they still depend on them.

Mack_trucks_Algeria_April_2016 (2).jpg

Mack_trucks_Algeria_April_2016 (1).jpg

Mack_trucks_Algeria_April_2016 (0).jpg

*The pictures I had found on their Facebook page, seemed to be taken on a project location situated somewhere in the middle east, probably in Iraq/Kurdistan region:

Picture #1

Picture #2

Edited by Raji
Transformed the Middle east Mack trucks pictures into a link format in order to keep the main subject of this post related with the presence of Mack trucks in Algeria.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm invading this topic :lol:, I asked the person who took the previous pictures that I already posted If he can took some more, I just like to keep showing these classics some love from the region that I represent ^_^

I'm currently hoping for pictures or information's about the F-Series history in Algeria. :wub:

GxBG3Yk.jpg

Edited by Raji
  • Like 2

Wow!

It seems like I missed the latest updates.

Cool pictures of DM's Turkish company use for contstruction in Algeria.

Once about 5 years back I had luck to cruise Turkish roads with my motorbike. No lees than 2000 km at all including Istanbul, Ankara, main highways and small local roads either. During whole 2 weeks I saw the only Mack there. It was DM or R-model wich passed in opposit direction on the highway. I was going nearly 140 km/h so only could see it was Mack. Had an idea to make a U-turn and follow the truck to talk to the driver but didn't do that. The highway was a toll road so I should reach the nearest exit in something like 5-10 km, pay for the way I did to the moment, make a turn, check in on the entry and than try to get to the truck. So it could take up to 50-100 km of the back way with no garanty of the result. Seemed like Macks were rare in Turky.

On the other hand there's still Turkish company in Russia which builds objects in Moscow. They used to operate 3-4 Mack DM's in middle and late 90's. One of them was could be seen on the road just a couple of years back. As far as I could learn one truck is still alive. Here's a couple of pics of them from the net.

0_24f8d_55b20c1a_L.jpg

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 23.05.2016 at 5:22 PM, Raji said:

Funny how you can find Turkish Mack's but only outside of Turkey...

Here's a good topic about pictures of the old Turkish trucks, Mack's can be seen as you can see in the following page link:

http://wowturkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36032&start=360

Cool to see Turkish folks talking truck tales:)

Following your idea of Turkish Macks outside of Turkey - The first Mack I ever set in a cab of was F-model tractor wich hauled construction materials to Moscow in 1991 or 1992. It was Turkish company and Turkish registerd truck either. With nice Turkish driver who could only say "Max" in English :)

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2016 at 8:40 AM, Raji said:

I'm invading this topic :lol:, I asked the person who took the previous pictures that I already posted If he can took some more, I just like to keep showing these classics some love from the region that I represent ^_^

I'm currently hoping for pictures or information's about the F-Series history in Algeria. :wub:

GxBG3Yk.jpg

This MACK was a Michigan U.S.A.  unit running about 1975

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 23.05.2016 at 4:02 AM, BC Mack said:

Vlad,

if you want to see more Macks you need to go on another motorbike ride but go further east... to Iran.

here is a pic of a modern truck repair shop in the area, maybe they know where all the Macks are!!!!

send us photos as you see them just in case they decide to keep you there, as always it was nice knowing you... :)

BC Mack

BC, 

I still carry this crazy idea on my mind for real.

Once I was pretty close to that but there were too many things to do at the time (as usual) so i had to limit my entertainment to roaming Turkey only.

Made that trip from Moscow to Holland first and than crossed the most of Europe entering Turkey from Bulgaria. Ending up on Mediterranian coast.

Hope Iranians don't have much of plans to keep me in their country. They are friendly to Russians. At least I heard that :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/21/2013 at 10:58 AM, kscarbel said:

Speaking of heavies, I should mention the Mack-Hayes W-HDX that were sold in Europe. In 1969, Mack Trucks purchased a majority interest in Hayes Manufacturing (renamed Hayes Trucks Ltd. in 1971).

Transmodernos of Barcelona, Spain (which later became Transmosa) took delivery of these units in 1974. Paired to a Spanish Trabosa modular trailer for GCWs up to 2,205,000 pounds, they were purchased to meet a contract for the construction of the Almarez nuclear power plant.

Note the Mack emblems on the trucks.

With Cummins VTA1700C engines and Clark CL 16820-9 transmissions, these massive trucks were equipped with Mack 110,000lb "Planidrive" planetary hub reduction axles (as was the Canadian market Mack CL-350ST logging tractor). The front drive axles of these 6x6 units were Clark FDS 22610s.

The CL 350 was built Way heavier than the hayes the frame was huge comparatively We sold the mjority of those trucks here on vancouver Island! THE  Best of the fat trucks in my opinion!  Comparing them to the   Hayes Pacific and  KW . Built MACK tough!

• Like 1

From BULLDOG Mag 2nd quarter 1977.  Saudi Arabia 1976.

http://1 MackBulldogMagazine1977_zps6yhqik4j.jp

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, sidneykleslie@gmail.com said:

🤔They still roam Africa till today. My Dad built the first ever assembled in Africa (Kenya) by hand, and even now he can still point them out on Kenyan roads. He passed the mack bug onto me, I love mack trucks, I have a volvo now, but my next one is a mack

I remember when we sent those trucks in KD form to Kenya!

• Like 1