Saving Disc Space on BMT

Barry

Hey guys, I just wanted to remind everyone that there is another option for uploading photos to BMT...one that will help us save disc space. As some of you already know...uploading to the forums uses up your allotted space and once it is full, you can't upload anymore. The same thing happens to our server on a bigger scale. One way to avoid that is to open a free account on www.photobucket.com Once you have an account, you can upload your photos from your PC to the Photobucket account and then just copy and paste their links to your posts on BMT! It doesn't use any of your upload space and the photos will remain on photobucket until the end of time. All posts here will remain intact as long as you never move or rename the photo within your photobucket account. You can also do the same with our built in gallery. It uses a separate area of storage so it shouldn't affect your forum upload space but it still does fill the server's disc space. The gallery is optimized for photo storage though so it isn't too bad.

But seriously, give Photobucket a try if you plan on uploading a lot of photos to a post or if you have run out of upload space! It is easy to use and very powerful!

Edited to add: Any of the many free photos hosting sites will work fine on BMT such ad Picaso, Flickr and Tinypic! I just referenced Photobucket because that is what I use and I am more familiar with it.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

I appreciate the direct link & space savings BMT has with photobucket, BUT that would mean starting all over again uploading to another service. Since i am already committed to Picasa & Flickr, when space runs out well that will be it.

RM

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

I appreciate the direct link & space savings BMT has with photobucket, BUT that would mean starting all over again uploading to another service. Since i am already committed to Picasa & Flickr, when space runs out well that will be it.

RM

Photobucket is one of my favorites, but Picaso and Flickr will work the same way and are fine to use here! Just copy and paste the code that the hosting site gives you. There are actually many free hosting sites out there and they will all work here fine! I just referenced Photobucket because that is what I usually use.

bmodel_logo.png

Barry,

I have tried to use that on other sites, but was not able to. I hate to open another account on another site just to be able to do that. Is there any way that you can make it more user - friendly (for dummies like me) to use a third party host, or post a detailed tutorial? Maybe that will encourage us all to do it that way.

• Like 1

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Any photo hosting site should work just fine...I can work on a tutorial but here is the short and sweet:

1. Upload your photos to hosting site

2. Copy the code from the photo you want to post while you are viewing it on the hosting site. It should look like this:

[img]http://www.my_image_name_here.com[/img]

3. Past everything you see in the code above (including the tags) into your BMT post. Click POST and you are done! You photo will appear in the post as normal!

If you want to practice, try it in the TEST FORUM. Our BMT Gallery also provides the tag code just like a hosting site!

bmodel_logo.png

<p>Here's my flickr pictures-</p>
<p>http://www.flickr.com/photos/28526133@N04/</p>

I also have pictures on webshots and photobucket, but I can't seem to sign in to either one right now for some reason. Just search "other dog".

And, I went back the last few days I was home and went to my control panel, clicked on "manage my attachments" and deleted numerous pictures. Hundreds of pictures. Anything over a few months old probably won't be seen any more anyway, right? I did not delete any stupid pictures, or Winfall pictures, or "Spot the Wonder Dog" pictures, so don't worry- just "pictures of the week" pictures that were old.

And another thing, does resizing pictures help Barry? I usually resize all my pictures, making them as small as possible. Well, as small as is practical anyway. Brochures and such need to be big enough to read, but other stuff, like girls in Winfall for example, only need to be big enough to see.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Oh yeah...if you resize a photo it does indeed take up less space. Recommended size is 800px for web viewing. We don't have a space issue as of now but a little preventive maintenance will save us a lot of trouble in the future! :D The biggest problem right now is that members are running out of upload space and I just can't keep increasing the allowed upload space or we will end up like the Twinkie scene in Ghostbusters! Hotlinking to photo hosting sites is one way to help photo posting members!

bmodel_logo.png

well, I found out why I can't sign in to webshots. That's where I had most of my pictures, including several different ATHS shows I went to. They're gone...all gone. Webshots is now Webshot Smile, run by a different outfit. Their frequently asked questions column said "we sent e-mails to webshot members last October informing them of this coming change...blah-blah-blah...you can no longer access old pictures unless you moved them...blah-blah-blah". They always sent e-mails saying how many people viewed your pictures, and i'd just delete them, so when they sent the other e-mails I probably saw "webshots" on them and just hit the delete button. Anyway, they're gone now...all gone.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.