Celli Trucking Co.-A Chicago Legend

5 hours ago, PeterMack said:

This place had a ton of old crap lying around. Wrecked trucks, an Axle trailer that didn't look terrible and other assorted stuff. Was a small garbage company that I had to borrow their scale for a minute.

Wonder if they would unload one of those trailers I really want one of the early sunrise dumps with the rounded sides like an early aluminum tub trailer.

13 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

Would be nice to revive 9261 but I'm sure it would be a budget issue.:)

I'm  sure  it  would, James. I would  at least like to  preserve  at least 1 door. I,  like you,remember  when   every other  truck  was a Celli truck. I  often think  about  doing  the '88 in Celli  colors to pay homage  to the  man, Eugene  Celli.  Al  

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

20 hours ago, 57 bcr said:

I'm  sure  it  would, James. I would  at least like to  preserve  at least 1 door. I,  like you,remember  when   every other  truck  was a Celli truck. I  often think  about  doing  the '88 in Celli  colors to pay homage  to the  man, Eugene  Celli.  Al  

Al you need to go over there and trace that logo so you have it exactly like the original its probably vinyl anyways nobody paints names on their doors anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sas454 said:

hey! i resemble that remark...but sadly you are correct. I am definitely in the minority with paint on my doors...and i speak english...and i can back up!

Our mixers are stickers, but the road trucks are hand lettered and pin stripped by Ed Covarrubias 

3 hours ago, ranchhopper said:

Al you need to go over there and trace that logo so you have it exactly like the original its probably vinyl anyways nobody paints names on their doors anymore.

Eugene  told  me he was taking up drafting many years ago,and designed  that logo using the cutouts in one of his protractors to make the angles in the letters. How's that for some trivia?  Thats a good idea,Kevin. I'll have  to  do  that.    Al  

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

20 hours ago, sas454 said:

hey! i resemble that remark...but sadly you are correct. I am definitely in the minority with paint on my doors...and i speak english...and i can back up!

But do you wear socks with sandals?

15 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

Yes a book for sure. Does the Cement Transport Company still use the Celli logo?

James,I think  they were not to use the logo as it was. The trucks still  have CTC on the door  but it is more of  a  block lettering,kind of  generic. The  bulk tanks still say CELLI on them,which I believe  are still   leased  from their leasing  div.. Storkmack  probably  has more info on that,being a bulk cement  carrier. I wish I   could  have  spent more time with him myself ,to compile  more information. He sure was a walking encyclopedia  1e279713357400128c164fbd1c59835c.jpg.8103a3fb357efdc3ce8ea8924f3f766d.jpgon the Chicago  trucking scene  and MACK Trucks.  Al   

First gear replicas made a 1/34 celli Mack but there hard to find. They also make a 1/64 R model with a silver short dump trailer like the Celli used. There are seven verticalside ribs that can accommodate letter stencils such as Celli-Sunrise-Meyer-Tewes-Funk-Dundee etc. There are several tractor colors available. They also have a fallen flag series which includes Smith Transfer-Mushroom-PIE-McClean-APA-North Penn. I think there are about 16 different fallen flags. These R models also fit well with Winross/PEM and DCP trailers.:)

• 3 months later...
On 3/6/2013 at 9:44 AM, 57 bcr said:

This truck,a :mack1: NR9,was one of 2 Gene Celli & his Dad,Carlo, bought after the war.Both had 510's in 'em.One diesel,the other gas.He told me they were both former Red Ball Express military trucks! Said they ran them for years.He paid something like $5000.00 for the pair at a miltary surplus auction in Springfield,Ill. Note the Genuine Army canvas roof still intact.He said later on,they did put the steel roofs on the trucks.This picture was taken in Chicago, 1948.

post-510-0-13186300-1362584503_thumb.jpg

Yet  another  picture  of  the  same  truck ends  up  on  ebay!  Al  202010742018_1_0_1.jpg.85e98a9e32110f1cd686d8b4fef78980.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, j hancock said:

Looks like a fox tail tied to the top of the hood!  

That is  the thing that made me think  it was the same  truck,Jim. The 1st  pic has a tail on it too. Unless  it's  a  coincidence,I don't  know?   Al  

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I worked at Celli Trucking while in high school, 1964-68. I remember a lot from that time. I was there when Bulkmatic started. I was the first one to clean the trailer hooked to 101. The drivers name was Glen Geisen. He was the first driver hired to drive the Bulkmatic. He hauled flour to a bakery in the city. I'll be back there in a few weeks (10-12-18) to visit and was wondering if Mr. Celli is still alive and receiving visitors. 

On 9/21/2018 at 1:47 PM, james j neiweem said:

Les: If you have any pictures of Celli or Bulkmatic Mack's please post. 57 BCR probably knows about Mr. Celli but I believe he passed away.

I am afraid  James is right,Les.  Eugene  "Gene" Celli  passed  away April  2nd , 2015 . I still  have a message  on my voice  mail from him from 2014, that I haven't  erased yet! . 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 9/21/2018 at 10:37 AM, Les said:

I worked at Celli Trucking while in high school, 1964-68. I remember a lot from that time. I was there when Bulkmatic started. I was the first one to clean the trailer hooked to 101. The drivers name was Glen Geisen. He was the first driver hired to drive the Bulkmatic. He hauled flour to a bakery in the city. I'll be back there in a few weeks (10-12-18) to visit and was wondering if Mr. Celli is still alive and receiving visitors. 

Do you remember Chip and Al that Mr. Celli sold Bulkmatic to?