When Scania trucks roamed North America

kscarbel

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2013 at 6:54 PM, kscarbel said:

The Scania DS8 (Mack ET477 / E4-210) was a 6-cylinder engine. When spec'd for the application it was intended, it performed superbly as it should. Morgan Millwork ran them in a fleet of R-487P box trucks on the east coast and was very pleased.

However, whenever the 6-cylinder Scania engine was spec'd to get the sell price down in an application that actually needed a 6-cylinder, naturally like any overworked engine, it didn't meet expectations. I recall a municipal-owned 6x4 MB front-end loader garbage that blew up every 2 years. That was to be expected (and that truck should have never been built).

Hi from the UK, your information is incorrect. The DS8 Scania engine was a 6 cylinder (the 8 denotes the litre capacity ie 8000cc) they were a very reliable unit but were only around 170hp similar to the Mack 673. It was used in road trucks but also very succesfully in Moxy off road dumpers. Geoff Makinson R773

Hi from the UK, your information is incorrect. The DS8 Scania engine was a 6 cylinder (the 8 denotes the litre capacity ie 8000cc) they were a very reliable unit but were only around 170hp similar to the Mack 673. It was used in road trucks but also very succesfully in Moxy off road dumpers. Geoff Makinson R773

My friend, sorry for the typo. I fixed my original post.

And for those interested, Scania replaced the DS8 in 1985 with the new 245-275 horsepower 8.5L (519 cu.in.) DS/DSC9 6-cylinder engine featuring individual cylinder heads, a Bosch P7100 pump and other upgrades. However Mack decided not to purchase this new engine.

Instead, Mack introduced the 4VH EM6-225L (1750rpm), the successor to the 2VH EM6-225R (1700rpm). The 2VH EM6-225 (2100rpm) and conventional torque rise 2VH E6-200 (for multi-speed and automatic transmissions) had been in that power range as well.

I personally would have preferred a 225-275 horsepower Mack-Scania engine in an 8.5-liter displacement, rather than a de-rated 11 liter (672 cu.in.) engine.

6jdqb4.jpg

I took this photo in Indianapolis in the early 1990s. Indianapolis Mack was the Scania and Iveco dealership for central Indiana.

This unit worked for Hole-In-One Donuts. They hauled restaurant provisions from Indiana to Florida. They also owned another Scania. It was a straight truck van.

The driver of this tractor said he loved the ride. He really gushed about the synchromesh transmission, which was unavailable on any American truck. The one complaint he had was that it was sluggish up the mountains down I-75 and I-65 in Kentucky and Tennessee. Scania didn't offer an intercooler on it's American spec diesels. This might of boosted the horsepower on it's engines.

Scania still sells trucks in Mexico. Scanias can be scene along the boarder towns of Arizona and Texas and a few miles in to the USA.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2013 at 2:19 PM, chuckyr said:

chuckyr, on 10 Apr 2013 - 14:11, said:

Scania didn't offer an intercooler on it's American spec diesels.

Scania still sells trucks in Mexico. Scanias can be scene along the boarder towns of Arizona and Texas and a few miles in to the USA.

You're absolutely right. Scania is very popular in South America with a long time plant in Brazil. In fact the US and Canada are the only global regions where Scania is not represented. From Ireland to Moscow to Malaysia to South Africa, Scania is everywhere.

But the U.S. market Scanias did indeed have an intercooler. These were DSC11s, "C" meaning intercooled. The DSC/DTC engines of the time went up to 400 horsepower, and the V-8 was available up to 500hp..

A friend recently purchased a CF fire truck with a Pierce body that was one of the last CF cabs made by Mack. He tells me that it is equipped with a Scania engine. I had no idea that Mack ever used Scania engines in the CF chassis. Is this a "one off" or are there others out there?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

You're absolutely right. Scania is very popular in South America with a long time plant in Brazil. In fact the US and Canada are the only global regions where Scania is not represented. From Ireland to Moscow to Malaysia to South Africa, Scania is everywhere.

But the U.S. market Scanias did indeed have an intercooler. These were DSC11s, "C" meaning intercooled. The DSC/DTC engines of the time went up to 400 horsepower, and the V-8 was available up to 500hp..

Mind you, the USA and Canada are the number 1 truck markets in the world!

Mind you, the USA and Canada are the number 1 truck markets in the world!

Au contraire Pierre, China is by far the largest truck market in the world now.

U.S. 2012 class 8 truck sales were 194,715.

U.S. 2012 class 7 truck sales were 46,854.

Total: 241,569

Meanwhile, Chinese truckmakers from 2010 have been producing a total of 600,000 to 800,000 class 7 and 8 trucks annually.

A friend recently purchased a CF fire truck with a Pierce body that was one of the last CF cabs made by Mack. He tells me that it is equipped with a Scania engine. I had no idea that Mack ever used Scania engines in the CF chassis. Is this a "one off" or are there others out there?

