Macks powered by other engine manufacturers

607t1173

I don't know if any of these made it to the Mack line or any other truck maker as I have never saw any or heard of them . This is from a 1942 Caterpillar Product line brochure.

Interesting.

attachicon.gifphoto (87).JPG attachicon.gifphoto (89).JPG

My father, two brothers and I set up a hand set sawmill and powered it with a Cat D 4600 like this from 1969- 1988,We moved the mill and I repowered it with a NH 230 Cummins 1992- present.

The good thing about the Cat engines they can run continuesly under full load, and many of this model were found in swing shovels and cranes. etc. That engine was no ball of fire.

attachicon.gifphoto (90).JPG

FW

I've got one that I removed from a gen set with very low hours. I've got several older low hour engines that I removed from gen sets that I have bought thru the years,

Got one diesel that was manufactured by the White Motor Co. It's the only one that I have ever seen. :bulldog3:

i know my grandfather had a '65 R410 with a wedgeblock 413 and 18 speed baby quad and 44 rears on camelback. compared to the B42's everyone said it was an animal. when we bought my B613 it had a 413 wedgeblock someone put in it. i still have it on a stand on the garage floor. its brand new with 100 miles on it. Keith.... i forget his name has a really nice R410P. least he did. i sold him the 5 speed and 3 speed auxillary out of my B613 to put in his R model. there is an R410 that shows up at Balston spa everyone once ina while to, its pristine. the same guy owns the decked out B model wrecker he bought at the National truck show auction a few years back i think in south bend. my B475 firetruck has a 354 Hemi in it with i think a clark or spicer transmission and rockwell rear end. have opened up the hood on a few B and early R models and found 318 road oilers stuffed in there to. Mack also put the POS 475 scania in some early R and DM models. BTW whats up with the plate under the bulldog mount on that R with the Road oiler in it???

I was wondering if anyone caught on to the fact that a 413 was a Wedge and not a Hemi.

I had a 426 Hemi with dual 4's in a Charger in '69 so I use to be somewhat familiar with Hemi's .

But I was a" Mack Nut" even then,(that was the year I got out of the Army and bought my first Mack) and I haven't owned a Hemi since 71 but I've still got my passion for Macks though.

:bulldog3:

The 413 had 4 bolt mains and I'm pretty sure that's what you were referring to,cause rod bolts can't be bolted to the block. The 413 hotrod engine was equipped with the legendary Cross Ram manifold and was quite formidable and was an excellent drag engine. I think this engine was introduced in '59 but I'm not sure but I believe Mack started making them available in '66.

Industrial engines are typically different than the same engine in an automotive (hot rod) application. The IND engines albeit the same displacement my use a beefed up block and other engine components. They are made to put out power for many hours. Also usually rated at a lower RPM (less HP but more torque). FWIW, the 426 HEMI was originally designed for Daytona and go 501 miles.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The 413 had 4 bolt mains and I'm pretty sure that's what you were referring to,cause rod bolts can't be bolted to the block. The 413 hotrod engine was equipped with the legendary Cross Ram manifold and was quite formidable and was an excellent drag engine. I think this engine was introduced in '59 but I'm not sure but I believe Mack started making them available in '66.

The Mopar Sono Ram came out in 1959 on the 361 / 383 tall deck, by the time the 413 was introduced in 1963 there were 2 version of the Sono Ram a short ram and a long ram. The 2 Max Wedges I have are 426 stage II and Stage III engines with Mopar Cross Rams. The industrial Wedges have a Forged Crank (good for hot rods) small port heads and small port exhaust manifolds for low end torque and industrial dished low compression pistons. The 383 h.o. and 413 have cross bolted main caps... 2 bolts in from bottom of cap and 2 bolts through side of block like Ford FE motors 426 wedges are 4 bolt mains in a short skirted bolck.

About the Allis Chalmers Big Als, I got after 3 years of negotiating, a 450 H.P. AC powered AutoCar DC that will be coming home is April.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

About the Allis Chalmers Big Als, I got after 3 years of negotiating, a 450 H.P. AC powered AutoCar DC that will be coming home is April.

Hey Paul! That is excellent news! You will be the only kid on the block with a Big Al.

We do expect pictures.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Never heard of a White diesel. They made an engine called a giesel for a short time. I believe it was just a gas engine with heavy components

The giesel was a engine built v6 or v8 cummins sold to white motor co back in the late 60s. They modifide it to burn gas for mid range trucks.I have worked on a few of them before gas burners when by the way side.

glenn akers

The Mopar Sono Ram came out in 1959 on the 361 / 383 tall deck, by the time the 413 was introduced in 1963 there were 2 version of the Sono Ram a short ram and a long ram. The 2 Max Wedges I have are 426 stage II and Stage III engines with Mopar Cross Rams. The industrial Wedges have a Forged Crank (good for hot rods) small port heads and small port exhaust manifolds for low end torque and industrial dished low compression pistons. The 383 h.o. and 413 have cross bolted main caps... 2 bolts in from bottom of cap and 2 bolts through side of block like Ford FE motors 426 wedges are 4 bolt mains in a short skirted bolck.

Glad to hear you landed the A-Car Paul! i still haven't found out the fate of that AC powered Freightliner C.O.E. up in Jersey for sure,i sent my brother to investigate,but he does'nt know a White-Freightliner C.O.E from a ladies handbag! (not "into" trucks) next time i get up that way and have the time i will check on it myself.........................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

guess im not that stupid and the main bolts WERE thru the side of the block. on the industrial version they did NOT have the extra bolts thru the side of the block. i have a brand new 413 on my garage floor that came out of my B42 thats an industrial 413 with 2 barrel intake and adapter plate for a TRQ77 series transmission. also have a 354 Hemi industrail thats in my B model firetruck, 2 barrel strongburg, runs like a top.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

guess im not that stupid and the main bolts WERE thru the side of the block. on the industrial version they did NOT have the extra bolts thru the side of the block. i have a brand new 413 on my garage floor that came out of my B42 thats an industrial 413 with 2 barrel intake and adapter plate for a TRQ77 series transmission. also have a 354 Hemi industrail thats in my B model firetruck, 2 barrel strongburg, runs like a top.

Yup, only the performance blocks had the cross bolted mains.

Weren't LANOVA Diesels also available in the late 30's 40's Macks?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Weren't LANOVA Diesels also available in the late 30's 40's Macks?

The Lanova's I think you're refering to were Mack engines. 'Lanova' is the name/style/type of the combustion chamber used in these 'Mack' engines.

That's how you get a 'Mack-Lanova'. I think the last Mack Lanova was the END-672, then the next engine was the END-673, which was a 'Direct-Injection' combustion chamber.

ISTBC

the 413 wedge in the R models was the industrial version tho. i think the hotrod car and truck version has extra rod bolts that actually went thu the block into the mains?? someone here probably knows.

Sorry, I guess that I must've concentrated more on the term rod bolts, which I took to be part of the reciprocating assembly . I guess I'd never heard rod bolt used in relation to the block and only when referring to the rods.

The Lanova's I think you're refering to were Mack engines. 'Lanova' is the name/style/type of the combustion chamber used in these 'Mack' engines.

That's how you get a 'Mack-Lanova'. I think the last Mack Lanova was the END-672, then the next engine was the END-673, which was a 'Direct-Injection' combustion chamber.

ISTBC

Just read their history, very interesting They did make complete engines in the early 30's and than just the heads with their pre combustion chamber for about a dozen diesel engine firms in Europe and the U.S. Thanks for your info. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE