B873SX Rebuild Update

My wife is great about it.We'll be married 29 years on the 28th of this month.So after all the shit I've broughted home she has never said get it outta here.I always tell here I could be out drinking and chasing other woman around she just looks at me and shakes her head.

Im going on 27 years myself and my wife doesnt say much either. I guess some of us get lucky.

I am waiting for a friend to bring his loader over to the yard so I can use it to pull the frame and rears into the shop to sandblast it inside.The weather hasn't been that great to do it outside.This way I can take my time and do the whole frame at once and not have to worry about tarping it at night.

I moved the frame into the shop to do the sandblasting,it alot easier to recover the sand to reuse it when you are doing it inside.Besides there is an apartment complex next store and I didn't want any of the good folk start bitching about the dust and noise.It doesn't matter that we have been here only about 50 plus years before they came along,they have all the rights.I moved it inside on Thursday and have been at it ever sence.I guess I have about 2-3 days left.Our tire guy is coming by on Monday to loosen up the lugnut on the rear wheels so I can remove them.That way it make it real easy to get around the rears.

post-628-0-07351200-1367177183_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-22218100-1367177199_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I moved the frame into the shop to do the sandblasting,it alot easier to recover the sand to reuse it when you are doing it inside.Besides there is an apartment complex next store and I didn't want any of the good folk start bitching about the dust and noise.It doesn't matter that we have been here only about 50 plus years before they came along,they have all the rights.I moved it inside on Thursday and have been at it ever sence.I guess I have about 2-3 days left.Our tire guy is coming by on Monday to loosen up the lugnut on the rear wheels so I can remove them.That way it make it real easy to get around the rears.

Very nice. Looking real good! What are you using for media? It looks like play sand. I would caution if so.

I am using sandblast sand.I have used this before on my antique caterpillar's and my R model before.Have had great luck using it.Bout the only thing it doesn't remove is grease.

I wish I could be this far along with my truck :( looking good though.

I got to pick up the pace I'm moving at.I was told about 8 month ago that I will be needing a knee replacement,at that time I laugh and told doc I'ld see him in 5years and he just looked and laugh at me.He has been into my rifgt knee 5 times,what the all saying "how many times can you go to the well".So I pack it in ice every morning and night.Well onto better things,waiting for tire man to come by and break loose the lugnuts on the rear tires,so they can be removed and I'll finish up with the sandblasting.In the meantime I'll sandblast all the smaller parts,fuel tanks,fenders,hood,airtanks,and so on.Will keep you posted on the progress of the truck.

I know it must be getting alittle boring seeing these same pic,but I promise the next ones will have some paint in them.Over the weekend I finished up with the bulk of the sandblasting of the frame,airtanks,fuel tanks and alot of the smaller parts.I have oredered the primer and will be picking out the red hopefully today at the paint store.I think I'm going with the Ford F1 red paint,that whats on my R model,the wheels on this truck I will be using silver to break up all the red color.

post-628-0-89424500-1367844120_thumb.jpg

I know it must be getting alittle boring seeing these same pic,but I promise the next ones will have some paint in them.Over the weekend I finished up with the bulk of the sandblasting of the frame,airtanks,fuel tanks and alot of the smaller parts.I have oredered the primer and will be picking out the red hopefully today at the paint store.I think I'm going with the Ford F1 red paint,that whats on my R model,the wheels on this truck I will be using silver to break up all the red color.

More pictures the better. Never bored here. I look forward to each update. Thanks

Lot of work and it looks great. Make sure you write the paint number inside the glove box door so future owners will have a shot at matching it. I have bought a couple of re-painted rigs that were a real PIA because the painter didn't have the forethought to do that.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I won't have to worry about any future owners,after I get done with this truck my son will become the proud owner of it

And if you are like me you won't remember either.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 3 weeks later...

When I f up I f up.I painted the frame of the b87 yesterday,thinking i was using a single stage paint.I have looked over so many different shades of red and different brands, I forgot what I had ordered.Well I was using a basecoat clear coat.I was doing great until I found out that I didn't have any clear coat.Well it's as dull as it can get.I will be calling the maker (Kirker paint) on Tuesday to see what I should do.I'm thinking that I will have to scruff it up and then put the clear over it.I think what I would like to do is to use a single stage over the basecoat rather than the clear coat.I have had good luck using the single stage paint in the past.

Hey there! Depending on what their basecoat open time is the worst case is you put another wet coat of base on to re-wet for clear. Most top paint maufacturers have open basecoat times of 16hrs or indefinately as long as it doesnt get sunlight. The only time that single stage is more durable than clearcoat is when it is hard enamel. Most high end car paint is acrylic urethane so the clear is actually just as good. Don't worry, this should be no big deal but as I said before, check your technical data sheet on the basecoat for re-coatability times and you should be fine. Good luck! Darren