Anti-freeze/ Recovery Bottle Question

Truck#1

I have a problem with anti-freeze squirting out of the small hole in the plastic cap on the recovery tank. It seems like the system is over pressurizing the top tank, forcing down into the recovery tank then out the weep hole.

At one point I'll have a full recovery tank, and an empty top tank ( then I get the warning lights and the engine turns it self off). The engine runs at normal temp and it won't suck anti-freeze back up from the recovery tank. I'm going to replace the cap on the top tank but other than that, anyone have any ideas???? A thought crossed my mind about sealing up that small hole but I didn't. I know it's there for a reason. It is a 98 CH w/427. thanks for your help. rob

Could you possibly have a head gasket Issue??? Typically the recovery tank should take the over flow from the cooling system as it warms up.... and draw it back it in as it cools. But if you have a head gasket "issue" it could be forcing compression into the cooling system and pushing the water out... Had the issue with an old 237 ( hate to addmit it we run her that way for a few weeks, when the gauge started to climb off of 180 we'd fill her back up with water, and run her a few more hours.. finally did the head gasket when the clutch "crapped out"). I'm not saying thats what your problem is but....you might want to have it checked..

I have a problem with anti-freeze squirting out of the small hole in the plastic cap on the recovery tank. It seems like the system is over pressurizing the top tank, forcing down into the recovery tank then out the weep hole.

At one point I'll have a full recovery tank, and an empty top tank ( then I get the warning lights and the engine turns it self off). The engine runs at normal temp and it won't suck anti-freeze back up from the recovery tank. I'm going to replace the cap on the top tank but other than that, anyone have any ideas???? A thought crossed my mind about sealing up that small hole but I didn't. I know it's there for a reason. It is a 98 CH w/427. thanks for your help. rob

Rob Theres been a problem with the liner protution on these engines anything pass 400 horse the liner protusion needed to be set at 28 thou .Unfortunatly the liner height in your engine is likly set at low spec for a low HP engine which will be aprox 22 !if the engine has any milage on it beyond say 300 thousand miles it maybe the liners are set too low. thousands of engines left the factory like this most lived a good life others din't cut the mustard depending on the job they were doing.

WHAT milage is on the engine????

sealing up the hole will do no good!You can try plugging the hole in the water pump to prove its not sucking air from there other than that I have no encoragment!Repairng the problem is just short of a rebuild entails up rooting the liners shiming them with 4 thou shims and resealing them IF they are Not too worn other wise!And installing new rings and deglazing the liners if reusable!

Edited by fjh

As has been mentioned compression is probably finding it's way into the cooling system. I have seen this symptom several times through the years.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It has 584,000 + miles on it. The only work that was done to it before I bought it was a new cam at about 500,000. Thanks for the ideas. Nothing is ever easy is it???

Nope sure isn't!Whish you the best of luck!We Have had succes raising the liners and putting it back together!You run the risk of creating an oil burner if you don't deglaze and re ring throu!Some thing to try!! worst part is your right there at the rebuild point! and doing a patch job. ? the idea but if your budget isn't there your budget isn't there.ya got to do what you got to do!

Ok, you guys that thought I had a head gasket issue I did concur for awhile anyway. I don't know if this make sense, and maybe it still is a head gasket issue.

My truck (98 Ch w/427, Jake) does some funny stuff.

I had the heater on all day today. I had no recovery bottle / anti-freeze leak. Before I continue know this.....it looks like there are 2 different heater cores going into the firewall..one on top of the other with 2 in 2 out heater hoses. I'm not sure what is what however the bottom core was disconnected by the previous owner. and the hose lines re-routed all over the place. I have heat out of the the defrosters (on the heat setting) and out of the vents on the vent setting. No heat down below. I also get what sounds like an air leak from the climate control levers.

I hope this is the cause of the pressure in the system. My question is this...is there a schmatic diagrahm for heater/coolant lines ? I should take a pic and let you guys see the coolant lines under the hood. Thanks again

Rob

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but I had the same problem with the coolant system being pressurized. It started with a hole in the radiator, replaced it. Hole in the coolant tank, replaced that. Still had the same problem. Finally gave up and took it somewhere to get looked at and the guy said it could be one of two things. The worst being the head gasket bad or...the air compressor going bad. A test where some doo-dad is stuck into the recovery tank and if the compressed air contains carbon it turns the liquid a different color showed nothing. They then bypassed the coolant lines from the compressor and determined that's what the problem was. After they got it off, they took the compressor apart and found that the head gasket was shot and allowed compressed air into the coolant. Since then I haven't had a bit of trouble and have never had to add coolant. I've sent in a couple random oil samples and they've both come back excellent. Just something else to consider anyway since I didn't see it mentioned and is relatively cheaper than tearing the engine half apart.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg