Why! New truck problems

refusegetter

If the DPF was cracked that stack top would be black, its not, if you look at the air intake the plastic screen is melted IN as in started to melt and the suction pulled it IN so its not running backwards or it would be melted off and out. If you look at the placement of the air intake and exhaust the exhaust is close to the bed and inboard of the intake being inboard puts it in a low pressure area while in motion and makes the exhaust heat build up under the cab guard and get recycled into the air intake, even under normal operating temps with that setup on an older truck I would expect the same thing std exhaust temp is hot enough to melt that plastic screen and cook an air filter. I dont know I guess its just me but I have had to deal with issues like this on dump trucks and buses before, if the exhaust is not exiting in clear air it will not exit and it will cook whatever it is close to, its not that expensive to see if im wrong and Ill gladly admit it if I am. However on a dump truck exhaust in front of the bed is pretty much the same thing, take that stack top off and put a 90 degree turnout on it that runs out past the edge of that bady and try it if it doesnt work what are you out really? and if it does you just fixed it before you cooked your intake and did possibler engine damage pulling in hot air all day. Im out!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

If he is seeing soot on the body paint around the exhaust its probably coming from the exhaust which is a sign of a crack filter or a filter that is leaking around the edges. There shouldnt be any soot anywhere near the stack. Front loaders run with the forks somewhat forward so putting a 90 out to the body could put the exhaust right at the arms, depending on where the driver has them. Its under warranty so it needs to go back to the dealer.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Update.... Our local dealer looked at the truck and never came up with a cause or did anything to fix the problem. As of recently everything seems fine. Furthermore I'm entirely disappointed that Mack wouldn't even cover the cost of the replacement air filter nor the plastic mesh for the air intake.

how could they not cover it its warranty ? but goodluck with the pete if its cummins powered its junk

Not covered. Like big Tom Callahan said a warranty is just a bunch of words on paper that make the buyer feel good. As far as the Pete, yes it's powered by a Cummins. Thanks for sharing your opinion

Not covered. Like big Tom Callahan said a warranty is just a bunch of words on paper that make the buyer feel good. As far as the Pete, yes it's powered by a Cummins. Thanks for sharing your opinion

Friend of mine over at ATS has a 2013 he has put 100k on 4 Axle tractor. Cummins powered. No major problems and it pulls like a raped ape, When they don't screw with the programing. Think they got alot of the bugs worked out of them. Should be a good truck.

• Like 1

Friend of mine over at ATS has a 2013 he has put 100k on 4 Axle tractor. Cummins powered. No major problems and it pulls like a raped ape, When they don't screw with the programing. Think they got alot of the bugs worked out of them. Should be a good truck.

Little Tommy Callahan. Me want wingy.

well i hope its good for you. i just have heard of so many newer cummins 2008 thru 2012 that are having issues with sensors and dpf clogging and injector issues i wouldnt buy one id go witha freightliner with detroit if i was going away from mack.

my dad was talking to a guy that had a 2012 pete 389 with a 600 cummins . he said the truck was great and drove nice but the engine sucked. he was getting 2.8 mpg and broke down all the time so he sold it.

Buddy has a 2013 getting over 6.4 with 4.33's in the back. usually pulls good until they tinker with it. It is going in the shop today. Running hotter then normal. He loves it Probably pre 13 is the problem. Detroit has there own problems

maybe they did get them straightened out. im just not a cummins fan. in my area no one wants to work on them. i guess the software to to work on them costs tons of money and you have to work on all cummins diesels even dodge trucks and equipment with cummins if you become a certified cummins dealer, atleast thats what i was told. i saw a mack CL with a cumminsisx 565 hp drop a valve with like 10k hrs on the engine it cost the guy 20k to fix it, new head and injectors and one new piston is all he could afford .