B Model Questions

Vinton is bout 20 miles north of Gallipolis. I live 4 miles north of Vinton on Ignorant Ridge. A lot of maps don't show Vinton.

Now, the ball is in your court - where is Gladys, VA? It don't show on map either. I grew up in VA but theres still bunch places there I ain't heard of.

Tom

I've been through Gallipolis many times,used to run rt. 35 pretty often. I've seen signs for Vinton. Gladys is about 20 miles south of Lynchburg on rt. 501,between Rustburg and Brookneal.I don't live downtown though (actually,there's one store and a post office in Gladys and that's about it ) .I live off of rt. 699 on a smaller road,about halfway between Gladys and Altavista.Kind've like 'MIDDLE OF NOWHERE",surrounded by forests,woods,and trees.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

:lol::lol::lol::loldude::loldude:

As long as the attack includes A Slow race & weight sled compition ;)

later yall

:mack1:

it would definately be a slow process if I walked to Tennesee. Wouldn't be a lot faster if I drove that cement mixer out there,using it as a troop carrier.I'D have to leave somebody behind,and besides they'd probably put me out of service at the scales just west of Knoxville,so i'm just gonna forget the whole idea. I'd be running about 53 mph wide open in a 70 mph zone anyway,and that's on the downhill side.That's why I drive it in parades,it's the only time I can keep up with the rest of the traffic. I bet it would be competitive in a slow drag race though.

it would definately be a slow process if I walked to Tennesee. Wouldn't be a lot faster if I drove that cement mixer out there,using it as a troop carrier.I'D have to leave somebody behind,and besides they'd probably put me out of service at the scales just west of Knoxville,so i'm just gonna forget the whole idea. I'd be running about 53 mph wide open in a 70 mph zone anyway,and that's on the downhill side.That's why I drive it in parades,it's the only time I can keep up with the rest of the traffic. I bet it would be competitive in a slow drag race though.

ya "olddog" dosent run but 49mph to 50mph i bet he be hell in a in slow race too W/ A 6:14 Ratio r/a

I remember when i was growing up riding in olddog before DOT was bad on a Single axle carrying alot of weight & we had to go to a tandem tractor my granddad great uncle & dad was driving & i know he will pull 1200 bushels of soybeans & Wheat & a D7G LGP Cat dozer & 225 Cat trackhoe & 955L Cat loader w/o any problems & the ole 711 will bark & growl & sound sweet pulling the hills coming out of the river bottom land around here ;):thumb::DB)

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Vinton is bout 20 miles north of Gallipolis. I live 4 miles north of Vinton on Ignorant Ridge. A lot of maps don't show Vinton.

Now, the ball is in your court - where is Gladys, VA? It don't show on map either. I grew up in VA but theres still bunch places there I ain't heard of.

Tom

Its right here.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 2 months later...

Finally an update. I realize it's been awhile since I asked this question, but after trying every way in the world to find out any kind of info on this truck I finally got a few names and phone numbers. The truck is setting above the electric department here in town and when I was leaving from paying my bill I saw somebody going onto the property. Of course I walked up there and talked with the folks for a few minutes and the lady told me it was her uncles property and gave me his phone #. Took a few days to get ahold of somebody, but they rent the property to another man which is the one that ownes the truck. They are going to contact him today so he can contact me. Took me 4 months to get this far. Just hoping it's for sale and not like the f model i looked at a few weeks ago for 8,000 dollars. Guy admitted the f-model hadn't been started in atleast 12 years, but assured me it was in top notch condition, but again admitting it would probably need some work just to get started. Thanks for the patience guys and the useful info suggested. Thanks Joe

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

well good luck with that unit Joe,I hope it's for sale and the owner was just waiting for the right buyer to come along and give it a good home and he'll sell it to you so cheap you'll think you stole it.

Thanks Otherdog. I had give up on this truck and have found another one, but this one is closer to me and won't need as much work as the other one. I hope he sells it cheap, and I hope it'll run. Not being greedy, but I'm not made of money too. How's the mixer?

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Yeah,I fully understand that not being made of money thing. I haven't even started the mixer in a while...not since the Christmas parade I think. I was going to start it yesterday and dump the water,but had to go to Petersburg to load and it was dark when I got back and I never did.

Well..........like mentioned it could have a choice of three different trannys. Duplex(10 spd), triplex(15 spd), Quad(20 spd). Is there a tag above winshield(in center) that shows shift pattern. It should unless someone removed it, or tranny was changed. Try shifting both levers and see what kind of pattern each has.

The Duplex will have the right stick only move forward/back(compound) and the left stick will be 5 spd.

The Triplex and Quad box will have left stick(compound) either 3 or 4 spds and right stick will be 5 spd.

The extra splitter on handle could be PTO control? or tailgate control? Two speed axle someone added? Who knows?

The B was made '53-65 with alot of configurations, three cab designs, two hood lengths, two hood widths. Price? That usually depends on what you are willing to pay, what he is willing to sell for. Location has alot to do with pricing also. $1500 might be good price, others might want $5500 for same truck. The floor is easily replaced, as I put a new one in my truck after I bought it. It was rough in the corners under windshield(that leaked) and I cut it all out and replaced it.

Hello, Hope it's ok to ask my question on this thread?

It pays to look and read. We were wondering what years the Bs were built, and bingo, here it is. '53-65. I knew of the two hood lengths, but didn't know about the cab designs and hood widths.

My son is 6'4" and the B Models were never very "tall" friendly. Is there a cab/w long hood with more leg room?

Also, I'd better 'fess up. I sold my B61 several years ago, so maybe shouldn't have listed it as it appears I still own one.

Thanks,

Cayoterun

Hello, Hope it's ok to ask my question on this thread?

It pays to look and read. We were wondering what years the Bs were built, and bingo, here it is. '53-65. I knew of the two hood lengths, but didn't know about the cab designs and hood widths.

My son is 6'4" and the B Models were never very "tall" friendly. Is there a cab/w long hood with more leg room?

Also, I'd better 'fess up. I sold my B61 several years ago, so maybe shouldn't have listed it as it appears I still own one.

Thanks,

Cayoterun

Your not bothering me Cayoterun, but I'm unable to answer your question myself. The guys on here will be able to tell you better than me though. Good luck

Cayoterun.

There are some people here who know a lot more than I do but I'll give this a shot -

I think that all of the B model cabs themselves are essentially the same dimensions. The fenders, hoods and radiator shells are different from model to model.

There are also, however, some differences in some of the cab panels. For instance, a concave, or curved back panel was an option on any of the B cabs. Its' purpose was to allow a longer trailer to be legally hauled. So it is primarily an East Coast option, where the length laws were shorter than west of the Mississippi.

On some of the heavy duty B81 & 83 cabs I have seen a different floor pan, which I understand may have been an option on any B cab. It provides a drop of about 2" to allow for a taller driver.

On the B-66 & 67, the engine protudes through the firewall into the cab which reduces the interior room by quite a bit. Add the concave back panel, and the B-67 is not a good choice for anyone but a skinny, small guy. I'm trying to figure out how I will fit in my own!

So to answer your question, I think you could get a B-61, 73, 75 or any of them other than a B-66 or 67. You might fab up a dropped floor pan like the factory option, and you really should be quite happy with the room.

Good Luck!

Paul Van Scott

Cayoterun.

There are some people here who know a lot more than I do but I'll give this a shot -

I think that all of the B model cabs themselves are essentially the same dimensions. The fenders, hoods and radiator shells are different from model to model.

There are also, however, some differences in some of the cab panels. For instance, a concave, or curved back panel was an option on any of the B cabs. Its' purpose was to allow a longer trailer to be legally hauled. So it is primarily an East Coast option, where the length laws were shorter than west of the Mississippi.

On some of the heavy duty B81 & 83 cabs I have seen a different floor pan, which I understand may have been an option on any B cab. It provides a drop of about 2" to allow for a taller driver.

On the B-66 & 67, the engine protudes through the firewall into the cab which reduces the interior room by quite a bit. Add the concave back panel, and the B-67 is not a good choice for anyone but a skinny, small guy. I'm trying to figure out how I will fit in my own!

So to answer your question, I think you could get a B-61, 73, 75 or any of them other than a B-66 or 67. You might fab up a dropped floor pan like the factory option, and you really should be quite happy with the room.

Good Luck!

Paul Van Scott

I'm learning alot a new tidbits about the B's. It's been over 45yrs since I was around them, and they were all alike with the same company, except the one I used here on the farm.

My son should be showing up on this site. He carries a wireless computor on the truck with him. He needs to be learning with the "old man", too.

Thanks to all,

Cayoterun/Okla