B873SX Rebuild Update

i spent the day lightly scuffing the frame,I used a red scuff pad and man do my fingers hurt like hell.I will never again do this,live and learn.I will be doing the frame over on Friday with a single stage I have had very good luck with it in the past doing my old Caterpillars tractors.Will post some pic after Friday.

I wasn't going to stir the pot and maybe you guys have had good luck with Kirker/Mack paint but I think it's kind of crappy. I use to pick it up from their facility in Garnerville, NY when I worked for Mack. My personal experience with it was it seemed too watery and didn't cover very well. Just my opinion.

Cheers, Rob

I was wondering how you were going to be able to scuff up something like a frame with all of it's nooks and crannies. Hats off to you, I probably would have taken the easy route and just blasted it again.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I throught about that,just reblasting.But then I would have to put the tires back on and drag it to the blaster.It will be all scruff up by Friday night.Won't be doing anything on Thuresday will be going to Oil City,PA to look over some work me and my brothers are looking at to bid.

could probably spray it with some adhesion promoter just to be safe also. last I knew the kirker paints were poor quality. I have used Acme, Martin Senour and PPG and Dupont products before, Martin and Acme along with PPG are good but Dupont I fond hard to cover when workin with reds and yellows.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I throught about that,just reblasting.But then I would have to put the tires back on and drag it to the blaster.It will be all scruff up by Friday night.Won't be doing anything on Thuresday will be going to Oil City,PA to look over some work me and my brothers are looking at to bid.

You will be in my backyard. I'm about 8 miles from Oil City.

• 3 months later...

I am back to work on the old girl for a little bit here now before I go back in for my last surgery.i have the motor and trans back in place and getting ready to set the radiator back in.i would like to pull here out of the shop and get a picture of here to post here.will try that next week,have to put steering box back in for that to happen..will post them when it done

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well while I'm still recovering from my last surgery I throught I'ld bring my cab for the B87 home and put in the shed,so I can work on it there.I have heat and all the comforts of home there not like the shop.I'm going to sand the cab inside and out all down and get it ready for paint.I have a few holes to weld up that were used to hold the cb and so forth.Will post some pic of it this coming week.

• 1 month later...

Nice work. I would never take a truck that far apart because I would never get it back together. Keep it up. Mike

I took my 1966 JD 110 garden tractor down to the frame (in the early 90s). It is still in pieces in my shed. I bought another one just so I could see how it goes back together.

Kudos to anyone who does a frame off restoration like Mike's B.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Wow, nice work. You take this extremely seriously. I'd love to go that far but funds and free time and the better half's patience wear thin. I have to post some progress pics myself but I don't plan to take it anywhere near that far. One question I have is what are the two large holes through the passenger side of the dash for and what is supposed to plug them up. I had two plastic coffee can lids silicone into them and I'm pretty sure that they are not Mack coffee can lids.

Nice job and that truck deserves the love. If there is a proper plug for the holes does anyone have a picture?

Thanks and keep up the posting of pics and progress! Love every word and every photo.

Greg

Those 2 holes are for different air cleaners setup.My 2 will be block off also.We had a piece of diamond plate alum.covering these 2 hole.I haven't decided what i am going to use.I never intended to take the truck this far,but you all know one thing leads to another.My truck was a road worthly as i drove it into the shop.Like i have said before this truck has been in the family since new and i don't think it has 300,000 miles on it.Hell it never went further than 60 miles from home until the early 80's.It was always kept in the garage at nights.

Great job; you won't be sorry that you went the extra mile to do it all.

Just remember the restorer's mantra if you do one; Bag it, tag it, don't force anything that can't be replaced and take lots of pictures.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Did alittle more work on the cab.You are looking at the right side air vent that is under the aircleaner.Once I removed the aircleaner and the bracket that holds it to the cab I found that over the years moisture had gotten under the bracket and rotted some of the cab.If i had never taken the bracket off i wouldn't had seen it,good reason for taking the cab down as far as i did.I made a patch for it and then had to redrill the holes that hold the bracket to the cab and then cut out for the vent.

post-628-0-17474900-1388862836_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Well did alittle more on the old girl.The two grab handles that are on the cab I had to re drill them since the old on broke off.I'm thinking of what I will do next,would like to get the inside all done and ready for paint within the next two weeks.Will post pic. when I get something done that worth while.

• 2 months later...

Still haven't been cleared by the doctor or the wife to do any heavy lifting,since the last surgery.Will be going back to the doc this Friday till then the wife has been watching me like a hawk.But I did managed to do somemore body work on the old girl.It just about ready for the paint booth.Besides having the wife watching me the weather has just plain sucks with all this snow and cold temp that we have been having to get any painting done.Hopefully the next 2 weeks will be better.Here are the latest pictures of the old girl.

post-628-0-53164900-1394398183_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-40723800-1394398198_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-03575000-1394398214_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-21797900-1394398226_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-05403000-1394398242_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good job. I can't help but wonder if the re-build, and the desire to keep at it, have made your recovery better. Seems like when we have something to look forward to it makes us heal up faster.

I really look forward to your update posts.