Chicago R models

Thank you for the comments. The Dorsey dump trailer was new in the picture. I repainted the 700L a two tone blue and it was sold twice after I owned it. S & S Excavating from Naperville, IL was the last owner I know of.

Here is a picture of one of Catom Trucking's early R models (107). A few of these R's were painted metalic brown and worked for US Dismantlement (E&E Hauling), who were on Milwaukee Ave. in Chicago. They pulled 50 yard wrecking trailers around Chicago and Milwaukee. In the first picture I was moving a crusher in Elgin, IL Second, I just loaded 2 case loaders in the middle of winter going to a job in Wisconsin. This Mack had a 300 with a 2 stick 6 speed trans.

Awesome. Do you have any U model pictures?

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

I have been reading the posts for a while, and thought I would post a few pictures.

Here is my 1976 RS700L I bought in 1980 from Tom Stellman (CatomTrucking). He replaced this truck with a new Superliner. The "L" had a V8 with a Mack 6 speed (2 stick), and 417 rears. A lot of miles running (racing?) up and down Rt 59 out of the Plainfield pits. I will will be adding more pictures later. Ken

Sharp looking truck. I didn't know Catom had been around so long. It is cool to see the old stuff, thanks.

KMCTOYS you now drive a real truck , ( only kidding ) my guess is that you are the KMCTOYS that I know from another passion you have ! nice to see you here .

Your Mack is a beauty .

HA! I see you found me here. I have not heard from you in a while.

Edited by kcmtoys

I bought a reliable wrecking b model from N J funk. It was set up with a 711 and 20 speed. Frame and cab were beyond repair. Should have passed on it but it was one of the only b models I had seen.

I got my Chauffeur's license(pre CDL) with that B Model. I worked there part time in the 70's before Catom. That truck was originally a Hertz truck with a winch and the dreaded air assist steering. Otto Heinz (Reliable) sold it to a guy in MO who never picked it up. It sat at his farm for a lot of years. Unfortunatle, I have lost a lot of pictures, and Reliable's B was one in that bunch.

isnt that dave stellmans brother?he had stellman trucking in plainfield.

Yes, unfortunatley Dave (the black sheep of the family) is Tom's brother. Tom, myself, and Frank Kindle hauled gravel for Dave in the beginning out of E & E's pit, Avery's, Boughton's, Thelen's, and others. After a short time, Tom went on his own.

I bought that truck about 8 years ago. It was in funks old yard at rt22 and 14. I was 22 years old and had just found my first Chicago b model. The cab had no floor inside. Had old for sale signs used for a fake floor Rust holes around every window. The rear wall had a steel brace that I assume was to hold it to the frame because the rust was so bad. Double frame was spreading so bad that the rails were cracked in 3 spots. It had the air assist but not hooked up. Rear camelbacks had the old roto chambers. I saved the engine,doors,hood,fenders,and rear ends. Put some of that stuff into the CTC b model I bought a few years later.

Trent

Thanks for posting the pictures Trent.

Your Chicago R model of the day belongs to..... scan0012.jpg The Belding Co. of Chicago.This former heavy-hauling outfit took this R model and its load from outside of Chicago,and delivered it to the USSR! Wonder what the rate was on that one? Probably didn't get a backhaul either! Should have read more about the details of this haul.I think the truck featured a 237 Maxidyne and a 6 speed.Typical tri-axle lowboy truck today-at least double the horsepower,triple the gears!

That's a great looking r model and I really like the 700L.

I recently bought a 12 speed for my RS700L and hope to have it in soon. I also added an air ride cab set up a few years back and it rides pretty good. Would like to swap in some superliner front springs to soften it up even more..

Thanks for posting up these great looking Chicago Mack's..

Here is a just outside of Chicagoland R. I think this truck is a 68 but I might be wrong on that, but one thing I know is that unfortunately

this truck left us for warmer weather and is now doing hard time in Nigeria.

Nice one, Brian! Putting a west coast grille on an east coast R, was the thing to do around here back in the day.I remember several guys that did that!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA