Celli Trucking Co.-A Chicago Legend

Wow. Nice history on Bulkmatic. Mr Celli certainly made his mark on the industry.

Jim,Eugene "Gene'" Celli did so much experimental work in the fields of gravel & bulk cement (& other products)hauling,and never took credit for the advances himself.He told me that the people that surrounded him,were the ones who did all the work and that he just gave them a place to figure it all out.He is a very humble person,knowing that he alone could not take complete credit for everything done in the area of construction material hauling.There are probably similiar stories of other individuals,but they are fading fast.My advice,go thank these pioneers(if you know of any)for all they have done for our industry before they're gone.

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Al,i sure agree about talking to the "old timers" only problem i see is WE'RE fast becoming the old timers now! LOL!......................................Mark

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/14325-trucking-history/?hl=%2Btrucking+%2Bhistory

I'm hearin' ya,Mark! LOL!! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

This picture was of an WS (Cruise-Liner) day cab, that was going through a Celli rebuild.Storkmack's dad worked there at the time and told me Gene got a deal on a bunch of single axle Cruise-Liner daycabs,converted them all to tandems,and put them in his bulk cement hauling division.post-510-0-35433600-1363608818_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very interesting article!

I found the comment about turning back the odometer when serviced and this was IL law amusing. Just try to do that now!

Jim

Yea,that was good,Jim!

im wonderin what kinda Computer print out or calculations they had back in the late 60's?????? yea turnin the odometer back was a good one also. here one to think about... recently my brother in law underwent a heart transplant in Upstate Ny, after a heart transplant, they give you a NEW birthday i found out??? just think have to go 21 more years to be able to drink again haha

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Neat article Al,thanks for posting it ! Cruiseliners? Bulk Cement tankers? don't know if that was all that great an idea! LOL!....................................Mark

Glad you liked it,Mark.Had to keep the weight down,you know! I don't know what could be lighter than the aluminum day cab Cruise-Liner? Now longevity, was another story! Al

• Like 1

Glad you liked it,Mark.Had to keep the weight down,you know! I don't know what could be lighter than the aluminum day cab Cruise-Liner? Now longevity, was another story! Al

Thats what i was thinking!...........................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

If you everdo get back there,ask him if he would happen to have the title for my B-613??? B613LST4973

Ok,Mike.I'll ask.

Al

Great pictures, the "G" model day cab actually had a decent step on it!

Always thought the rebar welded to the front hub cap was a bit on the cheap side.

I at one time used to reset the odometers on our trucks when we rebuilt the motors in them.

Ron

Ron,

I really didn't notice (imagine that) the step.I do remember seeing that "stub"on the hubcap you're talking about,on a factory G photo I have.I thought that was kind of crude myself.Must not have been in the budget,huh? LOL! Hey,resetting odometers was a common practice and a way of keeping track of milage on rebuilds.Thats just the way it was done.Right Ron? Al

318 roadoiler behind a quadbox? man o man ! thats a combination that would work you half to death in a days time! you'd sure know you put in a days work after that all day!....................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.