Hendricksons

57 bcr

H&H Cartage, that's one I haven't seen or heard of them in a long time. - Brad

Yes,H&H/F. Smith Cartage-gone but not forgotton! That had a Bernardi Cartage sticker on it last-that fell off too!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

This one (which I had a shot of on the first page),is parked right next to my storage trailers.It has a non running 6-71,and a 10 speed in it.The cab is rotted really bad,but the damn doors shut like a new one! (go figure).Mirrors have thieved off of it(no biggie,same a R-series IH).Otherwise complete.attachicon.gif100_3069.JPGattachicon.gif100_3068.JPGattachicon.gif100_3072.JPGattachicon.gif100_3070.JPGattachicon.gif100_3073.JPG The last year I remember seeing this truck on the road was 1986.That was the year I got out of the ARMY,and started hauling for Meyer Material Co. with my own truck.This truck was originally a Glen Meyer truck out of Palatine,Ill.

Is that a horn ring on the steering wheel? If so, was that common on Hendricksons or just an aftermarket thing?

Jim

Is that a horn ring on the steering wheel? If so, was that common on Hendricksons or just an aftermarket thing?

That was a common thing for Hendricksons,Jim. They had used ROSS steering gears in them.The horn button (or hub) said ROSS on it,with the ring attached to it.Had to be real fun to get your fingers caught in it,wouldn't it? That one pictured,has the ring,but its zip-tied to the spokes in the steering wheel! Hey, at least they didn't just throw it away!

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I don't know,Ernie? I'll have to look into that. Used to see 'em on a few different trucks.But now that you mention it,lot of Diamond T's,and Hendricksons. I'll ask a truck parts guy thats been around,I bet he'll have an answer! Al

Talked to the parts guy today,he called it a "snail-type" muffler that he used to stock.It was made by Stemco (the seal people). Jim DeYoung (of Beaver Dam,Wis.) restored a 931 Diamond T cabover within the last 5 years or so.He has a CHROME "snail-type" muffler on that truck! I'll have to find a picture of that. Al

That was a common thing for Hendricksons,Jim. They had used ROSS steering gears in them.The horn button (or hub) said ROSS on it,with the ring attached to it.Had to be real fun to get your fingers caught in it,wouldn't it? That one pictured,has the ring,but its zip-tied to the spokes in the steering wheel! Hey, at least they didn't just throw it away!

A lot of companies used Ross steering gears-- horn button said Ross cam and lever steering.

We had 260 Brockways with Ross gears in them steered great didn't need power steering!

Also used to belong to a fire co. in West Chester that had a'57 Seagrave Anniversary pumper same steering-same wheel but i think the horn button said Seagrave on it.

Ron

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recognize the red one next to the IH 400,Bruce Thompson owned it for awhile.Musta been took when his son Jerry still owned the IH.The IH was an Iowa truck,ex-Ruan,318 with a 2 stick 4x4,Jerry bought it from my late friend Mike Pagel,I've got a pic somewhere of when I delivered it to Jerry.

I recognize the red one next to the IH 400,Bruce Thompson owned it for awhile.Musta been took when his son Jerry still owned the IH.The IH was an Iowa truck,ex-Ruan,318 with a 2 stick 4x4,Jerry bought it from my late friend Mike Pagel,I've got a pic somewhere of when I delivered it to Jerry.

I took that pic out at Maggio towing 2 or 3 years ago and both trucks are owned by Jim Schrantz now. He is from

Seneca IL and is in the Northwest IL ATHS Chapter.

Snow Day Hendricksons. Enjoy! -Brad

Thats a neat looking wrecker,have only ever seen a handful of Hendricksons in person,somewhat of a rarity on the east coast!............................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought these pics would be appropriate here. This is a 1928 Hendrickson that was at their booth at the

Mid-America Truck Show in Louisville this year. Had a very interesting talk with the guy that was in charge

of getting this truck restored. He said this truck was built in Hendrickson's Chicago plant 20 some years

before they moved to Lyons. It was found in a garage in Joliet IL around 30 years ago. One of the Hendrickson

brothers wanted to restore the truck so it was shipped to Arizona to his house but after about 20 years it

just never happened so he shipped it back to Hendrickson. It was finally restored and is on permanent

display with another truck at their office near I55 and Lemont rd in Lemont IL.

post-13943-0-50735700-1364330821_thumb.j

post-13943-0-88578800-1364330838_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 4 months later...