AUTOMATIC TO STANDARD

luigiestrada

Agreed, the Allisons are bulletproof, seen them run dry and still survive. I'm still leary of the Volvo mDrive though- read some comments on an Aussie forum the other day reporting that Volvo is rebuilding a lot of them under warranty at around the million kilometer mark, Maxitorques are usually good for at least a million MILES!

The first modern day automatic/automated transmission I drove was an Eaton Ultrashift and it was horrible. Aside from the slow maneuvering issues I've mentioned, it seemed to get cofused and not know what gear to be in if I were to slow down and speed up again without stopping, like when turning or when a traffic light turns green while slowing down.

We have an Allison in an '05 vision that I've driven once and liked and Have also driven a few Pinnacles with Mdrive's and though they worked well also. It's too soon to tell if the Mdrive's will have the same issues as Volvo's Idrive since ours do not yet have 100,000 miles on them. They have a 750,000 mile warranty.

Jim

This females been driving manuals since the 60s, didn't have a truck with power steering 'til '92 and automatic 'til '96.

It wasn't my intention to open a discussion on gender based skills relating to operating various types of transmissions.

It's always been my belief that when determining qualifications for a particular job, it's what's between a person's ears that counts, not what's between their legs.

I just firmly believe (and always will) that a manual transmission with the proper ratios for the application is the best setup for a class 8 truck.

• Like 1

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"