Superliner Vs. R Model

What are the differences between a Superliner and a regular R model? Weren't they both available with the same engines and transmissions? Also, what is an Ultraliner?

A superliner is an R700, not an R600. You couldnt fit an E9 in an R600. The superliner has a bigger radiator and bonnet and the cab is set further back, and on the Mk2 version it was also raised to increase air flow. Other than the E6 a Cat 3406A and B was the only engine offered in the superliner out here, and with a Horton fan could not be fitted into an R600. Otherwise, yes same chassis, driveline and cab. Ultraliner is a non steel cab cabover released out here in about 1984, slightly earlier in the USA i believe. The last of the Mack cabovers. Out here they were only available with E6 and E9 engines, but in the USA were available with Cummins and Detroit also. They had a grille similar to a CH/R, but it extended the width of the cab. Finished up out here in 1991 were re-released in 1993 as a series 2 and went until about 1999. They were known as an MH model in the states, and an MHR out here, or commonly as an Ultraliner. There is a couple of pictures of our Ultraliner in my gallery.:mack1:

A superliner is an R700, not an R600. You couldnt fit an E9 in an R600. The superliner has a bigger radiator and bonnet and the cab is set further back, and on the Mk2 version it was also raised to increase air flow. Other than the E6 a Cat 3406A and B was the only engine offered in the superliner out here, and with a Horton fan could not be fitted into an R600. Otherwise, yes same chassis, driveline and cab. Ultraliner is a non steel cab cabover released out here in about 1984, slightly earlier in the USA i believe. The last of the Mack cabovers. Out here they were only available with E6 and E9 engines, but in the USA were available with Cummins and Detroit also. They had a grille similar to a CH/R, but it extended the width of the cab. Finished up out here in 1991 were re-released in 1993 as a series 2 and went until about 1999. They were known as an MH model in the states, and an MHR out here, or commonly as an Ultraliner. There is a couple of pictures of our Ultraliner in my gallery.:mack1:

btw just to correct some info a superliner is Not an R700 a superliner model is the RW series for ex. RW600 RW700 were superliners no regular r series was a superliner... some r models were known as valueliners. You could get any engine you wanted in a superliner.

user posted image

btw just to correct some info a superliner is Not an R700 a superliner model is the RW series for ex. RW600 RW700 were superliners no regular r series was a superliner... some r models were known as valueliners. You could get any engine you wanted in a superliner.

He is from Australia so engine availibility was/is different. Detroit is still availible to non Freightliner brands I believe.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Ultraliner is in the Cabovers like Mackdog said examples Are : F ,MH & WS (cruiseliner)

Here in the states The Superliner was available in a 600 or 700 Series depending on what Specs ya wanted

The 700 series carried the E9 Mack Motors Cummins ,Cat motors & I have seen an ocassional Detroit motor in a 700 seires in a Superliner

hope this helps & later yall

IMOP The SuperDog was the Granddaddy of the R Models ;)

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

What years were the E9 V8's in production, and what ranges of hp were they offered with?

The E9 started about 1978 or so with the ENDT 1000 set at 400HP. Its availability in trucks stopped during 1998. Here in the states it was set at 400, 440, 450 and 500HP. In Australia it was available also with 525, 550, 575 and 610HP. The 610 produced 2050 ft/lbs to compete with the C16 and Signature 600. Also down under it was available with electronics around 1996 or 1997.

-Thad

Ultraliner is in the Cabovers like Mackdog said examples Are : F ,MH & WS (cruiseliner)

Here in the states The Superliner was available in a 600 or 700 Series depending on what Specs ya wanted

The 700 series carried the E9 Mack Motors Cummins ,Cat motors & I have seen an ocassional Detroit motor in a 700 seires in a Superliner

hope this helps & later yall

IMOP The SuperDog was the Granddaddy of the R Models ;)

Hey Bulldog Man,this is off topic here,but I saw the best screamin' jimmy video i've seen yet ( for sound anyway ) on youtube yesterday.You might've already seen it,it was posted by tiety and called Shifting a 6-71,and Shifting a 6-71 Part 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Hey Bulldog Man,this is off topic here,but I saw the best screamin' jimmy video i've seen yet ( for sound anyway ) on youtube yesterday.You might've already seen it,it was posted by tiety and called Shifting a 6-71,and Shifting a 6-71 Part 2

I have seen those before. They are really good. Here are the direct links

Ya otherdog ive posted on both of these (b422tmack ) We had a 74' GMC 9500 s/a tractror "Lil Jim" w/ a 671 (or aka 238) w/ a 5& 2 belly blower exhaust w/ exhaust tip pointed out to the side insted of down . bought brand new

i grew up w/ the truck(1 year apart in age tween me & "lil jim") &We had 1 driver for this truck since it was new & he could bump the govner on the 238 before shiffting like the fella in the video & black smoke rolling out under the frame & the ole 238 singing to ya ;) every once in awhile our driver would let me drive "lil jim" he was the driver that tauught me how to drive a 2 Stroke Detroit ;)

loved to hear "lil jim" & "olddog" work together during harvest season pulling the hills out of the bottom land loaded & also on jobsites pulling lowboys & dumptrailers & of course "lil jim" running under an overpass & the sound of the 238 echoing against the wall :D

In 2001 my granddad traded "lil jim" for a 4WD Kawasaki 4 Wheeler i didnt talk to him for a week straight not even on the job ;)

i miss the ole truck :(

these videos remind me of our driver for lil jim he could drive a 238 Just like that ;)

later yall

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

The E9 started about 1978 or so with the ENDT 1000 set at 400HP. Its availability in trucks stopped during 1998. Here in the states it was set at 400, 440, 450 and 500HP. In Australia it was available also with 525, 550, 575 and 610HP. The 610 produced 2050 ft/lbs to compete with the C16 and Signature 600. Also down under it was available with electronics around 1996 or 1997.

