My grandfather built a wrecker body on a 51 or 52 A40H , i would like to start a restoration on this truck and found found a 51 or 52 A40X. First question are there any major differences between 51 and 52 . Second between an H model and X model (x extra low gear??). My truck was a originally a dump truck, parts truck was a mixer,now a flat bed. My model # is A40H8944 ser# EQS1D1207. Any and all information would be helpful.

Thanks

BP

Edited by parkerstruckrepair

If you haven't done so yet, the first thing you need to do is write the Mack Museum with the chassis numbers for both trucks to get their build sheets. That will tell you what each truck has in common as far as components. They will supply you with a manual for each as well as any history they have of the truck's delivery.

The service is free, but a suitable donation to the museum is expected. (at least by the members here!)

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Welcome to the forum. As Ron said you have two different serial numbers there. One is for an A40 and the other is for an EQ. Are they on the same truck? The EQ is a older truck.

As for A40H versus A40X, the X would be a heavier truck maybe with double frame, heavier suspension and rear. They would have the same sheet metal and engine.

How about some pictures?

Mike

Mike ,Ron

Thanks for the information, will try and get some pictures and also the info. off of the new find. New find is a very complete truck, nice shape, good sheet metal and lots of extras. As for my old girl, not sure?? My grandfather purchaesed it July of 1960. Certificate of junk has number as EQS1D1207, when my family completed the build our title has numbers A40H8944 and E9414056(not sure about this one). As i am new to this were woould you find the correct numbers on the old truck??

Thanks for all of the info

Bernie

The chassis number should be stamped into the frame rail just forward of the right front wheel.

Your truck wouldn't be the first that had the chassis number tag stolen at some point. In this case I suspect the junk yard took the easy way out and just put a tag from another truck on it to secure a title.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

The chassis number should be stamped into the frame rail just forward of the right front wheel.

Your truck wouldn't be the first that had the chassis number tag stolen at some point. In this case I suspect the junk yard took the easy way out and just put a tag from another truck on it to secure a title.

on the A and E models,it was stamped at the rear of the frame,not up front by the front wheel,most of the time on the right side(have seen it on left side too) around the rear spring hanger towards the top of the rail,this was a bad spot because it was often covered or chopped off with modifications to the frame

The cabs on E and A models were the same. The cowl might be a little different. The grill is different. The fenders and hood are different on different sized A model so I would suspect are also different on E models. Superdog will know the answer. He has some of each.

How about posting some pictures? I know it is pain, but we love them.

Mike

the ifferent between cabs is the A model had a wing window in door,gauges had a black back ground as compared to a fawn in E model,most A model the windshield was in rubber to give them a bigger windshield,bigger engines,X models had double reduction rear ends would be an option on H models.there was maybe more diffs.

• 1 month later...

post-10852-0-94730200-1362500617_thumb.jpost-10852-0-14250900-1362500644_thumb.jpost-10852-0-87321800-1362500676_thumb.jpost-10852-0-75323100-1362500691_thumb.jpost-10852-0-13852900-1362500702_thumb.j

Here are some pictures of the trucks, First (4) are the A40X i purchased for the rebuid. Actually in very good shape, lots of sheet metal, hoods, doors etc. Fresh rebuild on engine and tranny. Lots of parts . Last is the 51 A40H i'm going to restore, This was taken after they built it back in the 60's. Let the fun begin.

Bp

• Like 2

Actually the flat bed owner was a friend of mine. He restored old construction equipment, and was going to haul a cat dozer he had restored. However he got sick and passed away before he could complete his restoration of the truck. Very sad.. My grandfather was a smart old guy, started our repair business in 1934. He designed and with my father and uncle built the wrecker body you see there. Yes it is picking it up off the ground, very impressive for the 1960's

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

The flat bed Mack is for sale, if anyone knows of anybody looking for a project.  I have all the parts, doors, hood fenders etc.  Motor is a fresh rebuild in the crate, i believe the transmission was done as well.  Truck is in Erie Pa.  Contact me at babparker@gmail.com or on this site.  Please pass the word.

Thanks

Bernie