Your Mack Off-Highway Truck Line

I talked with Barry (the lead moderator) and now know why I'm unable to load more brochures. For any given member, we are limited to a fixed amount of upload space and I have reached that limit (I get the message "You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments"). Barry explained that I could either make a donation to BMT and become a VIP member, or remove some of my current picture uploads.

As I feel that people, both newcomers and long-time viewers alike, use this forum as an informational reference (a library of sorts), I feel it would be detrimental to the website if any of us remove our previously uploaded pictures of brochures and trucks. I feel as though I've already made a donation of sorts, taking time out during the busy week to make some high quality scans of now rare brochures, both Mack and other. It's been my pleasure to do so, but apparently that ends here. I have to respect the BMT's system, however I choose not to remove any of the downloaded documents that I've had the pleasure of sharing with all of you.

• Like 1

I talked with Barry (the lead moderator) and now know why I'm unable to load more brochures. For any given member, we are limited to a fixed amount of upload space and I have reached that limit (I get the message "You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments"). Barry explained that I could either make a donation to BMT and become a VIP member, or remove some of my current picture uploads.

As I feel that people, both newcomers and long-time viewers alike, use this forum as an informational reference (a library of sorts), I feel it would be detrimental to the website if any of us remove our previously uploaded pictures of brochures and trucks. I feel as though I've already made a donation of sorts, taking time out during the busy week to make some high quality scans of now rare brochures, both Mack and other. It's been my pleasure to do so, but apparently that ends here. I have to respect the BMT's system, however I choose not to remove any of the downloaded documents that I chose to share with all of you.

So what kind of a up load limit are we talking about? Or what is the "donation amount"???????

Rick

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

As I feel that people, both newcomers and long-time viewers alike, use this forum as an informational reference (a library of sorts), I feel it would be detrimental to the website if any of us remove our previously uploaded pictures of brochures and trucks. I feel as though I've already made a donation of sorts, taking time out during the busy week to make some high quality scans of now rare brochures, both Mack and other. It's been my pleasure to do so, but apparently that ends here. I have to respect the BMT's system, however I choose not to remove any of the downloaded documents that I chose to share with all of you.

I respect your decision not remove the pictures and downloads, as they are invaluable to this Site, its Members, and MACK. I like you don't want to go thru the time and effort to post pictures and downloads and then remove them.

Me personally when the pictures and data are no longer here I am gone. :blush:

FW

Barry didn't state the upload limit, but I humbly suggest the limiting of downloads has more negatives than positives. I'm extremely fortunate to have a vast collection of brochures that many people would enjoy viewing (as much as I do myself). Perhaps just one person in a hundred (if that) that such brochures to share. And it's certainly my pleasure to do so. But I don't want to remove my current brochure posts in order to add more. That's rather defeats the purpose of this superb and informative forum. Together, we're building a knowledge base

• Like 1

Apparently, the upload limit per individual is 10mb. I humbly suggest this system is flawed. I'm terribly fortunate to have a vast collection of brochures. Most people don't, but would enjoy viewing them (as much as I do myself). Perhaps just one person in a hundred (if that) that such brochures to share. And it's certainly my pleasure to do so. But I don't want to remove my current brochure posts in order to add more. That's rather defeats the purpose of this superb and informative forum. Together, we're building a knowledge base.

Agreed!!! My literature alone is 4 full file cabinets that i can not get my fingers into, from the early 1950's on. so to contribute a small monetary donation for the ability to share with all, then it shall be so.

Rick

Richard Mark

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

I'm an information freak and I love to see this stuff. It would truly be a shame if you could not post any more of your brochure collection. The scans have been great quality and I looked forward to seeing new brochures posted.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

Agreed!!! My literature alone is 4 full file cabinets that i can not get my fingers into, from the early 1950's on. so to contribute a small monetary donation for the ability to share with all, then it shall be so.

Rick

So you feel its appropriate to pay money to share rare documents, when you're taking time away from work and going through the effort of scanning your rare brochures (on a commercial machine) and posting them so that other's can enjoy them?

No, I don't think its morally right to have to pay in order to share. I don't expect thanks or compensation, but nor do I expect to have to pay in order to share.

• Like 1

Don't lose sight of the fact the Watts supports this site as a public service to those of us who enjoy sharing information about Mack trucks. It costs money to keep the site up and every post that is stored eats up data storage space so individual posting limits have to be imposed to keep costs down.

Last year Barry started the membership program in an effort to lower the cost to Watts of maintaining the site. Some of us choose to help out, while others do not. That is a personal choice, but don't get upset by the limits if you don't want to help out to keep the site up and running.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

So you feel its appropriate to pay money to share rare documents, when you're taking time away from work and going through the effort of scanning your rare brochures (on a commercial machine) and posting them so that other's can enjoy them?

No, I don't think its morally right to have to pay in order to share. I don't expect thanks or compensation, but nor do I expect to have to pay in order to share.

I don't feel it is appropriate for you or I or anyone else, to have to PAY to the BMT government, so that we can share what we all enjoy, but since in this modern age of cloud servers with unlimited space, at absurdly cheap rates. It seems to me that the BMT in it's unwillingness to look beyond it;s current boundaries has decided that it is far more lucrative and easier to just charge a fee to those who wish to share.

I don't like it, not one little bit, and honestly, if we have to PAY to post more, then in reality shouldn't everyone have to PAY to view, post, chat, download, breathe, live & enjoy old trucks? Perhaps now that i think think about this beyond a passion to share with others, this is no longer the right place to do so. Perhaps since no one pays us to take our time to sort, scan, crop, edit and so on of our collections so that others can enjoy.

In fact, as i sit here & ponder this dilemma, I agree with you 100%, in NO way is it morally correct for us to have to PAY the BMT govt, in order to share. I feel that it is also ethically wrong for only those who wish to share more should have to pay at all on a free to join forum.

Rick

Richard Mark

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

Don't lose sight of the fact the Watts supports this site as a public service to those of us who enjoy sharing information about Mack trucks. It costs money to keep the site up and every post that is stored eats up data storage space so individual posting limits have to be imposed to keep costs down.

Last year Barry started the membership program in an effort to lower the cost to Watts of maintaining the site. Some of us choose to help out, while others do not. That is a personal choice, but don't get upset by the limits if you don't want to help out to keep the site up and running.

Most certainly being that the BMT is a part of the Watt's Mack company, it falls under a tax write off for Watt's, just as any website is for any company. If ONE must pay, then ALL must pay.

RM

Richard Mark

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

I for one, appreciate Barry's hard work and dedication to the site. THANK YOU, Barry! I come here for the informative truck content and pictures and technical information, and if that was all that was on here I would not have a problem with supporting it. However, there is occasional content that does NOT add to the quality and the purpose of this site, and that's what I have a problem with. Oh yes, I can ignore it, and I do, and I have never complained about it. But I cannot support it either.

I also appreciate the quality postings on here by most of the members, especially here lately there have been pictures and information shared that can not be found anywhere else. For those members, THANK YOU.

This too will probably blow over, and life will go on. Just my two cents, now I'll shut up.

• Like 1

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/