Fords

RFCDrum

Yea select o shift. My dad had originally a Golden Jubillee with a york rake, then a 641 Workmaster with a tubular loader and tubular backhoe which he broke the first day he had it lol. Then he bought the 63 with a 1969 9 ton Eager Beaver tag along in 1970 from Caldwell Tractor. Which I still have both. I will post pics of the trailer.

Are those Wain-Roy backhoes?

FW

No fifth wheel they are Fords. The Wain -Roy 's are basically the same. The 63 has a 10 ft and the 64 has a 14-15 ft. The hoe on the 64 is probably a bit too big but nice for reaching. I need to have the valve bodies fixed the hoes sink. A real problem trying to get parts or replacements. Those valve bodies are like the Holy Grail. My dad's friend had a David Brown industrial that had a Wain-Roy backhoe on it. My father kicked himself for never buying that machine. It was diesel, multi range trans. Had a slightly light front axle on it though. The owner of Star Ravioli bought it and took it to his farm. 4 levers that is what I was taught on.

Cheers, Rob

I've got a '47...was my grandpa's. One of these days, I'll get it running again. Last time I had a chance to work on it, it wasn't getting any spark....also needs rims & tubes for the back tires. Then the hydraulics are going to have to be gone over since everything creeps...bucket wants to dump and lower unless you keep pulling on the levers. I'm thinking it might be in the control valve...if I remember correctly, grandpa rebuilt the cylinders, but never messed with the control valves.

Oh well....

Dangit. I thought I had some pics on this computer, but I guess not. I'll have to try to find 'em...I know I've got 'em stored somewhere.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Nice- I was working for a developer in Conn. in early 60's. We had an 801 Ford with a shuttle stick and an Eranco driving front axle. In those days a 4WD TLB was a rare thing. Drive shaft for the axle came out the side of the trans case on the left side, then under the foot rest to the left side of the axle. The tractor was red/gray but we had a new 14' hoe that was cream color with red ford Script. iittle devil would do a lot of work. I found a B & W picture, I'll see if I can get one of my kids to scan.

Took about 5 minutes to put the hoe on or off.

Red Horse the backhoes come off pretty quick to get to the 3 point hitch. I have pics of an 801 with the driving axle. I believe the axle was a Dodge product. The backhoe was definetly an industrial hoe. Rowdy Rebel the 47 would of had some sort of a tubular loader on it I would imagine. I had a guy right in Sloatsburg that had an English industrial diesel 4000 TLC.It had a different cowl on the front. He wouldn't part with it. Two is enough for me right now. There are machines around but people want a lot of mula for them. Back then John Deere couldn't get their act together with their backhoes with the chain swing and Case wasn't very good in the early sixties. Everybody had a Ford industrial at least in our area.

Cheers, Rob

Some information about the Wain-Roy company and their backhoes. They were located in Hubbardston MA which is 2 towns from where I live, and remember the building built in the 50's I would say and torn down about 7 years ago. This is where the first hydraulic tractor backhoe was manufactured , with the idea ,invention, and patent of Wanio and Roy. ( see Wikipedia "backhoe") for the time line of this. I remember them on Oliver, Fordson Major, and Ford Industrial model tractors. The Ford agricultural line where fitted with Sherman trenchers and other add-on units.

They had a signature design and configuration and RFCDrum your tractors appear to be Wain-Roy units made for Ford. The Ford built backhoe changed the configuration of the boom and stick cylinders.

I know Roy's two sons, and more interestingly in about 1959/60 the salesman for the new company Wain-Roy, Ken R. lived up the street. I distinctly remember him showing my father, and I was there of course, a working scale model of a Ford tractor with the new Wain-Roy backhoe. (about 1/16-1/12 scale). I am told this is what they took to Ford to demonstrate their new product.

Made in the USA. ;)

FW

Some information about the Wain-Roy company and their backhoes. They were located in Hubbardston MA which is 2 towns from where I live, and remember the building built in the 50's I would say and torn down about 7 years ago. This is where the first hydraulic tractor backhoe was manufactured , with the idea ,invention, and patent of Wanio and Roy. ( see Wikipedia "backhoe") for the time line of this. I remember them on Oliver, Fordson Major, and Ford Industrial model tractors. The Ford agricultural line where fitted with Sherman trenchers and other add-on units.

They had a signature design and configuration and RFCDrum your tractors appear to be Wain-Roy units made for Ford. The Ford built backhoe changed the configuration of the boom and stick cylinders.

I know Roy's two sons, and more interestingly in about 1959/60 the salesman for the new company Wain-Roy, Ken R. lived up the street. I distinctly remember him showing my father, and I was there of course, a working scale model of a Ford tractor with the new Wain-Roy backhoe. (about 1/16-1/12 scale). I am told this is what they took to Ford to demonstrate their new product.

Made in the USA. ;)

FW

Fifth wheel they are identical to the Wain-Roy. They are badged as Ford with a Ford serial number. The David Brown I mentioned in my other post had the Wain- Roy badged but was identical to our hoe. Thank you for the info on this. You can't beat that backhoe. Always dependable. The only problem now is in the valve body and I have to start really digging into a solution. It's a pain in the ass to chain it up when you are on the job. Ford had a lot of weird attachments up to when they came out with the industrials and also the overhead motors.

Cheers. Rob

Rob,

So what is that super cool color???? I do get a kick out of seeing fleets have a full on paint scheme or color applied to all the equipment.

Rick

The original color was on a brand new 67 Ford F100 my dad had bought. After that he bought new a GMC 5500 dump/rack truck and GM called it GMC medium green. The color has evolved but I recently located the original RM paint code and will be going back to it. It's a little creamier than what we have now which is has a little more blue in it. My father liked it because it doesn't show the dirt as much. Everybody around me has either forest green, brown or white trucks. You can't tell anybody apart.

Cheers, Rob

• 1 month later...

about a year ago I hauled one of those backhoes home for my neighbor, he was going to use it keep his pond cleaned, long story short it was more welding rod, scabs and leaks than anything, he eventually got it running and then sold it with out using it, He ended up hiring a guy with an old 1940's drag line to do the pond, that when I seen it I was surprised still was running.

Smoke would plume out of the cab and engine door when it would be pulling hard. The drag line looked to be in about a bad shape as that backhoe was. The drag line broke down a few times but the operator got it running and finished the pond and was able to limp it back on the trailer

I thought it was going to break down and get left like the one on my father-in-law when he had a pond cleaned back in the mid 90's

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I'm never going to get rid of them. I cut my teeth on four levers running the backhoe. He's seven now and goes to work with me all the time. I want to get the tractors all tuned up this year and start using them again. They're good for getting into backyards. I'm glad you like the color. It doesn't show the dirt as much.

Cheers, Rob

The front of my 63 4000 with my son about 5 years ago.

Cheers, Rob

Nice looking- junior and the Ford! It almost looks the same as my 68 Bronco. I think the color was called turqouise. I've thought of painting it to match the B Model (Adirondack Green) then again it is an original color-and the bronco is "uncut" so.......

My father's original color was on his 67 Ford F100 in that green. Then later on when he bought the 70 GMC 5500 it was painted in GMC medium green which is the shade I am going back to. I have the original RM paint code. The color I have now is a touch brighter. I want to go old school with everything with the equipment.

• 1 month later...

My Dad on the 63 a few years ago. Working on a sink hole the size of a car in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ. Second pic me my dad and our crew some years ago in Franklin Lakes on a big pool project. The 64 was just painted.

Cheers, Rob

post-8724-0-76593100-1370701396_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-87362100-1370701411_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad on the 63 a few years ago. Working on a sink hole the size of a car in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ. Second pic me my dad and our crew some years ago in Franklin Lakes on a big pool project. The 64 was just painted.

Cheers, Rob

I don't see too many of those Fords, but the ones that I have seen and talked to the people that own them.... Well they just love em! I wanted to buy a Ford tractor with a PTO grass cutter on it that a guy up here in Hunterdon county had, it was about 30 years old but real nice!! (like new) It didn't last one day ! SOLD befor I got there. I did get to see it, the guy had all the org paper work and all his own mant. records!

BULLHUSK