You'd better double check what he said. Mack did build MB-487F, MC-487F and R-487F fire apparatus with Scania power. But not a Scania-powered CF according to production records.The last CFs were built in 1990, and the final Mack-Scania engine model (E4-210) was no longer available at that time.

You'd better double check what he said. Mack did build MB-487F, MC-487F and R-487F fire apparatus with Scania power. But not a Scania-powered CF according to production records.The last CFs were built in 1990, and the final Mack-Scania engine model (E4-210) was no longer available at that time.

I was kind of skeptical, but he is insistents it has a "swedish engine". I have not seen the truck yet, but I'm going to try to get the chassis number from him. I'll find the picture he sent me and post it here.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

A friends scania. This truck gets used daily, it is a pretty good truck. The only thing that stinks is the 62 mph top speed. The air clutch is a little hard to get used to, I only drive it once in a blue moon. Plus, I can never figure out what the switches do, they are very odd looking.

post-13746-0-56318000-1366166601_thumb.j

A friends scania. This truck gets used daily, it is a pretty good truck. The only thing that stinks is the 62 mph top speed. The air clutch is a little hard to get used to, I only drive it once in a blue moon. Plus, I can never figure out what the switches do, they are very odd looking.

Thanks for the post. An 1985-87 vintage Scania “2-series” (2nd generation) with an 11-liter DSC11 (probably the 308hp for this vocational application), still in operation in year 2013 over 26 years later.

Scania trucks provide customers with high productivity trucks offering low fuel consumption and maintenance costs. They're arguably the finest heavy trucks engineered today.

post-5381-0-97259100-1366360503_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...

Some recent pics from 2011 fully decked-out.

They certainly have a unique sound to them.......almost like a V8 Mack. :D

post-13134-0-03875500-1374811694_thumb.j

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

On 7/26/2013 at 0:09 PM, Chuck P said:

Some recent pics from 2011 fully decked-out.

They certainly have a unique sound to them.......almost like a V8 Mack. :D

They sound almost like a Mack because they essentially are the same engine. The Scania version's individual cylinder heads, different manifolds and muffling create a slightly different resonance.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jzgfbwL9_cQ

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fGHPlHOVdWg

I spent many years running COE & conventional Scanias on overnight express linehaul work in Australia. Most of these were 450hp V8's.

Fine trucks with very few vices. Our only complaint about them was the lack of an engine brake. Scania now has a very good hydraulic retarder mounted in the transmission that makes a Jake brake totally redundant.

That said, the only thing, apart from regular maintenance, was brake-lining replacement which was a result of the above.

If you get the opportunity to get a look inside a Mack V8 & the Scania side by side, you'll see some surprising similarities. In fact, according to my sources, Scania was contracted by Mack, to sort out some of the crankcase issues Mack V8's were suffering. Nice things like cracked main-bearing support webs & persistent breaking of main-bearing cap buttress bolts which leads to spun bearings etc. Some of these issues were the direct result of long steep grades at maximum revs on the engine brake in the high country in Tasmania.

Mick.

I spent many years running COE & conventional Scanias on overnight express linehaul work in Australia. Most of these were 450hp V8's.

Fine trucks with very few vices. Our only complaint about them was the lack of an engine brake. Scania now has a very good hydraulic retarder mounted in the transmission that makes a Jake brake totally redundant.

That said, the only thing, apart from regular maintenance, was brake-lining replacement which was a result of the above.

If you get the opportunity to get a look inside a Mack V8 & the Scania side by side, you'll see some surprising similarities. In fact, according to my sources, Scania was contracted by Mack, to sort out some of the crankcase issues Mack V8's were suffering. Nice things like cracked main-bearing support webs & persistent breaking of main-bearing cap buttress bolts which leads to spun bearings etc. Some of these issues were the direct result of long steep grades at maximum revs on the engine brake in the high country in Tasmania.

Mick.

Scania never went with an engine brake because they have designed what is arguably the finest exhaust brake in the world. It even has earned respect from Jacobs.

But having said that, for those needing additional stopping power, the superb self-designed Scania retarder, integrally direct-mounted to the rear of the transmission, has been available from Scania for 20 years (since 1993) as an option and capable of bringing the world to a halt.

Scania Retarder interacts with the cruise control, exhaust brake and wheel brakes to provide total speed control at the touch of a button or a dab on the brake pedal.

Completely integrated with the cruise control, as well as with the service brakes and exhaust brake when cruising, a vehicle with the Scania Retarder provides automatic speed control up and down the hills.

Retarder braking is either initiated with a dab on the brake pedal or controlled manually with the lever on the steering column.The gap between cruising speed and downhill speed can be set in small steps using a button on the steering wheel.

When set to work automatically with the exhaust brake and the service brakes, service brake applications are reduced by up to 75 per cent and brake wear minimised.

post-5381-0-62655700-1375060358_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-03072600-1375060396_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-25794500-1375060410_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-70223600-1375060423_thumb.jp

• Like 1