Chicago R models

2 companys here in Joliet who had r models are diamond const and p t ferro ferro just sold his last r models last year and think d construction of coal city still has 1or2runnin around

Gettin' scarce,huh?

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Celli ruled in the day. B Models R Models and CHs Not sure if they ran LJ's or superliners Great paint scheme. :twothumbsup:

You bet,James.I think they had about every Mack model except a U,MB,and DM.They started hauling bagged cement with an AC in the '30's (although Celli Bros. was started in '22)In their "new" place (at North Ave & Mannheim Rd.),there is about 50-60 pictures on the walls showing the different units they ran over the years.A real "Hall of Fame" if you will! I took pictures of pictures,and will include some in this thread soon. At one time Gene Celli required you paint the truck his colors (if you were an O/O).After awhile,he relaxed that requirement and you could really tell the owner/operators from the fleet units.I can remember at least one Super-Liner (an o/o) that was painted yellow & orange. :bulldog3:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

BCR Somewhere on this site there is mention of Gene Celli still showing up for work everyday. Also there was indication that there were still Celli Visions or Pinnacles hauling dry cement.

Yes,James! When I went to interview him for his ATHS awards,he was showing up for work everyday! He is almost 91 now and doesn't get around as good as he'd like to.There are still Pinnacles,CH's,Visions,and at least one RB tractor,still hauling bulk cement,but he sold that business a few years back & the company was renamed "Cement Transport Co.".Still CTC,but different style lettering to let you know its not "Celli".The trucks are still painted the green,gray,and red as always. Al

My dad calls that company Harrys Murder Service because a lot of the their drivers were known for being gear bangers and getting in accidents lol

Oh yeah! This picture was probably the cleanest Harry's truck seen for a lonnnnng time!!! :loldude:

that McCook pit was and still is a nightmare!and a lot of those in there dont under stand english.was on one of our jobs in oakbrook and saw the harrys truck drive by with our stone 4 times!!! while i unloaded equip.man our foreman was pissed!!

that McCook pit was and still is a nightmare!and a lot of those in there dont under stand english.was on one of our jobs in oakbrook and saw the harrys truck drive by with our stone 4 times!!! while i unloaded equip.man our foreman was pissed!!

All of the signs in McCook are in 3 languages. Spanish, polish, english. The place is crazy. I was at the counter at Mack in Summit one day, Polish guy needed a belt for his truck and the Counter man asked "whats it for?", polish guy "CH 613" , Counter Man "Last 6 of the VIN?", Polish guy "CH 613" they went back and forth like that for awhile until someone stepped in that could speak both languages. -Brad

Your Chicago area R model of the day goes to...post-510-0-80671900-1357741562_thumb.jpg......Wanatah....for the second time! Back of the postcard said it was the last of their 55 trailer order! Notice the FARR dry air cleaners on these trucks.

• Like 1

Are there still a lor of R models running around the Chicago area. They are pretty much gone in the east. I am guessing there are more R models still running in the Chicago area than any where else in the country. BCR- Sure would be nice to see pictures of those Celli Macks. When I was a kid in wheeling

Illinois I would wait for the bus at an intersection. This intersection was truck heaven. Celli Macks,

Meyer Macks and FWD's, Dundee sand and gravel Hendricksons, Crystal Lake Hendricksons, Bongi Macks. One of the Crystal lake Hendricksons had the wierdest sounding engine. Later found out it was a 2 cycle

Harnishfegger. I am guessing that intersection made me the Mack nut that I am today.

Are there still a lor of R models running around the Chicago area. They are pretty much gone in the east. I am guessing there are more R models still running in the Chicago area than any where else in the country. BCR- Sure would be nice to see pictures of those Celli Macks. When I was a kid in wheeling Illinois I would wait for the bus at an intersection. This intersection was truck heaven. Celli Macks, Meyer Macks and FWD's, Dundee sand and gravel Hendricksons, Crystal Lake Hendricksons, Bongi Macks. One of the Crystal lake Hendricksons had the wierdest sounding engine. Later found out it was a 2 cycle Harnishfegger. I am guessing that intersection made me the Mack nut that I am today.

I see less and less every year but their still is a good handfull running around. the ones left are either on their last leg or the owners have brought them back to life for one more go.

