How about this SEXY Oshkosh cabinover!! attachicon.gif89825698.jpg

A friend of mine from Des Moines bought one of these Oshkosh's on a internet gov't auction,they were used for hauling missiles.His was extremely clean and low miles.KTA 600 Cummins,automatic,all wheel drive.He drove it to one of our Central Iowa Chapter meetings last year and the following week it was stolen from his truck yard in Bondurant.Luckily he had survailence cameras and it showed the truck being loaded on a lowboy pulled by a Pete 362.Through some detective work by his nephew and a stroke of luck,they were able to locate the truck some 120 miles east in a small town SW of Dubuque. The roof had been chopped off to clear underpasses on the way to the theif's home,so the truck was pretty much ruined.After they found the truck,it took quite awhile to get cooperation from the local law,but the truck was finally recovered,along with several other stolen items. The theif's fate is still pending,go figure.

Damn! that Big Oshkosh is pretty plush insde for a "Govmint" truck,i mean the button-tuck sleeper upholstery and all, OOO LA LA! KTA 600 Cummins and an automatic? must have been fun to drive!..........................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I didn't know Mack made a cabover until I bought this one in 1967, and rebuilt it in 1980.post-146-0-65079900-1359940596_thumb.jpg post-146-0-58760000-1359940628_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-60463500-1359941330_thumb.jpg

More interesting cabover information, This is from the Diamontd T sales sheet; 1955

New release in the cabover model 921C, double wall aluminum cab, insulated fiberglass roof,

and the first ones used L model Mack doors.

Don't know if it is true or not but a Mack engineer left Mack to develop the Diamont T cabover.

Later production the top of the door was squared off. Might be similar to the G model Mack and KW

sitituation.

• Like 2

Saw one of those Oshkosh COEs on the move up by Minot a few years back. Was hooked to an oversized trailer (probably 10' wide by 60' or so long), looked like they tried to make it look like a normal truck from a distance. Also saw a Marmon conventional with very thick windows pulling a similar trailer.

It's interesting that most of the early COE's were just a raised version of an existing cab, but Mack chose to use mostly new sheet metal for their entry into the field.

I especially like Ford's attempt to use the Bud (C cab) cab combined with what looks like the N cab to make a COE. Makes it pretty obvious that the bean counters had quite a bit of say in the design shop.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Here is another of the prototypes using the LCF Diamond T 22 series cab set up and to the back. It has Diamond T badges and the picture is taken at the DT factory in Chicago. After about 5 pages of discussion on the ATHS What am I forum in 2009 it was finally decided that it went on to become the Emeryville.

post-10459-0-24200700-1359992934_thumb.j

• Like 1

Brocky

Here is another of the prototypes using the LCF Diamond T 22 series cab set up and to the back. It has Diamond T badges and the picture is taken at the DT factory in Chicago. After about 5 pages of discussion on the ATHS What am I forum in 2009 it was finally decided that it went on to become the Emeryville.

Nice! Thats the way I heard it,first a Diamond T,and then the Emeryville (and the smaller IH low cab forward). I also like the story behind the original "Tilt-Cab".I think that was explained in W O T years ago.Named after C. A. Tilt,.President of the Diamond T Motor Car Co.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I agree about the green and brown high binder. It looks strange. The fenders are higher than on the other trucks.

My father just called an N model Ford a two story falcon a couple of weeks ago. I don't remember hearing that growing up.

I said the Reo was the china closet, but it was really the Diamond T. I don't know if they had a knick name for the Reo's.

Here is a better better picture of my AC pumper since someone asked about it even though it has nothing to do with cabovers.

attachicon.gifpictures from phone 075.jpg

Mike

that is a beauty !!

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

You mean one of these?

attachicon.gifstrick-cabunder.jpg

How'd you like to hit a deer or the occasional stray bull with that one? YIKES!! Guess thats why the TEAMSTERS were so opposed to its use by the big fleets. I remember that being in all the big truck mags at the time.The driver sat in it like he was driving a damn Corvette! Aluminum cab and all.You write your own obituary in your logbook,before you take off!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

An MH I once saw. I had Jo stand in front of it and sip a soda for a height comparison. She was arrested for trespassing right after I took the picture.

attachicon.gifmhimg_2699.jpg

Sippin' a soda in front of a Freightliner.

attachicon.gif100_2873.jpg

9000 Ford

attachicon.gif100_4347.jpg

Sipping soda while standing on one leg, what is she some sort of gymnastasist?

• Like 1

Jim

Always wondered about the name Emeryville. Is Emeryville where the cab or truck were manufactured?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Seems as if all the heavy duty truck manufacture's built an experimental

turbine powered truck..... That truck pictured here hands down was the tallest. It appears judging from the the cars sitting along side I think they were called English Fords' or Tanus that it was tested in Europe. So in terms of production trucks Corbitt is probably still the tallest . And as for that only ten were built and they were all for Turner Transfer. This is according to the Corbitt Co history.

Seems as if all the heavy duty truck manufacture's built an experimental

turbine powered truck..... That truck pictured here hands down was the tallest. It appears judging from the the cars sitting along side I think they were called English Fords' or Tanus that it was tested in Europe. So in terms of production trucks Corbitt is probably still the tallest . And as for that only ten were built and they were all for Turner Transfer. This is according to the Corbitt Co history.

ford-gas-turbine-truck-concept-06.jpg

ford-gas-turbine-truck-concept-05.jpg

Ford turbine experimental truck. Photo found on cimbeon.com

I don't remember Ford's streamlined turbine but I do remember GM's. The cab looks to be trailer height (whatever the legal limit was at that time). Thanks for posting!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"