When Scania trucks roamed North America

kscarbel

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello everyone, i am new member here i am from one small country from europe, i am scania enthusiast i like older scania products (especially series 2 and 3) i grow up with those trucks. i am not kind of average scania fan who only talk about straight pipe and v8 , i think they are annoying , i like 11L engines same as v8 , i like their smoothness, these days all scania engines get rough sound.

i want to thank for topic especially to kscarbel, i came to this forum mostly because this topic, i learn some things i did not know about scania in US, i have plan next year to visit Thelmo Abreu´s shop in Newark NJ.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys :)

Interesting reading here.

Irish guy here. I drive a 2013 Scania R620 Topline. I was just looking at the Mack website and they all seem to have smallish engines/power. What is the max weight which you haul over there?

Here in Ireland we can carry gross weights up to 46,000kgs(101.413LBS) . Roughly a payload of 30,000kgs. This is using a 3 axle twin steer truck + 3 axle trailer with super single tyres.

You see, european trucks are small in every way compared to the US trucks, this is mainly because the country roads and towns are very small.

Another question: Fuel economy of the average Highway semi in USA? Roughly 8.6 - 8.9mpg here, this would be a combination of 30% hills and 6% flat road + 5% down :).

Will

• Like 1

Hi Guys :)

Interesting reading here.

Irish guy here. I drive a 2013 Scania R620 Topline. I was just looking at the Mack website and they all seem to have smallish engines/power. What is the max weight which you haul over there?

Here in Ireland we can carry gross weights up to 46,000kgs(101.413LBS) . Roughly a payload of 30,000kgs. This is using a 3 axle twin steer truck + 3 axle trailer with super single tyres.

You see, european trucks are small in every way compared to the US trucks, this is mainly because the country roads and towns are very small.

Another question: Fuel economy of the average Highway semi in USA? Roughly 8.6 - 8.9mpg here, this would be a combination of 30% hills and 6% flat road + 5% down :).

Will

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Scania. The R620 Topline V-8 is a nice truck.The former Mack Trucks developed and produced their V-8s with Scania for many years to share economy of scale.

In the US, 4x2 tractors are now typically used for regional hauling (UPS) and local delivery. Years ago, the house movers ran 4x2 tractors but now most have switched to 6x4s.

The typical tractor-trailer is a 6x4 with a 2-axle trailer. The maximum gross weight allowed with that configuration is 80,000 pounds (36,287kg), and that ability depends on the length.

The limited GVW in America is rediculous. To increase haulage efficiency in America, the government needs to raise allowed gross weight for tractor-trailers to at least 40 metric tons (88,000lb), and allow 44 tons (97,000lb) with air suspension and tri-axle trailers.

6x2 tractors have never caught on here. Volvo introduced it years ago (liftable tag axle) and it flopped. Recently, they are trying again. It does make sense for the weight-sensitive petroleum haulers.

The compact 6x2 twin-steer tractors in the UK (steerable pusher axles) are an impressive piece of engineering. But of course the wheelbases of the European mainland tractors are longer.

The federal US weight limit is 80,000lbs. Many states allow 110,000lbs. There has been legislation offered in the US congress to raise the national limit to 97,000lbs. Many truck carriers would be happy with 150,000lbs limit. With the current condition of US roads, bridges and tunnels, I would suggest that they worry about fixing the national infrastructure first before they caterer to the trucking lobby.

• 2 months later...

I read somewhere that MAN of Germany and Scania have some relationship. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks.

Volkswagen owns a controlling interest now in both MAN and Scania. Interestingly, both truckmakers are resisting VW's attempts to force the two truckmakers into component cooperation. As these two truckmakers are extremely different, both in company culture and design philosophy, it wouldn't work. VW fails to grasp that.

Before VW got into the picture, MAN and Scania had investigated the viability of synergies when former Scania man Hakan Samuelsson ran MAN (2000-2009). But no means for significant cost savings were found and the plan was terminated.