Montfort Lane

storkmack

If you were driving a Mack In '73 chances are the Monfort lane was foreign territory to you.

HA,HA! You got to NYC too,just not as soon as those guys did!

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Dad pissed off alot of the "big boys" with his '72 V8 F model,especially in the hills.

I've had V 8's and I've also had 1693TA's and I loved the sound of the V8 but I really loved the torque and pulling power of the 1693, just not the 3/12 to 4 MPG

.I remember an old man(or so I thought at the time) from Pa., who had the best running V8 equipped F Model that I'd ever encountered, so I kept track of it and bought it from him when he retired. Although with the right driver(it had a triplex) it could run & hide from 335's 350's and most other engines of that era it couldn't pull with my 1693 TA when we got into the mountains

I remember in the early seventies when all I could do in my F models was say"WOW" when those Monfort (Circus Wagons) blew by me. :bulldog3:

Think by the mid 70s Mack lost out in big parts of the O/O market. Even when they tried to get in out west with the big V8 they were still making mostly 62MPH trucks with small cabs . The maxidyne and R cab was and still is great for Construction,east coast and midwest but when a big cat or cummins could get you over the hills faster mack needed to stay on par with other truck engine mfg. To bad because they made one of the best trucks and still do but when drivers wanted cab space and HP mack dropped the ball...

i'm pretty sure they new what they were doing in the '70's,they had the 865 and 866,plus any other engine made by Cat,Cummins and Detroit.The F model was about the best cabover to drive as anyone ever built,the 86" cab was pretty much standard with every other COE built at the time.The big bunk trucks were staring to appear,but were very few and far between because of the length laws at the time.The R model had just as much cab space as a 359 or W900,but the conventionals weren't near as numerous back then either because of the length laws.When I was a kid riding out west with Dad,95% of the trucks running the interstate were single bunk COES.Plus,the owner operator market wasn't near as big in the '70's as it has been since deregualtion.Mack had a huge market share in the '70's because of fleets like UPS,Roadway,Overnite,Matlack,Smith,Garret,Mushroom,etc.,they all loved the Maxidyne,and the F,R,and U models,but deregulation killed most of them off.

That pretty much sums it up. -Brad

• Like 1

I remember in the early seventies when all I could do in my F models was say"WOW" when those Monfort (Circus Wagons) blew by me. :bulldog3:

And WOW again later that day when the same truck passed you heading the other way on it's second Denver-Hunts Point trip of the week.

I read an article recently and the subject was a Monfort W900 with a 425 Cat and an Allison. That particular team deadheaded from NYC to Chicago for a load west but often times they would run empty all the way home to grab that second eastbound load. The article might be in one of those Overdrive scans. I'll look for it this weekend if I get a chance. I'd do it now but the sun is coming up and me lids are gettin' heavy.

Jim

I remember as a Kid all the Local trucks Dump, flat bed, tanker, etc were Mack and all the nice over the road trucks were KW, Pete, FL.

always wondered why until I spent a full day sitting shot gun in a R model cab and later in a big KW with a big bunk. that KW had alot more room, at least it seamed that way.