Alot of slope nose RD will be seen and a few superliners can be found. With the bad economy many have been sold or are just in hiding. 20 years ago it seamed that Mack was the only truck around. If you had a fleet you bought mack becasue of easy part swap and a strong local dealer network. However In the mid 90s I think Mack got a little cocky with prices and thoughts about their compitetion. When Pete and KW started to show force around here with their "new kind of truck" that cost less, had a bigger cab, air ride everything people started to look at them as a step up. First came the paccar lowboy trucks, then when the dump trucks started wearing out they went with pete tractors. This has been the status for about 15 years now. However many fleets found out quick that these new pete/ KW trucks even if speced very simmilar still did not have the ease of parts swaping like the old macks did. so when one was broke down it was harder to get it going with bone yard parts, regardless of that the fleet numbers have dropped in numbers, 15 years ago a large fleet was 20+ trucks now these same companies just keep 1-2 trucks around and hire out owner operators as its cheeper to pay a guy to bring his truck than to pay for your own to sit when no work is around.

Seams that mack is making a comeback but the economy is not helping with growth. I see 2x more macks running around the citys near NY,NJ, LI

Trent

James,there are a few R's left.But most have taken a boat ride,sorry to say.There is a bunch of CH's,Pinnacles,Granites,RD's,a few RB's, a stray RS/RL,couple of Super-Liners, and an R or two! I work for Meyer,but don't have many pictures of their trucks (have to change that).The last FWD's we had were sold about 15 years ago.Some of those were still 501 IHC gassers! A buddy of mine is rebuilding a '57 Hendrickson that was a former Dundee S&G truck.You can still see "DUNDEE" on the bumper,although it was painted over.I know where at least 1 of the old Algonquin Hendricksons is at,but its pretty weak. Another one was turned into a single axle by Buck Buchanon of Walworth,Wis.He just sold that about 2 months ago! Yep, P & H (Harnishfeger) had an engine plant in Crystal Lake,years ago.They provided "test motors" for many a local fleet around here. Their version of the 2 stroke diesel,couldn't hold a candle to the "green ones" from Detroit! I've heard stories of rebuilding, right on the side of the road, through the generous sized inspection holes on the sides of their motors! Don't have too many pictures of Celli R models,but will post some of the B,LJ,LT,and others in another thread(after all, this is "Chicago R models").

Brites is still around. Thanks for all these cool old pics.
No problem,Trent! I was wondering if they made through all the "foreign intervention"? I have only a couple more Axle postcards then I have a bunch of misc. pics to post.Stay tuned!

I see less and less every year but their still is a good handfull running around. the ones left are either on their last leg or the owners have brought them back to life for one more go.

Alot of slope nose RD will be seen and a few superliners can be found. With the bad economy many have been sold or are just in hiding. 20 years ago it seamed that Mack was the only truck around. If you had a fleet you bought mack becasue of easy part swap and a strong local dealer network. However In the mid 90s I think Mack got a little cocky with prices and thoughts about their compitetion. When Pete and KW started to show force around here with their "new kind of truck" that cost less, had a bigger cab, air ride everything people started to look at them as a step up. First came the paccar lowboy trucks, then when the dump trucks started wearing out they went with pete tractors. This has been the status for about 15 years now. However many fleets found out quick that these new pete/ KW trucks even if speced very simmilar still did not have the ease of parts swaping like the old macks did. so when one was broke down it was harder to get it going with bone yard parts, regardless of that the fleet numbers have dropped in numbers, 15 years ago a large fleet was 20+ trucks now these same companies just keep 1-2 trucks around and hire out owner operators as its cheeper to pay a guy to bring his truck than to pay for your own to sit when no work is around.

Seams that mack is making a comeback but the economy is not helping with growth. I see 2x more macks running around the citys near NY,NJ, LI

Trent

Sadly, it's the same story around here in the Midsouth. There's one guy in Southaven, MS (greater Memphis, TN area) that runs nothing but R and RD dumps, all painted a different color. He has a fleet of about 15 trucks and maintains them better than most. I for one plan on running my RD until I can't buy parts anymore, then I doubt I'll run a truck, just stick with the dirt business and hire owner operators before I buy brand x.

Jake