Your Mack Off-Highway Truck Line

"The biggest problem with having one as a show truck is that you have to haul it wherever you take it".

No problem, just have the show around the truck!

post-13134-0-68479800-1362184329_thumb.j

• Like 2

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

Were these trucks all rear wheel drive ? ! Or did some come as 6x6 configuration as well ? !

Why did they use Cummins and Detroit power plants ? ! These seemed to peak out at 450-500hp, Couldn't Mack hit those numbers yet ? !

Why NOT just build an Mack diesel just for these trucks ?

They offered them long enough.

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

Were these trucks all rear wheel drive ? ! Or did some come as 6x6 configuration as well ? !

Why did they use Cummins and Detroit power plants ? ! These seemed to peak out at 450-500hp, Couldn't Mack hit those numbers yet ? !

Why NOT just build an Mack diesel just for these trucks ?

They offered them long enough.

Mike

Yes, well almost every one was rear wheel drive only. The exception being the M-404X or Mack-Pack, it was a 4x4 pivot steer,

During the development of the LR series of off highway haulers, and the use of Cummins or DDC power instead of Mack developing new bigger engine all comes down to economics. Since the projected sales of the off highway trucks was & would always be limited, the need to "re-invent the wheel" of big power was simply not cost effective. Thus installing Cummins or DDC power of much larger displacement & horse power (of that time period) made the most sense. Also, please understand that for that time, it was less about the HP of the engine, but rather the torque needed to power thru the planetary axles when hauling the maximum load. Yes, it would seem that the M-series was offered long enough in terms of years, but thet were never produced (or planned to be produced) in the quantities of a B-61.

Keep in mind that when the B model hit the market, the engine, transmission, chassis & running gear had already been in production for many years, and had been constantly improved upon . This is normal for high volume production of any product, trucks or otherwise. The LR & M series were just not a high enough volume to warrant the development of bigger engines & transmissions. Mack did pioneer the development of the Planidrive axle, which started out as the wheel end hub reduction added to the largest of time Mack top load axle as used in the LR's. When the M series appeared, the wheel end hub reduction "planidrive" had been improved with the addition of the all new Mack designed & manufactured off highway axle where the diff was now a front load type.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

Bigge M45

(by the way, I post only pictures I have taken, please feel free to enjoy and share as you like)

Dave,

Super shots of 1 of the 2 M-45SX's in the Bigge fleet. PM-1 & PM-2, both were originally rock trucks, painted red. Both have DDC 16v-71 for power.

Thanks for sharing.

Rick

Richard Mark

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

M series were also built in Oakville, Canada along side of the CL350

Correct, Those had slipped my mind at the time. The CL-350 is a discussion all to it's own. One of my favorites to wear the Mack name.

Rick

• Like 1

Richard Mark

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

Yes, well almost every one was rear wheel drive only. The exception being the M-404X or Mack-Pack, it was a 4x4 pivot steer,

During the development of the LR series of off highway haulers, and the use of Cummins or DDC power instead of Mack developing new bigger engine all comes down to economics. Since the projected sales of the off highway trucks was & would always be limited, the need to "re-invent the wheel" of big power was simply not cost effective. Thus installing Cummins or DDC power of much larger displacement & horse power (of that time period) made the most sense. Also, please understand that for that time, it was less about the HP of the engine, but rather the torque needed to power thru the planetary axles when hauling the maximum load. Yes, it would seem that the M-series was offered long enough in terms of years, but thet were never produced (or planned to be produced) in the quantities of a B-61.

Keep in mind that when the B model hit the market, the engine, transmission, chassis & running gear had already been in production for many years, and had been constantly improved upon . This is normal for high volume production of any product, trucks or otherwise. The LR & M series were just not a high enough volume to warrant the development of bigger engines & transmissions. Mack did pioneer the development of the Planidrive axle, which started out as the wheel end hub reduction added to the largest of time Mack top load axle as used in the LR's. When the M series appeared, the wheel end hub reduction "planidrive" had been improved with the addition of the all new Mack designed & manufactured off highway axle where the diff was now a front load type.

Hope this helps,

Rick

I drove an old Euclid at a quarry for a short while, first job I had when I graduated from high school in 1974, and it had a 4-71 in it. I just hauled rock from the quarry up to the crusher. It had a 10 speed transmission in it, like a duplex, but you never needed but 2 gears, take off in 1st. low and shift to second low and hold it wide open up out of the quarry. Go dump and do it again...and again...and again. Every once in a while i'd get up to 3rd. gear going back down the hill. It was slow, but it got the job done.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I drove an old Euclid at a quarry for a short while, first job I had when I graduated from high school in 1974, and it had a 4-71 in it. I just hauled rock from the quarry up to the crusher. It had a 10 speed transmission in it, like a duplex, but you never needed but 2 gears, take off in 1st. low and shift to second low and hold it wide open up out of the quarry. Go dump and do it again...and again...and again. Every once in a while i'd get up to 3rd. gear going back down the hill. It was slow, but it got the job done.

AHHH That would have been a 10UD, small cab, able to carry 10 ton or so.

Rick

Richard Mark

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

AHHH That would have been a 10UD, small cab, able to carry 10 ton or so.

Rick

I had no idea. It was very small by today's standards though, wish i'd known what a camera was back then.

I just did a google image search for Euclid trucks, and this looked most like what I remember. The one I drove had the stack coming through the hood- no muffler,just a straight pipe,about 2 feets tall.

post-1374-0-70436300-1362259435_thumb.jp

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I had no idea. It was very small by today's standards though, wish i'd known what a camera was back then.

I just did a google image search for Euclid trucks, and this looked most like what I remember. The one I drove had the stack coming through the hood- no muffler,just a straight pipe,about 2 feets tall.

attachicon.gifEuc55.jpg

Yep, that is all UD, little 10 toner.

• Like 1

Richard Mark

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

Didn't you hear ? Chrysler did fail ! They are now OWN by Fiat-USA ;o)

Yep 65% Fiat / 35% UAW / Chrysler 0%

Chrysler/Dodge/Ram all just name plates now, Well since the 2011 actually. Fiat started buying them up in 2009 by 2011 they owned all of Chrysler's shares and a few of the UAW's ;o)

Not that I give 2 shits about Chrysler, They have been a failure since 1928 were it was founded on the ashes of the tanked maxwell company ! ! !

Yep Maxwell a product of good ol'Walter P Chrysler . . .

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

Now as for Mack they seem to be doing OK today, Still being ran as separate operation their still a registered trade mark and copy write of Mack Trucks INC NOT AB-Volvo.

If they weren't the Copy writes would read "AB-Volvo" NOT "Mack trucks inc"

Now be all of that as it may, I think your pointing the wrong finger here, These mining trucks ? Long gone by 2000 much less 2002 when Volvo bought Mack.

So I think you need to blame Renault ! Actually, Notice Renault also did in American Motors as well ! !

So they are on my HATE list for what they did to both Mack and AMC ! ! !

Renault sold their 49% of AMC to Chrysler, Chrysler merged the remaining 51% and shut them down stealing Jeep !

Now Mack seems more difficult, There must be still Mack ownership of Mack other wise why would Volvo keep the brand running as a separate company ? Much less spinning Mack Defense LLC off as its own separate operation too ? ?

Mack still seems more Mack than Chrysler is Mopar lol lots of "New" Chrysler products seem to be rebadged Fiat/Ferrari/Maserati . . . Alfa too ?

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.