Thats pretty well spot on mate, the 575 and the 610 were a VMAC2 and had the electronic accelerator pedal, and were available in the Titans(which I dont think you had over in the states) up until about 2000. That was the last of the V8s. A very sad day. By far the best sounding engine ever made and nearly the best performance,-pre electronic engines anyway. :mack1:

Ya otherdog ive posted on both of these (b422tmack ) We had a 74' GMC 9500 s/a tractror "Lil Jim" w/ a 671 (or aka 238) w/ a 5& 2 belly blower exhaust w/ exhaust tip pointed out to the side insted of down . bought brand new

i grew up w/ the truck(1 year apart in age tween me & "lil jim") &We had 1 driver for this truck since it was new & he could bump the govner on the 238 before shiffting like the fella in the video & black smoke rolling out under the frame & the ole 238 singing to ya ;) every once in awhile our driver would let me drive "lil jim" he was the driver that tauught me how to drive a 2 Stroke Detroit ;)

loved to hear "lil jim" & "olddog" work together during harvest season pulling the hills out of the bottom land loaded & also on jobsites pulling lowboys & dumptrailers & of course "lil jim" running under an overpass & the sound of the 238 echoing against the wall :D

In 2001 my granddad traded "lil jim" for a 4WD Kawasaki 4 Wheeler i didnt talk to him for a week straight not even on the job ;)

i miss the ole truck :(

these videos remind me of our driver for lil jim he could drive a 238 Just like that ;)

later yall

:mack1:yup'it reminded me of the old 860 GMC wrecker they had at the garage I worked at when I got outa high school-it sounded exactly like that.It was a 671 with a 5 and 2.

So there were no Mack v8's before '78, or what?

:SMOKIE-LFT: Mack made V8's before '78. They started with the Endt864 in the mid 60's wich I think was 250 HP. naturally aspirated. Then they came out with the Endt865 325 HP. and the Endt866 375 HP. These were considered to be monsters, back in the day, and really still are today as far as cubic inches go. I was running an 866 until about 2 yrs ago and it held its own pretty good for an engine thats about the same age as it's driver. It would still blow off alot of this newer stuff if I wanted to. They were a competitor to 12v71 Detroit diesels, and 1693 Caterpillar, and 903 Cummins engines. I know guys that ran the when the were new and they told me that if you could get the right guy to play around under the hood that you could squeeze about 500 HP. from an 866 if you wanted to. The Endt 865 and 866 were made until '78 when they came out with the BIG BOY Endt1000 later calld the E9.

:SMOKIE-LFT: Mack made V8's before '78. They started with the Endt864 in the mid 60's wich I think was 250 HP. naturally aspirated. Then they came out with the Endt865 325 HP. and the Endt866 375 HP. These were considered to be monsters, back in the day, and really still are today as far as cubic inches go. I was running an 866 until about 2 yrs ago and it held its own pretty good for an engine thats about the same age as it's driver. It would still blow off alot of this newer stuff if I wanted to. They were a competitor to 12v71 Detroit diesels, and 1693 Caterpillar, and 903 Cummins engines. I know guys that ran the when the were new and they told me that if you could get the right guy to play around under the hood that you could squeeze about 500 HP. from an 866 if you wanted to. The Endt 865 and 866 were made until '78 when they came out with the BIG BOY Endt1000 later calld the E9.

Dont forget the 864 V8 twin turbo. I believe it was rated at 300-325HP.

-Thad

yeah,I drove a '74 Transtar with a vt903,rated at 320 hp,and it wouldn't stay in the same county with a v8 325 Mack.Turn the fuel up on 'em and a 400 Cummins couldn't hang with them.

yeah,I drove a '74 Transtar with a vt903,rated at 320 hp,and it wouldn't stay in the same county with a v8 325 Mack.Turn the fuel up on 'em and a 400 Cummins couldn't hang with them.

I have a ENDT865 in my R model with the fuel turned up way too much. I've only pulled a full belly dump grain trailer once, but it sure pulled strong with lots of thick, black smoke.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Dont forget the 864 V8 twin turbo. I believe it was rated at 300-325HP.

Were there many of the ENDT864s(twin turbos) around? I think there were only 2 or 3 that came out here to Australia in F models- F719RS. Ive seen a picture in the US of an R719. Out here the END864 was rated at 255hp, then in the R models they wre called an END864A and were rated at 284hp, and that was between '65 and '67. There were only 25 V8 R models out here and I think only 35 V8 F models, so it was a fairly limited run. The 865/6 were quite a popular motor though. :mack1: