Macks powered by other engine manufacturers

607t1173

The 450 horsepower 13.8 liter "Big Al" engine was an impressive offering, and Allis-Chalmers engines were indeed an available Mack factory option for a time. I have a little info on them.

Cool I've heard about the Purple People Eater before, never seen too many, but heard they were very strong in the day. Boones Express out of Clawson Mich featured in that article is still in bussiness. I have a friend who is a broker for them. He'll love to see that article. I seen one of those R 410 a few years ago close to home, but we didn't get to it in time. The idiot cut it up for scrap.

My Dad has had a hard on for an Allis motor as long as I can remember. He grew up on Rt.59 north of West Chicago IL and loved to hear those Allis powered Western F's spool up after stopping for him to get off the bus. He says he is done building trucks but, I know if he found an Allis motor, he would be building a truck for it. -Brad

I think Doug Maney had a gas job R in his kennel for awhile? Anyway,here's some pics of that RARE '72 A-C powered FS (sorry FW,not FL) that was on ebay a few years back,Superdog! 72 FS A-C 475 1.bmp 72 FS A-C 475 2.bmp 72 FS A-C 475 3.bmp 72 FS A-C 475 4.bmp 72 FS A-C 475 4.bmp 72 FS A-C 475.bmp

Wow that thing is sweet. How many of them were made? And to get this straight it was Allis-Chalmers powered?

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Wow that thing is sweet. How many of them were made? And to get this straight it was Allis-Chalmers powered?

I don't know.Couldn't be too many,for sure.This one had to be about the last one in captivity!Yes it was A-C powered,from the factory.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

i know my grandfather had a '65 R410 with a wedgeblock 413 and 18 speed baby quad and 44 rears on camelback. compared to the B42's everyone said it was an animal. when we bought my B613 it had a 413 wedgeblock someone put in it. i still have it on a stand on the garage floor. its brand new with 100 miles on it. Keith.... i forget his name has a really nice R410P. least he did. i sold him the 5 speed and 3 speed auxillary out of my B613 to put in his R model. there is an R410 that shows up at Balston spa everyone once ina while to, its pristine. the same guy owns the decked out B model wrecker he bought at the National truck show auction a few years back i think in south bend. my B475 firetruck has a 354 Hemi in it with i think a clark or spicer transmission and rockwell rear end. have opened up the hood on a few B and early R models and found 318 road oilers stuffed in there to. Mack also put the POS 475 scania in some early R and DM models. BTW whats up with the plate under the bulldog mount on that R with the Road oiler in it???

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

i know my grandfather had a '65 R410 with a wedgeblock 413 and 18 speed baby quad and 44 rears on camelback. compared to the B42's everyone said it was an animal. when we bought my B613 it had a 413 wedgeblock someone put in it. i still have it on a stand on the garage floor. its brand new with 100 miles on it. Keith.... i forget his name has a really nice R410P. least he did. i sold him the 5 speed and 3 speed auxillary out of my B613 to put in his R model. there is an R410 that shows up at Balston spa everyone once ina while to, its pristine. the same guy owns the decked out B model wrecker he bought at the National truck show auction a few years back i think in south bend. my B475 firetruck has a 354 Hemi in it with i think a clark or spicer transmission and rockwell rear end. have opened up the hood on a few B and early R models and found 318 road oilers stuffed in there to. Mack also put the POS 475 scania in some early R and DM models. BTW whats up with the plate under the bulldog mount on that R with the Road oiler in it???

Radiator cap access door,a rare option on the Western's.

Radiator cap access door,a rare option on the Western's.

I recall the handful of late production Mack-powered R models that Roadway bought had radiator access doors installed on the fiberglass hoods. Mack bent over backwards to get some meaningful orders from Roadway, but it never worked out as it had at Overnite for so many years.

With the termination of F-model production, Overnite tested several daycab 1983 Macungie-built Cruise-Liners. In the end, they went with R-models. But from 1987 when the Mack-biased Harwood Cochrane sold Overnite, the transport company began experimenting with other brands.

post-5381-0-33730400-1361943205_thumb.jp

I don't know if any of these made it to the Mack line or any other truck maker as I have never saw any or heard of them . This is from a 1942 Caterpillar Product line brochure.

Interesting.

post-146-0-58036600-1361971969_thumb.jpg post-146-0-13841300-1361971993_thumb.jpg

My father, two brothers and I set up a hand set sawmill and powered it with a Cat D 4600 like this from 1969- 1988,We moved the mill and I repowered it with a NH 230 Cummins 1992- present.

The good thing about the Cat engines they can run continuesly under full load, and many of this model were found in swing shovels and cranes. etc. That engine was no ball of fire.

post-146-0-53874100-1361972019_thumb.jpg

FW

My cousin owned this RL-700 wrecker,it was a glider kit with a 318 Road-oiler / Boat anchor in it.........................................Mark

My 72 R 700 has DD power, never tried to put it in the water to see if it floats, the oil slick might be a bit to much. Boats do need an anchor. :whistling:

I like GM diesels,

FW

My 72 R 700 has DD power, never tried to put it in the water to see if it floats, the oil slick might be a bit to much. Boats do need an anchor. :whistling:

I like GM diesels,

FW

Seems to me there was alot of R-700's around here with 8V-71's in 'em,also.Celli Trucking Co. was one outfit that had some.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA