A familiar sight to most "jerseyans" Shop-Rite Supermarkets Inc. Elizabeth,NJ..............................................Mark

Look at what all that epa crap mounted on the frame rails did to that wheelbase. It must be fun delivering to northeast supermarkets with that. Pitt Ohio has a multi-section air tank mounted vertically behind the cab and went with a smaller fuel tank on the side with the def tank to keep the wheelbase to a reasonable length.

Jim

Look at what all that epa crap mounted on the frame rails did to that wheelbase. It must be fun delivering to northeast supermarkets with that. Pitt Ohio has a multi-section air tank mounted vertically behind the cab and went with a smaller fuel tank on the side with the def tank to keep the wheelbase to a reasonable length.

I would think so! most supermarkets in the northeast are still set up for 40's and 45's pulled by single axles,there is an "ACME" market in a neighboring town near where i lived in Jersey that is ABSOULTELY unchanged from the 1950's! looks really "out of place" to anyone but longtime residents..................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Forgot to add the pictures, Clayton,NJ ACME market as it stands today,from what i've been told this is the very last store of its type anywhere,been there long enough i can remember riding in the STEEL shopping cart pushed by my Grandmom!..................Mark

post-5836-0-68811600-1358618967_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-46171100-1358618996.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Vision 386, if you didn't have modern cars parked in the lot I wouldn't have believed you. That is a holdover from the old days and I remember them fondly.

• Like 1

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

Thats a great picture with the B-models!,i sure remember those too! i have looked long and hard for this old Marx toy ACME truck,i have a Shop-Rite about the same age,but its not in too gooda shape!................................Mark

post-5836-0-33968700-1358621697.jpg

Thats a great picture with the B-models!,i sure remember those too! i have looked long and hard for this old Marx toy ACME truck,i have a Shop-Rite about the same age,but its not in too gooda shape!................................Mark

I had that truck, and one from the A&P too

Still the Greatest Name in Trucks...Bulldogs rule, The rest drool....

Member ATHS and ATCA...

Mark, Canete is out of Wayne NJ. They also have a very nice Western Star tandem with heavy specs.

Cheers, Robert

Thanks for the info! been trying to keep em' straight! LOL!..................................................Mark

Mark, I see the Campbell's trucks all the time and I know they've been around for awhile. I checked their website and found this little tidbit.

"The company was sold to Mr. Randall Worthington around 1923, and continued as a 1 to 2 truck operation. In 1935, due to the enactment of the "Motor Carrier Act", Campbell's Auto Express received its Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity. The ICC 109 that it received is one of the lowest certificates still in existence."

I thought that was pretty cool how a small family run business can survive so long.

I always heard Campbells was a good place to work,i know they have many long-time drivers,at least one who's been with them 42 years!....................................Mark

Mark, English is still running some DM's and a few older RD tandems. Majority are triaxles now.

Cheers, Robert

I thought so,i saw some DM's running around late last year when i made a delivery in the area..............................................Mark