Lifter replacement

PEE WEE

I have a 1999 e-tech 350 with a bad cam and 3 lifter rollers that are flat. Looking up at the h ring on the lifers that failed, it looks like the h ring is turned a little bit causing the lifter to not be flat on the lobe as it should be. What is the procedure to replace the h ring? And how do you determine the proper place to set it in the block? It looks to me like it would take a special tool to set it the right height. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Mason said:

I have a 1999 e-tech 350 with a bad cam and 3 lifter rollers that are flat. Looking up at the h ring on the lifers that failed, it looks like the h ring is turned a little bit causing the lifter to not be flat on the lobe as it should be. What is the procedure to replace the h ring? And how do you determine the proper place to set it in the block? It looks to me like it would take a special tool to set it the right height. 

You have to pull the head, you drive them into the top of the block with a special tool .  I would pull both heads and check all H rings for height and alignment with the tool .     https://www.freedomracing.com/j-41683-a-h-ring-installation-tool-alt-st-271.html?___store=default&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTkQYu8bovPFGcCPy2y3lwijWKKRUkv5vQDubzklDPSd8BvcFQuMN3kaAh8wEALw_wcB

Thanks for the reply. I found the tool you mentioned at a couple of different places and some of those vendors advertise that the h ring can be installed from the crankcase with this tool...is this true? And, they are saying another tool, J-46083, is needed to check alignment after installing the h ring. Does the installation tool hold the h ring so that it will be aligned properly during installation?

• 2 years later...
On 12/29/2012 at 6:11 PM, staxx said:

You will also need to check the H-rings these hold the lifter in position and if it has been knocked loose you will need to relace , which involves removing cylinder head.

Helo , I got a question. Is there a way to align 

h-rings . So the lifter is in the right position, 

I m replacing all the lifters on 2004 Mack e7 thx in advance.,

If you believe they have moved,,,,   Replace them !!  there are 2 essential tools for this job..  the long black one is a depth gauge and alingment checker.. It is used from the bottom with the pan down..  the silver tool can also be used to check them when the heads are off..  It is the tool you need.. it is also the installer..  there are 3 types of H-rings available, std.  and 2 that are oversized.. I think one is .002'' and the other is .005''..  they are for bores that had H-Rings move..  the 3rd thing you will need is the sleeve retainer fluid..

''Winging this repair will cost you a cam shaft and all the labor to pull the heads and do it right..   It only takes 1 miss-aligned H-ring...  Jojo

KIMG2385.JPG

KIMG2387.JPG

KIMG2386.JPG