Celli Trucking Co.-A Chicago Legend

Hey guys Dick would love to talk about the old days you can contact him through my e-mail account, bill11410@yahoo.com he,s not very teck savy so I will help him.

Good deal! Thanks again,Bill!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a Celli peterbilt in Ct years ago. Did Celli ever run any other truck makes other than Mack.

There was a FORD NT-series tractor at Schiller Park.I did see a picture with 6 IH Loadstar tandem dumps.A few years back,they were a Western Star dealership for a short time.There was a 4800 series W. Star tractor in Celli colors that was in the fleet.I'm sure there were others.Here's a Ford T series.post-510-0-39736000-1367546522_thumb.jpg

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Attended Mr. Celli's wake on Wednesday afternoon. I thanked his sons (and daughter) for the contributions he made to the trucking industry. The inroads he made in bulk cement hauling(in general) and the use of short trailers in Illinois,were just 2 of his many accomplishments. He was an innovator,thinker,humanitarian,businessman,and all-around good guy & friend to many. I can't count the times I would hear a guy say,"Yeah,I started at Celli......bought one of those old B models from him......it blew up on me (here's where I thought I'd hear the bad stuff).......but Eugene worked with me,fixed my truck and got me back running in no time....I have nothing bad to say about the guy". I am going to keep in touch with his son Carlo,and hopefully get some nice copies of the many pictures they had taken over the years. Al

• Like 2

Attended Mr. Celli's wake on Wednesday afternoon. I thanked his sons (and daughter) for the contributions he made to the trucking industry. The inroads he made in bulk cement hauling(in general) and the use of short trailers in Illinois,were just 2 of his many accomplishments. He was an innovator,thinker,humanitarian,businessman,and all-around good guy & friend to many. I can't count the times I would hear a guy say,"Yeah,I started at Celli......bought one of those old B models from him......it blew up on me (here's where I thought I'd hear the bad stuff).......but Eugene worked with me,fixed my truck and got me back running in no time....I have nothing bad to say about the guy". I am going to keep in touch with his son Carlo,and hopefully get some nice copies of the many pictures they had taken over the years. Al

That was great you were able to attend and be able to talk to his family AL. Hope you are able to keep in contact with the family.

I met Gene through his cousin Bob in '71(I was 10 at the time). I was impressed then and even more as I learned more about the guy. Al

• Like 1

Here is a picture that Tommy B took of that truck. Its also posted way back on the Chicago thread. Its for sale, or was anyway,

I've heard it is pretty rough though.

That's it my friend passes it all the time says its just rusting away sitting in the same spot for years.

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2013 at 8:34 PM, 57 bcr said:

post-510-0-78489600-1363306993_thumb.jpg Celli had to be the largest if not one of the largest users of the Clariben fiberglass tilt replacement hoods,for B models.Like 'em or not,they were a way to lighten up your B,and make it easier to work on.They had already converted several over to this hood,in 1971.post-510-0-00103800-1363307287_thumb.jpgThis last picture shows many of the B models in their Wauconda (Ill.) yard needing fenders by the early '70's. post-510-0-20592100-1363307363_thumb.jpg

I drove the #631 B Model in 1970 out of Wauconda yard. Not sure if that 6310 is same truck renumbered?

If I remember  right, they added the 0 on the end once they started selling  the  trucks  to the drivers (around '73-'74-the Wauconda  fleet,anyway). Welcome,  Ismall. Please fill in some  "blanks" in this great story!     Al  

On 3/30/2017 at 11:00 AM, ranchhopper said:

I would like to get one of the old ones it would never haul anything even those old sunrise aluminum dumps but I think the torch got most of the older dumps sitting in the back corners of the parking lots.

I'm  afraid  you're  right,Kevin. A Hendrickson collecting buddy  of mine stopped  over  there  to get some pics  of  the 3 Hanks  sitting there yet among the sea of  dumpsters! Al